Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes - for those interested in the Ashes  (Read 38514 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

Lord Bungle

Re: The Ashes
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2011, 01:29:57 am »

I like it  O0 %% {-) {-)

Peter.
I was trying to find the link about Ponting getting a gong in new year honours for services to English Cricket, but I seem to have lost it somewhere, But thought that would put a smile on a few faces

Martin13

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2011, 01:33:32 am »

{-) {-) {-) just deflecting from the topic ASHES...which in OZ are GREYISH....did you notice Julias grey part a few days ago?  {-) O0

Ohhh Derek, don't you know it's not wise to mention a lady's grey bits. I did recently and got a back hander on the skull from the missus - then she visited the hairdresser %)

Johnson and Hilfenhaus are delaying the Poms from and early batting session - ahhh 8 for 230 at lunch - starve the poms a bit longer

barryfoote

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:05 am »

I originally started this topic to have a good natured discussion about the Ashes series but, unfortunately, some people are not capable of replying in a friendly manner. I have always regarded the sporting rivalry between Australia and England as an amicable one, but some feel it necessary to make derogatory, supposedly funny, remarks. Fortunately, the vast majority also look upon the rivalry as friendly, and don't feel the need for ridiculous or inflammatory comments.

Peter.

I totally agree Peter and long may it last..... ok2 ok2 ok2 ok2

Any way close of play and the game is evenly balanced, thanks to Pieterson's stupid attempted hook, 4 overs from the end. He may just have handed the initiative back to Australia. Tomorrow should be a great days cricket. Come on you Poms.. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

bigfella

« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2011, 09:52:37 pm »

I blame myself for Australia's poor show in the Ashes. Every year when sides tour I always pray for them to do well so we have some competition instead of a test only lasting 3 days. I did it again this time and I think that it went a little to far. Oh bring back the days when Australia would rap up a test in three days and only have to bat once. Sorry Australia I think it is my fault :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:.

Regards David

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:48 pm »

:o {-) %%...this is very humbling of you David....to accept the full & singular blame for the loss of a little wooden jar filled with dead bits & pieces......on behalf of our 22 1/2 million people ..sorry....22M are OZ.....the balance 1/2M are KIWI

SORRY again  >>:-( <*< <:( ...we have a few good KIWI members ... {-) O0....one guy even looks like a BLUE MOOSE ??????? ...can't quite remember his name...... :kiss: Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin13

Re: The Ashes - for those interested in the Ashes
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2011, 03:35:26 am »

My opinion of the Barmy Army has changed. Whilst listening to the cricket on the way home from hospital, the commentators said that the Barmy Army made a large contribution to the "McGrath Foundation"

Well done BA - keep on singing and drinking - also contributing to the Australian economy %) O0 O0 O0

Martin du

P.S - So your to blame - shame on you David <*<

barryfoote

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:06 pm »

Well with a lead over over 200 and four wickets left, albeit a little controversially!!!! I do not think Australia can pull this one out of the fire..

I am going to relax now and enjoy the next couple of days...

What do you think Peter?? :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2011, 11:36:27 pm »

What do you think Peter?? :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Cricket??? What cricket?? Is there cricket on, Barry? {-) {-)

Silly me, of course there is, I watched a 20/20 game between South Australia and New South Wales the other night, and very entertaining it was, too. The crowd was ducking for cover as West Indian, Kieron Pollard, playing for SA, kept hitting sixes.

Were you referring to some other obscure match, Barry? %) %%

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2011, 11:39:49 pm »

I thought the Aussies were playing practice matches in preparation for the 20/20 and ODI games where the REAL entertainment exists %) %) %) %) %)

Mdu

Martin13

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2011, 10:21:34 am »

Hey Pete,

Did you hear the results of the other game over in Perth. Our girls are playing the Poms in an ODI series - Australia won by 33 runs. England 9/151 and Aussies 7/194 - the Aussies are 1 up in the series - GO GIRLS :-)) :-))

Mdu

chingdevil

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2011, 12:08:33 pm »

It sounds to me that Peter and MDU are getting desperate to see a cricket match where Australia are not loosing, go England

Brian

sailorboy61

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2011, 12:25:53 pm »

Hey Pete,

Did you hear the results of the other game over in Perth. Our girls are playing the Poms in an ODI series - Australia won by 33 runs. England 9/151 and Aussies 7/194 - the Aussies are 1 up in the series - GO GIRLS :-)) :-))

Mdu

Sexist diversionary tactics me thinks?????                         {-) :D %)

nhp651

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2011, 12:40:15 pm »

iF GOD  had wanted women to play cricket, ........he wouldn't have invented BOXES, lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

barryfoote

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2011, 12:54:37 pm »

Martin and Peter,

At least you do have a one day and 20/20 competition for you to look forward to. I actually reckon you will win that.........but I don't care  %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

A 3-1 Ashes win is priceless!!  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Nordsee

« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2011, 05:05:33 pm »

I just wondered why the Australians call the British, "Poms" After all it is they that claim their Ancestors were " Prisoners of His Majesty" How nice to beable to say, " My Great grandfather/ Mother was a convicted criminal! Still it is I suppose like Inverted Snobbery orZero Achievers. Modern. ( Juck)
  I was only being cynical about throwing a game, I cannot imagine any of the current Teams doing that.

chingdevil

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2011, 05:57:32 pm »

I do not want to digress too far from this thread but I am not sure POM came from being transported, I am sure I have read somewhere that the origin is unknown and until 2006 was classed a derogatory remark. Then Australian Advertising Agency decided it was not, and has allowed it in adverts since then.

Nordsee
Three of my ancestors went to Australia on their own and two went via the Old Bailey :-))

Brian

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2011, 07:43:37 pm »

I do not want to digress too far from this thread but I am not sure POM came from being transported, I am sure I have read somewhere that the origin is unknown and until 2006 was classed a derogatory remark. Then Australian Advertising Agency decided it was not, and has allowed it in adverts since then.

Nordsee
Three of my ancestors went to Australia on their own and two went via the Old Bailey :-))

Brian

Correct my recollection is the term is "Pommie" and has now been shortened to a term of endermeant  <:( <:( <*< <*<
 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) Cause we juz luv ya all.  O0 O0 O0 O0 Why else would we let you win the ???????? oh yeh, the cricket once in a while   %) %) %) %) %)

Sexist diversionary tactics me thinks?????

Oh an we taught weed let the sheilas ave a go while da blokes took a break  8) 8) 8) 8)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2011, 08:38:03 pm »

It sounds to me that Peter and MDU are getting desperate to see a cricket match where Australia are not losing, go England

How did you guess? :o {-)

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2011, 08:53:13 pm »

There has been much discussion over the origin of the term, "Pom" or "Pommie". One theory is that it derives from "Pomegranate", because newly arrived English people were often burned red by the hot Aussie sun, leading to claims that their faces resembled pomegranates. Another theory is as Nordsee suggests, an acronym from Prisoners of His Majesty". I don't think anyone really knows.

Whatever the origin, it is certainly no more derogatory than referring to New Zealanders as Kiwis, Americans as Yanks, or even Australians as Aussies.

Many English still think of Aussies as being descendants of convicts, and a small number of the population can claim that "distinction", but the vast majority, myself included, are descended from free settlers. What also needs to be remembered is many of the convicts were deported, by an extremely harsh penal system, for very minor crimes, including stealing bread to feed their starving families.

Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2011, 09:44:22 pm »

Many English still think of Aussies as being descendants of convicts, and a small number of the population can claim that "distinction", but the vast majority, myself included, are descended from free settlers. What also needs to be remembered is many of the convicts were deported, by an extremely harsh penal system, for very minor crimes, including stealing bread to feed their starving families.

If you can trace your ancestry back to convicts you are considered Australian Nobility and if you can trace it back to the first fleet well you are Royalty.

barryfoote

« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2011, 09:46:25 pm »

Peter,

I for one am proud to be a Pom....... :-)) :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2011, 05:12:04 am »

bigfella.....you could now address sir_derek_of_decocy if you wish.... %% >:-o :P...as a direct decendent of John Nichols.......a convict sent aboard HMS Scarbourough of the first fleet to OZ

Peter.....the [paper work copies] of the convict Trials of ye Olde Baily were bought out to Sydney Cove by a First Fleet vessel........scanned copy pages are available on Microfish viewer at The Mitchell Library in Sydney....

My dear old mum confirmed that this was how so many Australians were able to accurately trace their direct decendents...as many free settlers records were not carefully recorded

What is more interesting is that John Nichols was sentenced in the Olde Baily to be transported to the Americas & spent a few years in the rotting hulks of ships on the Thames, prior to being reclassified as OZ material..... :embarrassed: ....Derek  :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

bigfella

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2011, 05:18:43 am »

bigfella.....you could now address sir_derek_of_decocy if you wish.... %% >:-o :P...as a direct decendent of John Nichols.......a convict sent aboard HMS Scarbourough of the first fleet to OZ

Yes your Highness, pardon me I did not know your were of such lineage :embarrassed: {-) {-) {-). But it is something that you can trace that far back and know that your family have been here since it was first settled.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2011, 05:52:13 am »

Peter.....the [paper work copies] of the convict Trials of ye Olde Baily were bought out to Sydney Cove by a First Fleet vessel........scanned copy pages are available on Microfish viewer at The Mitchell Library in Sydney....

My dear old mum confirmed that this was how so many Australians were able to accurately trace their direct decendents...as many free settlers records were not carefully recorded

What is more interesting is that John Nichols was sentenced in the Olde Baily to be transported to the Americas & spent a few years in the rotting hulks of ships on the Thames, prior to being reclassified as OZ material..... :embarrassed: ....Derek  :-))

It's OK mate them's the breaks, we won't hold it against ya, nuff said she's apples.  :-X :-X :-X :-X
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.