Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ashes - for those interested in the Ashes  (Read 38499 times)

Martin13

Re: The Ashes - for those interested in the Ashes
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2011, 08:52:04 am »

Hey Pete, my wife agrees with you >:-o

Missus doon under

barryfoote

« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2011, 08:59:42 am »

Hey guys, I have had a word with the lads to go easy on you tomorrow.....We don't want your enthusiasm for the game dented too much!!  %% {-)

Martin13

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2011, 11:31:12 am »

Hey guys, I have had a word with the lads to go easy on you tomorrow.....We don't want your enthusiasm for the game dented too much!!  %% {-)

Ohhh...your sooo kind.  %%

djrobbo

« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2011, 04:56:36 pm »

Hi guys...just got back from a month in ozz.......was at the melbourne cricket ground on boxing day......oh what a wonderfuk thing to see and hear with the barmy army in full song.....even managed to bring back two programes of the slaughter....i mean match......

last words..............HO>>HO>>HO.....

regards....bob.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2011, 09:09:03 pm »

I just keep remembering the 2006/7 series 5-0  {-) {-) {-) I have to, I want to forget this one <:( :embarrassed:

Peter.

barryfoote

« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »

Well played Australia. At last a bit of spirit and fight.....Another good game... :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: January 14, 2011, 09:20:53 pm »

Finally, a win over the old enemy :-)) We went close in the first 20/20 and managed a win in the second game...at last, something to cheer about O0 If Shaun Tait is picked for the ODIs then I will give up watching cricket and declare open season on the selectors {-)

Peter.

barryfoote

« Reply #182 on: January 14, 2011, 10:05:44 pm »

Peter,

I could not agree more with you. Here is a man of average ability, very quick, but only an average bowler, who has refused to play in the past. I cannot believe that the Selectors still consider him as suitable. Let someone play who is proud to play for Australia without conditions..

That said, with the way he sprays the ball about, it can only be good for England if he does get picked!! :-)) :-))

Martin13

« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2011, 11:56:05 am »

AUSTRALIA'S PLAN REVEALED AT LAST!

The ASHES were only between 2 teams (England and Australia) and England put all their time and effort into winning that and have taken their eye off the real prize, whilst Australia it seems have kept their eye firmly on the golden prize!

In just a couple of weeks the real prize fight begins with the world cup where the best in the world will be playing not just a 2 horse race like the ashes.

In the ODI's (which of course Australia has just trounced the English side 6-1 leaving them to return home demoralized with their tail between their legs) Australia has shown the England side how the world champions play and have regained form just in time for the real showdown against all the best teams in the world.

Martin doon under

richtea

« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2011, 12:12:59 pm »

Once upon a time the Aussies used to thrash England in the test matches and then relax and let England win the
one day matches.
Funny how things turn around, now it seems that the one day thrashes are what the colonists want to win. {-) {-) {-) {-)

barryfoote

« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2011, 02:19:39 pm »

When I said "Go easy", I did not mean THAT easy!!!!!!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

phillnjack

« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »

It just proves that aussies cant realy play cricket.

im not going to say what they are good at, or ill get banned again

phill

richtea

« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2011, 03:32:23 pm »

Or should that read the Aussies cant play REAL cricket. :} :} :}

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:47 pm »

Cricket, cricket ,cricket did he say cricket

:embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2011, 10:15:08 pm »

It just proves that aussies cant really play cricket.

It's wonderful how some people conveniently forget what it's too painful for them to remember. In the period from 1989 to 2005, England and Australia played 43 tests, with Australia winning 28, England 7 and there were 8 drawn. All except one of England's wins came after the series had been decided. The 2005 series was narrowly won by England, including a 2 run victory in the second test, the smallest winning margin in Ashes history. Australia got its revenge at home in 2007 with a 5-0 whitewash, totally humiliating England but, to be fair, England had some promising young cricketers emerging.

Australia then had a period where many senior players retired and, due to extremely poor management and selection decisions, had virtually no young players with any experience at the top level. This lead to England, who had been through a successful rebuilding process, regaining the Ashes at home in 2009, then going on to crush Australia, in Australia (for the first time in 24 years) to retain the trophy. I don't think any of the above proves that Aussies can't really play cricket, or even play REAL cricket. It's also worth looking at the overall results of Ashes matches from 1882 to the present time. During that period, which covers the whole existence of the Ashes, Australia has won 123, England 100, with 87 drawn. Not bad for a country which can't play real cricket.

To their credit, as Martin doon under kindly pointed out, Australia rallied to totally humiliate England in the one day series 6-1. True, England suffered injuries to a number of key players, but Australia also had injury worries, and some of the top players were rested. England's heavy defeat has come at a very bad time because, with the Cricket World Cup only days away, their confidence has taken a battering, and confidence is a big part of good cricket performance.

In summary, England was by far the better side in the tests, but Australia turned the tables in the ODIs. From an Aussie point of view, the emergence of some very promising young players in the domestic competition, and the performances of established players such as Shane Watson and Mike Hussey, to name but two, gives us hope for the future. I just hope that that Cricket Australia nurtures the youngsters in the right way, and that the selectors do their job properly. If this happens, then Australia will once again take its rightful place at the top of world cricket.

Peter.

richtea

« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2011, 11:34:55 pm »

Dear Peter
Just speaking for myself I have NEVER had any confidence in Englands one day performances.
From the seventies when cricket was dragged into the 20th century by Packer, England have
never really played the shortened game with the confidence shown by Australia and the countries of the sub continent.
Dragging defeat from the jaws of victory is the way England play one day cricket. No one was more surprised than me when we won
the 20/20 world cup.
As for the Ashes, we don't win them often, only 3 times ( 70/71, 86/87, 10/11 ) on Aussie soil in my lifetime.
Regards
Richard

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2011, 03:58:27 am »

Richard, what a lot of people don't understand is that the Ashes series between England and Australia should not be treated as a matter of life and death......it's much more important than that  {-) {-)

The shorter versions of the game are certainly very popular here, although the Ashes tests attracted very big crowds, far bigger than tests against say, India, Pakistan or even South Africa. It's the old rivalry of the young colony against the mother country O0

The recently completed 20/20 domestic series between the states, called the KFC Big Bash (guess who it was sponsored by %)) attracted very large crowds, and saw some exciting cricket. One aspect of that series that pleased me, as a NSW supporter, was the youth of the NSW side, particularly the bowling attack. Patrick Cummins, a tall fast (in excess of 140kph) bowler aged 17, Sean Abbott, also quite quick aged 18, Luke Doran, left arm spinner, aged 19, and Steven Smith, all rounder aged 21. It's great to see these young men being given a chance to represent their state at such an early age, but they will need to be handled carefully. NSW is not the only state to field younger players, so I believe that the future of the game here, in all its forms, is looking rosy.

The results of the Big Bash can be seen here http://cricket.com.au/kfctwenty20bigbash1011

Peter.

wideawake

« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2011, 05:01:47 am »

Much good sense in what Peter says.    I spent yesterday at the WACA hoping that England might at least win the last match.   They didn't even put up  a good show  :((  Apart from a very clever bit of thinking on the run by Steve Finn when he took a catch on the boundary, realised he'd fall over the rope holding the bvall (no catch) and threw it up, recovered himself, got back inside the rope and recaught the ball to complete the catch I didn't think I'd had my money's worth!

Anyway, back to the UK winter in less than a week  >:-o

Guy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2011, 05:06:22 am »

Just a little off the cricket thread wideawake..........

All OZ members hope you have enjoyed your stay down here with us........Derek :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

barryfoote

« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2011, 07:49:29 am »

Richard, what a lot of people don't understand is that the Ashes series between England and Australia should not be treated as a matter of life and death......it's much more important than that  {-) {-)

The shorter versions of the game are certainly very popular here, although the Ashes tests attracted very big crowds, far bigger than tests against say, India, Pakistan or even South Africa. It's the old rivalry of the young colony against the mother country O0

The recently completed 20/20 domestic series between the states, called the KFC Big Bash (guess who it was sponsored by %)) attracted very large crowds, and saw some exciting cricket. One aspect of that series that pleased me, as a NSW supporter, was the youth of the NSW side, particularly the bowling attack. Patrick Cummins, a tall fast (in excess of 140kph) bowler aged 17, Sean Abbott, also quite quick aged 18, Luke Doran, left arm spinner, aged 19, and Steven Smith, all rounder aged 21. It's great to see these young men being given a chance to represent their state at such an early age, but they will need to be handled carefully. NSW is not the only state to field younger players, so I believe that the future of the game here, in all its forms, is looking rosy.

The results of the Big Bash can be seen here http://cricket.com.au/kfctwenty20bigbash1011

Peter.

Peter,

Wise words indeed my friend....

That said........140kph means absolutely nothing to most of us from the Mother Country. We still use mph and as such need a converter to find out what you really mean!! {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2011, 10:14:45 am »

140kph means absolutely nothing to most of us from the Mother Country. We still use mph and as such need a converter to find out what you really mean!!       

B1**dy fast.  Especially for a hand - launched missile.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

wideawake

« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2011, 11:51:50 am »

Just a little off the cricket thread wideawake..........

All OZ members hope you have enjoyed your stay down here with us........Derek :-))

Many thanks Derek. Yes we're having a brilliant time and will be sorry to leave next w/e.  Lazy day around Freo today.  Lunch with friends from when they hired a narrow boat in the UK tomorrow followed by ttwilight sail from Freo yacht club .

Guy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm »

Come on Barry, it's time you lot joined the 21st century {-), we've been using metric since 1966 O0

1 kilometre per hour = 0.621371192 mph, therefore, 140 kph equals almost 87 mph :D In other words, fairly quick %%

Living in Spain as you do, I'm sure you know the metric system :-)

Peter.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2011, 12:33:23 am »

Living in Spain as you do, I'm sure you know the metric system :-)

Peter.

Could explain why being booked for speeding, if read it as MPH  %) %) %) %) %) %)

barryfoote

« Reply #199 on: February 08, 2011, 08:27:36 am »

Ouch......Thanks for reminding me.......It still hurts.... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.