Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner Neptun Cargo ship  (Read 5432 times)

john1951

Graupner Neptun Cargo ship
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:57:30 am »

Is this ship kit still available?
I seem to recall it was around £80, but I've just seen an online shop asking £170 (which makes me think it's a rarity and they're cashing in on it!).
     If anyone knows where I can obtain one, I'd be most grateful !

John

Roadrunner

Re: Graupner Neptun Cargo ship
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 11:08:17 am »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:16:19 pm »

They come up on ebay from time to time.
 Also try http://www.amodelworld.co.uk/ - tell them "Martin sent ya!"

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

john1951

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:35:24 pm »

Many thank's for the advice guy's !
    Martin, look's like Amodelworld are the best bet(and price!).

Merry Xmas to all Mayhem members !

john1951

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:51:01 pm »

As an afterthought, does anyone know what the fitting's kit comprises of ?
 Or could I save myself some money and scratch build these items ?

John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:20:25 pm »

Not much, plastic lights, deck fittings, etc.....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

john1951

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 07:25:09 am »

Hi Martin, thanks for the photo's, there isn't a lot of parts there for nearly 40 quid, but I suppose I'll need them to do the job right !

Cheers !              John

More Coffee

Re: Graupner Neptune Cargo ship
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 12:44:05 pm »

The fitting package is separate..

Goes for abot 50-75$ Canadian..

I built up that kit as well ..but just cant justify the money to buy that fitting package

john1951

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 07:39:54 am »

I assume there was a review of this model ; does anyone know which magazine and when it appeared ?

Thanks     John

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:14 am »

This any use?

There are no deck or frame supports..
the deck simply glues into the little gallery that runs around the hull and stops just below the bow.. 1/8 ply wood ..thats the deck ..

Off course you can install your own supports and frames ..considering your going custom ..it may be a good idea

Now the Sydney Star has deck supports and hull frames ..Its also a larger boat ...

You can check out my build here .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026032

More Coffee

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »

john1951

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 03:49:06 pm »

Thanks guy's, lot's of useful info there !
               I have'nt bought it yet, so I'm just planning ahead; what do you use to fix the plywood deck to the plastic hull ?
                  Do you fill and sand the deck, or is it smooth enough to paint as it comes ?

John           

More Coffee

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »

The Kit came with a tube of UHU glue..purposed for mateing the wood to the plastic ..lightly sand the areas just to scuff it up ..I wasnt that impressed with it..

If the dosent come with it ..I have had excellent results with Contact Cement ..clean and scuff the plastic..apply glue to the wood ..sit it aside ..apply glue to the plastics ..wait a moment and then assemble the parts ..trouble is ..you pretty much just get one shot..so test fit and mock up as to get the best fit before glueing

Ply wood is very good ..I shot it with some spray varnish before it was glued in or anything..just to seal up the grain..

john1951

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 12:40:09 pm »

Would 10 minute Epoxy work well on plastic ?
         Using that you have time to shuffle it around to get it right.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 02:23:29 pm »

Would 10 minute Epoxy work well on plastic ?
         Using that you have time to shuffle it around to get it right.

John

Nope ..it wont work ..The epoxy will just peel away from the plastic ..even with scuffing up ..the result will eventually be the same
The UHU glue ..Is where I lost confidence in it..It intially held ..but if enough wasnt aplied to flash on the plastic ,some areas didnt take..Bond
The contact cement well ...one shot done  :-))..clamp and leave overnight ..Im certain I'll pull the hull apart before the bond breaks

The wood has to be fused to the plastic ..The UHU and Contact Cement both slighty soften the plastic enough to bond with the wood in a chemical weld of sorts

john1951

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 06:23:40 pm »

Thanks for your advice MC !
                         I've seen someone used Krylon spray paint on this model ; as this appears to be a US brand, can anyone suggest any other spray paints ?
                           What about Color Cote or Halfords car spray ?

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.