Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 98" OffShore Mono Build  (Read 5334 times)

cammo

98" OffShore Mono Build
« on: December 20, 2010, 10:02:23 pm »

Hi All!

Well i have been building this boat for a few weeks doing a bit every weekend. the frame is complete and i am in the process of sheeting the hull.
there is still alot of sanding and getting my lines looking smooth to be done before im ready for fiberglass.
i have on the way, a rudder from MTC in germany and a Trimmax Large on its way from MHZusa!

i will be running one zenoah for now and changing it to a 2cyl later on. when the pocket allows it!
ill update this thread through out the build :)

enough chit chat, time for some pictures!

ps. no you didnt read the title wrong, i said 98" (2.4M) :D

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 98" OffShore Mono Build
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:06:44 am »

Nice project you have there,those look like Doug Reeds 72" offshore plans you used?.One thing i will say is a single zen isn't going to push that thing very well at all,even inline twins or side by sides will not give good performance in such a large hull.To push it above 40 mph i think your going to need 4 motors or side by side inline twins.Also glassing over the wood is just adding unnecessary weight,far better to just coat with epoxy outside and use a little glass tape on the inside in certain areas.I know a few who have built this hull if it is Dougs design at 72" and they were disapointed with it especially with a single motor,the vee is too steep and the hull very narrow for its size and runs very wet by all accounts.Sory to sound negative but just been honest.You might improve it some by adding running strakes to the bottom to create some lift and allow her to get on plane better.
Mart
ps good luck with MHZ USA they are very unreliable unlike the German outlet  :((

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:34:20 pm »

Cant believe i got Dougs name wrong the amount of years ive known him lol,his last names Reeve lol.

Patternmaker

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 03:27:29 pm »

Very nice build, keep up the good work.

Mick

cammo

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:44:28 pm »

yep, it is the 72"
accidently printed out 30% bigger

well that is a shame everyone is not too happy with the boat.
but it is too far in now to scrap it. ill keep going with it.

i might go for a rcmk  twin for now, and i can put another one in later
http://www.hobbydepot.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=110&products_id=538

Roadrunner

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:26:41 pm »

as long as your happy who cares about anyone else  :-)) my motto is 'build for yourself no one else'

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:43:14 am »

yep, it is the 72"
accidently printed out 30% bigger

well that is a shame everyone is not too happy with the boat.
but it is too far in now to scrap it. ill keep going with it.

i might go for a rcmk  twin for now, and i can put another one in later
http://www.hobbydepot.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=110&products_id=538

The twin would be a better way to go than a single for sure just be sure its the latest version as they were having issues with them,i wish you luck with it and hope she runs as well as she looks  :-)).
Mart

phillnjack

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:21 pm »

Hi Cammo, nice to see your on here as well.
If you fit the spray rails underneath and the boat aint too heavy it will be ok.

And im sure it will out do a few others in the rough being so big.

cant wait to see it finnished.

phill

phillnjack

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:14 pm »

And martno1  whats this about having the v to steep !!!!!! thats impossible in a offshore boat.

All the boats of the 60,s and 70's had deeper v than todays boats, yes todays might be quicker, but they dont go
in the rough stuff like they used to.

There have been a few shead designs that would scare many people to day at how steep they were.

And also some started off at around 22deg then went steeper down to a total point.
These boats wereoften raced in much rougher seas than we see racing today.

I think with spray rails fitted (Definitely needed on offshore boats), and a good nitro engine the boat would be
pretty quick given that it could have a good wetted area thats gonna be good in the rough stuff.

There is plenty of big 86 inch plus boats in the states doing pretty good with single engines.

Its designed as a sports/scale powerboat not exactly a racer, but if the weather is being a bit cruel would
probably be the only boat capable of going out in the harbour.

phill

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 01:54:27 pm »

What i said about the deadrise been too steep is from those who have tried to get this design running fast,it handles well enough and runs ok but def not a race boat.Adding strakes and spray rails are a must for this one because its hard to get up on plane.A friend built it sclaed down to 50 and it ran wet,another built it at 60 and it also ran wet.Im not saying it wont run well im just saying it runs wet so add strakes and spray rails and it might help.Ill find some video of these two mentioned when i can find them.
Mart

phillnjack

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 12:00:05 am »

I totaly 100% agree it needs spray rails. O0

Now most of the realy fast boat have a flat area at the back of the boat known as a riding pad too,
outboard and inboard /outdrive racing boats have these and they are only about 2 foot long  by 1 foot wide.
There is a vid on the net called speed ronnie, it shows a guy with a 15 foot boat doing 100mph with only the
engine and the boats pad touching water.  very scary

I would like to see a vid of ity running with spray rails, i think the spray rails (3 each side) would make it run real good,
and would definitely keep it a lot dryer for sure.
I would put straight rails rather than curves too, ( i have my own  reason for this).

But overall i think its a decent build for a home build, but would benefit from a couple of tweaks.
I dont think many have or are building it as a dedicated race boat, its more of a nice big sports type boat.

a bigger superstructure would also be nice to make it into a big sports cruiser,similar to 80's/90's searay and campion type boats.

could even make it into a nice Lancer corniche express  (very similar hull shape)

phill :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.