Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lobster pots?  (Read 6970 times)

Eddy Matthews

Lobster pots?
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:59:52 pm »

A project I'd like to build in the near future calls for lobster pots in 1:12 - 1:8 scale - Has anyone got any ideas for making these? It's something I've never attempted before, so any help would be appreciated...

Regards
Eddy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Lobster pots?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 08:29:22 am »

Eddy

Are we talking the new net type or the older wicker type? The former should be quite easy as the are flat bottommed and have a curved frame at each end (a picture here would help - but not available). So a bit of wire bending should give you the basic shape, add some net and voila.  I considered the wicker type for my Brittany trawler and thought of using thin basket cane however, I never got round to it. You could give it a try or maybe 1mm brass wire. I suspect a solid former would be a good idea if using the wire.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 08:59:17 am »

I was thinking of the newer net type Doug - The problem is that they would be at a fairly large scale (1:12 - 1:8), so they would have to be a pretty good copy of the real thing to look realistic.

I've found some commercially made units, but they are 1:24 scale which is far too small....

I did a search on the net, thinking that there are loads of people who model fishing boats, so it should be easy to find something - I drew a total blank! :-(

Regards
Eddy

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 09:25:17 am »

Eddy

Are we talking the new net type or the older wicker type? The former should be quite easy as the are flat bottommed and have a curved frame at each end (a picture here would help - but not available). So a bit of wire bending should give you the basic shape, add some net and voila. I considered the wicker type for my Brittany trawler and thought of using thin basket cane however, I never got round to it. You could give it a try or maybe 1mm brass wire. I suspect a solid former would be a good idea if using the wire.

HTH

Doug

Here's a picture of some Lobster Pots taken at Lossiemouth harbour.

Hope these can give you some inspiration.

Craig

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 12:15:52 pm »

Lobster creels ( as shown above ) are about 24" long by 12" wide and the 3 hoops are about 18" high. The bottom is of a simple wooden construction with 3-4 planks of fairly heavy hardwood lengthways with 3 cross planks to hold it all together ( think of a simple door with small gaps between the planks to allow water to flow past it when shooting and hauling ). there is a large amount of concrete underneath the wood ( usually moulded onto it when its upside down and about 1-2" thick held on by moulding it onto 6" nails that have been driven thru from above and when the concrete has set the nails are cut short with the ends hammered to remove sharp edges ). The 3 hoops are simple wicker canes which are steamed then bend or nowadays they are plastic tubing ( plumbers tubing about 1" in diameter which bends no probelm to shape ) and the are fixed by drilling holes in the base and fitting them into the base and screwing/nailing them in place. There are 3 longitudinal spare tying the 3 hoops together ( one on top and 1 either side 3/4 the way up ). There are 2 entrances one in ether side but at opposite ends which are a tube of netting which allows the lobster in but means it cannot get out. There is a hatch in one side opposite an entrance that is fixed to the lower longitudinal beam.

I will post photo's to illustrate what i've put above once I have taken them when my health allows.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Dave Leishman

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 06:32:44 pm »

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 11:51:45 pm »

Just a quick thankyou to everyone who replied - I appreciate it guys.

Regards
Eddy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 10:04:44 am »

Eddy

I took some close up pics the other day at Robin Hood bay of battered and repaired pots. I'll try and attach small versions (the system wouldn't let me last night). Your welcome to the full size ones if they are any use.

Doug

No luck with the pics ... upload folder full ???
Don't Assume Check

Dave Leishman

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 11:17:00 am »

Eddy

I took some close up pics the other day at Robin Hood bay of battered and repaired pots. I'll try and attach small versions (the system wouldn't let me last night). Your welcome to the full size ones if they are any use.

Doug

I'm always looking to expand the gallery on my site with photos of general fishing equipment (such as lobster pots!) as well as both model and real fishing boats. If you don't mind them being displayed in my gallery Doug, you could send them to me and I'll add them - that way anyone wanting to make model pots could see them, and they can easily be linked to from here in the forum.

Dave

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 12:32:55 pm »

I managed to get quite a few close up photo's of traditional creels and some of the newer box creels ( which would be 1000% easier to built to scale  ;) ) just got to get them onto the PC and edited now. Dave i'll be taking photo's of my local GM33's next week when I get the chance for the gallery ( just had a brand new one launched 2 weeks ago ).

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Dave Leishman

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 01:09:32 pm »

Thanks Davie. I've just ordered one of Andy Griggs GM33 semi-kits from him on Friday so I'll be looking to fit it out in the next couple of months...probably ;)

Dave Leishman

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 09:26:29 pm »

Eddy

Doug

Here is the link to the page on which the six photos Doug mentions above are now displayed (the six at the bottom of the page). Doug was good enough to send them to me for display on Trawler Models. Thanks Doug :)

Trawler Models Gallery Page

thomas

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 10:20:14 pm »

Scoonie Hobbies in Kirkcaldy do (or did) a kit for 4 pots each35mmx25mmx25mm at ?6.00.   They do a very efficient mail order, phone 01592-651792.   andy@scoonie-hobbies.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.