Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Magazine...  (Read 19757 times)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
Model Boats Magazine...
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »

Hi all, does anyone else out there subscribe to Model Boats Magazine? If so have you had problems with delivery? For the third time this year I'm having to chase up an undelivered copy. Saw the January 2011 edition in WHSmith today, been out since December 17th. As a subscriber you're supposed to receive it a couple of days before it's in the shops. Are standards starting to drop or is it too much to expect to receive a service that you've already paid for? Dave... >:-o >:-o >:-o

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Boats Magazine...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:13:54 pm »

Deliveries of the January issue have been delayed due to the adverse weather conditions, see announcement on the Model Boats Website - http://www.modelboats.co.uk/

I'm told that a subscriber in Essex did get his copy late yesterday afternoon so it would appear that Royal Mail are catching up.

Colin

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:20:53 pm »

I'll let them off then, not looked on the website. Don't know what people would say if I could'nt turn out in our Fire Engine due to adverse weather conditions.  {-) O0 {-)

triumphjon

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 02:22:39 pm »

but we all notice its only adverse in britian ! the forecasters were warning of heavy snow fall for upto a week in advance yet still after a small bit of snow the whole country has screeched to a standstill !

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:41:35 pm »

Interesting report in today's paper that BAA didn't buy sufficient de icing fluid for Heathrow and ran out. There is speculation that the Spanish owners are cutting back on costs because of the need to service the enormous debt they incurred in buying BAA.

I must say that our local postie has been delivering normally throughout, although quite a lot of mail we have expected has been significantly delayed. To be fair it is the very busiest time of year for Royal Mail in normal circumstances so the almost universally bad weather conditions are bound to have an effect.

I expect a lot of us on here can remember it worse. I recall walking on the frozen Thames at Kingston in '63/64. I do think a lot of people have used the weather as an excuse to bunk off work/school though.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:47:18 pm »

I received mine last Monday. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

colin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »

Glad it not just me then was about to phone them will wait another 24hours and kep out of Smiths.

Regards
Colin
Born free Taxed to death.

pugwash

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:08:23 pm »

Mine arrived yesterday in the frozen north - you are supposed to be resting and not on the forum Dicky but glad your're back.
Geoff

sentry

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »

hav,nt got mine yet and am in North Lincolnshire, so hope it come's before mother in law tomorrow for Christmas  so I can make my excuse's and go off and have a good read.
                                            Regards Sentry.

Nordsee

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 02:22:57 pm »

but we all notice its only adverse in britian ! the forecasters were warning of heavy snow fall for upto a week in advance yet still after a small bit of snow the whole country has screeched to a standstill !
Don't you believe it! here in Germany it is total chaos, the Rail system is only operating now and again, Airports closed, towns run out of salt, no roads cleared. Indeed owing to some German Muppet banning Heavy lorries from Motorways, shops were not getting deliveries and no de-icer to Airports or fuel to filling Stations. Hows that for Organisation?  As I write the ICE Line between Hamburg and Berlin  is only open in one direction and there are 5 ICE trains stuck there with 700 passengers on board. Dusseldorf and Hamburg Airports ar closed, etc, etc. It isn't just Britain, and you seem to be getting your act back together rather well, but your Press just love to critisize anything British and only report the bad things, not the good. As the sign says on the Editors desk " Do not let the Truth spoil a good Story".

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 02:46:11 pm »

Still not got mine but haho Its Just one of those things..   :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »

It's finally arrived today! Gives me something to read over the festive period....That's 6705russell's Watson lifeboat on the cover, fame at last... {-)

nhp651

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 03:49:57 pm »

I'm sorry, Colin but don't blame Royal mail this time.

They were blamed for the distribution fiasco with the 50th anniversary copy as well.

I ordered on line two large propellers for my Clyde lifeboat last Sunday 19th Dec, from Prop Shop, and they had to be cast as were none stock. They arrived by ROYAL MAIL this morning.....six days from casting to delivery.

I have had two large boxes delivered by Royal Mail in the last week that were only ordered from suppliers by Dave Metcalf late last week.

It's about time that Model Boats started having a lookcloser to home  at their distributer for subcriptions......if they can get them to WH Smiths and other retail outlets, before they are distributed for subscribers then there is a fault with that department and NOT Royal Mail.

I am no fan of Royal Mail, but in those last two circumstances I do not think that they can be held to blame.

The long Build

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »

Well I'm afraid I think Royal mail have a part to play in this, 2 letters I sent were delivered within 48 hrs , However out of  4 parcels I know have been sent via Royal mail only 3 have arrived . 1 was despatched on the 10th !!  only arrived this morning..  8)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 04:30:06 pm »

Neil,

I think you need to understand that there are several factors at play here.

As far as the January issue of Model Boats is concerned, MyHobbyStore were informed by their Distributors that Royal Mail had informed THEM that there were delivery delays. I am simply passing on this information in good faith, not 'blaming' anyone as such. The fact that subscriber issues have been arriving every day this week including last Monday to my personal knowledge tends to support this. As Larry says, Royal Mail deliveries are very erratic at the moment. My wife got a parcel today that was posted on 6th December and we have not received several Christmas cards or another parcel we expected, or my Model Boats issue subscriber either! On the other hand I have had material from Paul Freshney and ACTion which arrived the next day.

With regard to the Model Boats distributor, it is true that they have been several days late in sending out subscriber issues in recent months with the result that people have been tending to receive them on publication day. This has been the subject of a high level meeting between MHS and the distributors who have been told that this is not acceptable.

Royal Mail were not blamed for the Commemorative issue problems as far as I am aware. That was down to W H Smith not getting the copies into their shops when they said they would which provoked a run on the limited number of copies held by MHS who ran out after a couple of days.

So it's really best not to generalise when criticising. I do my best to pass on what information is given to me, I am not a MHS employee so have no direct involvement in the distribution process.

Whether keeping distribution in house instead of outsourcing it would be a better bet is not for me to decide.

Colin

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 05:03:31 pm »

I too recieved my magazine toady (Superb article on the National warshipweekend by Dave Wooley  :-))  )

along with a letter sent on monday from my work, my wage slip was sent on wednesday arrived on friday.

I think it is safe to say things at royal mail are still messed up
not that their service is something they can be proud of  >>:-( >>:-(

sentry

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 08:49:27 pm »

Well am stil one of them who hav,nt got there's yet getting fed up with it now as it seams to be every month now for the last 4 or 5 so will be thinking of canceling and just get it from WHsmiths, was looking forward to a good read over the holidays as I say not just one month but 4 or 5 now.
                              regards Sentry.

wbeedie

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 11:11:01 pm »

Got my first issue today wasnt really expecting it here yet due to weather but it was sitting there when I got home from sea so will be reading it tomorrow when the madness of five kids settles down aka when the last present is opened

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 08:41:37 am »

Our postie certainly hasn't been delivering 'normally'. In temperatures of minus 6 and lower he's delivering mail in a short-sleeved shirt!!! :o  :o  :o

He says he doesn't feel the cold and is well wrapped up but I suspect he's actually an alien life form casing the joint.

Barry M

LarryW

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 09:57:30 am »

DONT WORRY it not worth buying , lacks model content , nothing for new comers , i will stick with mayem :-)) LARRY W.......

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 10:25:50 pm »

DONT WORRY it not worth buying , lacks model content , nothing for new comers , i will stick with mayem :-)) LARRY W.......

That's just your opinion, Larry. I wonder if we're talking about the same magazine? I for one wouldn't contemplate not getting Model Boats. In my opinion there's heaps of model content, and beginners are well catered for in most issues.

Peter.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 08:18:23 pm »

still waiting for mine, some idiot is using christmas as an excuse I suppose!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

sentry

Am I the only one
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »

Hi Gents
Am I the only one still waiting for there Model Boat Magazine, On sale 17th DEC, but still not got mine or is there others I normally get mine about 5 days before its due out i live in North lincolnshire and other post is getting here so it not the weather now would like some info before I kick up a fuss but then thay don't reopen till the 4th of Jan so i cant ever do that yet.
                                          Regards Sentry.

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
Re: Am I the only one
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 12:08:22 am »

Finally got my copy today so you are not alone. Well maybe you are now :-) :-) :-)

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

The long Build

Re: Am I the only one
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 01:32:57 am »

Nope , Still waiting.. <:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.