Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Magazine...  (Read 19753 times)

RaaArtyGunner

Re: Model Boats Magazine...
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2011, 10:08:10 am »

It really is disappointing these days because everyone says they are sorry sorry sorry, even politicians. <:( <:( <:(

But at the end of the day nothing improves because they are not sorry, so saying sorry is meaningless, as are excuses. O0 O0 O0

Actions speak louder than words, being truly sorry means you will fix the problem. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2011, 10:15:24 am »

Actions speak louder than words, being truly sorry means you will fix the problem.

Yes, mistakes will always get made and people will accept that up to a point. It's how the problem is subsequently owned and remedied that attracts the judgement.

I think a lot of organisations are operating at less than peak efficiency because they have gone too far in cutting costs to maintain or drive up profits. But there are still a lot of very good ones too, many model boat suppliers give excellent and personal service and that is always very much appreciated.

Colin

Dekan

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2011, 12:55:40 pm »

Yes, mistakes will always get made and people will accept that up to a point. It's how the problem is subsequently owned and remedied that attracts the judgement.

I think a lot of organisations are operating at less than peak efficiency because they have gone too far in cutting costs to maintain or drive up profits. But there are still a lot of very good ones too, many model boat suppliers give excellent and personal service and that is always very much appreciated.

Colin

How true. IMO The more people involved in any enterprise the less likely the management is to take any responsibility for mistakes.. :((

phillnjack

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »

Just to let you all know about deliveries etc.

The magazines dont travel all the way by royal mail believe me.
I worked for a company that picked up model boats mag and then it went to another wharehouse and then onto royal mail.

I too was a subscriber and couldnt believe it and how it went around.
I had one issue waiting to be delivered to my home , and yet the royal mail had not even got it yet as it was on my truck going to them.
Yes i was delivering to royal mail.

BUT it was already in the shops !!!! when i asked a few other drivers about this it seems that smiths get preferential treatment and the
lorries that deliver to smiths are on whats called specials.

I didnt believe this, till a few months later when i was delivering the specials to smiths, and yes it was a few days before the royal mail got it.

3 times i returned a mag telling them i had already purchased one in smiths and sent copy of recipt.

Then i cancelled it completely after not getting a particular issue that i realy wanted.

Plus they are far too expensive nowdays and prefer to read stuff on interweb

phill

Yarpie

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »

Colin

I would fully endorse what you say there Colin. I have an online supplier who is situated west of Devon but not as far west as the USA, (if you get what I mean) and he is absolutely 100% reliable and prompt. And there must be more like him.

The word 'management' features here too. I firmly believe that management is more of a descriptive term nowadays than a noun. We really don't appear to have managers that actually 'manage' these days. (Even if they are allowed to 'manage' by their superiors). %)

By the way, I've never subscribed to any model boat magazine ever. I much prefer to browse online or get tips from my highly proficient colleagues in my local model boat club.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 08:42:20 pm »

I much prefer to browse online

For the vast majority of my modelling career there has been no Internet! Joining a club is certainly to be recommended but many modellers do not have a local one and find magazines to be very useful and maybe a good read too. Plus magazines are more versatile, my wife doesn't object to me reading one in bed but would probably draw the line at an iPad or, heaven forbid, my laptop.  %)

Colin

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 10:29:26 pm »

For the vast majority of my modelling career there has been no Internet! Joining a club is certainly to be recommended but many modellers do not have a local one and find magazines to be very useful and maybe a good read too. Plus magazines are more versatile, my wife doesn't object to me reading one in bed but would probably draw the line at an iPad or, heaven forbid, my laptop.  %)

Colin

Perhaps you should share or buy her one  %) %) %)

sentry

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 01:51:49 am »

Well am fed up of waiting and not for the first time if it don't come in the next few days i,ll be canceling for good.
                                           Regards Sentry.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2011, 10:48:19 am »

Well am fed up of waiting and not for the first time if it don't come in the next few days i,ll be canceling for good.

Well, there haven't been any postal deliveries since Friday due toi the New Year holiday!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2011, 09:19:16 pm »

I would have thought that the best course of action would be to take any grievances to Model Boats magazine, or their distribution agents, rather than complain about them here  O0

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2011, 09:24:16 pm »

Very true Peter, if a subscription issue has gone missing they will normally send you a replacement. Mayhem can't do anything about it!

Colin

sentry

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2011, 09:36:48 pm »

Yes Sorry  Gent's I was,nt trying to use this site to bitch just stating how it was as others had asked i,ll be taking it up with Model boat magazine in the morning when they reopen. think am upset coz am missing a good read so much. I NEED MY FIX and maybe feeling low as I have had my mother-in-law here for two weeks.
                                  Regards Sentry.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 09:59:40 pm »

Oh dear Sentry, that does sound bad! My Mother in Law is 180 miles away.  :-))

I hope you get your issue tomorrow, then you can read my superb articles  %) I think most people have received theirs by now. If I get any more information from MyHobbyStore I will post it on here.

Colin

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 12:16:20 am »

I would have thought that the best course of action would be to take any grievances to Model Boats magazine, or their distribution agents, rather than complain about them here  O0

Peter.

Whilst that makes good sense and is to be encouraged, it is often not effective as some have indicated.  <:( <:(

Reading the entire thread, it would seem Model Boats is preferencing distributors to the detriment of subscribers.  :(( :((

Therefore more affirmative action needs to be taken and why not advise/warn fellow mayhemers of the unreliability/failings of suppliers, after all we give a tick to the good ones why not a brickbat to poor performers.

Has been effective, with positive improvement in other instances on this forum.  O0 O0

If Model boats lifted it's game, I and maybe others may reconsider re purchasing it but not on present indications when subscribers are nearly the last to receive their copy.

Martin13

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2011, 01:52:33 am »

I have not received my January 2011 edition of Model Boats yet either, but I am on the other side of the world, and the weather has caused big problems over there.  Having said that, however, my copies of the magazine usually arrive much quicker than this one.

Peter.

I'm in the same boat Pete. Got my December Issue just before the New Year. Probably will get January issue in February :o :o

Mdu

bwmarks

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2011, 02:20:36 am »

I just received my Jan 2011 issue. Delivery has gotten better in the US, but I will not renew when the subscription ends, we shouldn't have to beg to receive issues we have paid for

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2011, 10:27:46 am »

The reason that suppliers are given preference is because the public go into the shop to buy on the expected date.If the magizine is
not on the shelf then they may buy a rivals mag like it and never buy first mag again.Or walk and just not bother.If you are a
suscriber then you get your mag when they deem to.After all they have your money.It would have been nice to have seen posted an
apology from the mag surely as boat jounalists they read the forums? O look a flying pig.I await with baited breath to see if an free
copy is given to members.O look another flying pig. John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2011, 11:21:03 am »

Just got a subscriber copy of Ships Monthly this morning. I thought I hadn't seen one for a while but assumed it was the weather etc. However it seems that, due to the company being recently taken over, it was deemed impractical to publish the next issue so effectively they have skipped one with a 7 week break! We are assured that we will still get the number of mags we signed up for though.

Colin

gwa84

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2011, 01:05:24 pm »

i subbed before Christmas and still haven't received my copy what annoyed me is on the subscription blurb one of the bonuses of subbing is you will receive your mag before there in the shops  >>:-(

ironman

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2011, 01:59:07 pm »

Good luck gwa84.  I subbed on 20 Dec.  We will get them eventually. (I hope)    ironman

BrianCartwright

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »

I have an example of how useful and interesting Model Boat magazine is.
In December test bench I spotted A small but concise mention of Model Motors Direct linear screw drive outfit.
I have just received my second unit.They are brilliant.
I.m using them to raise and lower the gun barrels on my new build Sir Lancelot minesweeper.
This is an exampleof how some of us need model magazines and with discounted subscription if we aee a little late receiving our copy so be it.
I now have a question
How many more manufacturers are out there who we don't know about or know of there existence? :-)) :-))

Brian

The long Build

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »

Just got some lego I ordered 2 Months ago !!

Father in Law got his mag yesterday ... <:( <:(

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2011, 05:51:05 pm »

Hi all, got my subscribtion Jan. issue yesterday.
We have Radio Times by subscription (20 p cheaper) and they sent a nice letter out apologising and mentioning the Post Office backlog of deliveries, i.e. they sent them out on time.
regards Roy

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2011, 06:34:48 pm »

I suppose it's understandable that the Bishop gets all the brickbats and odure sent in his direction.....because he's here. But surely a bit of "common dog" will tell you that you're preaching to the wrong person. OK, he's available on this forum, but mainly as a modeller. Other members do jobs/tasks that have fallen short of expectations over the last few weeks/months/years but don't advertise it. Distribution of a magazine is absolutely nowt to do with a writer. Aim your barbs elsewhere otherwise I can visualise the loss of a rare voice of sanity...and we will all be the poorer for it.
When I was "working" (at sea) my copy of "Model Boats" was ordered through my local Newsagents and I never once missed an issue. Perhaps 20p makes a difference to some, but peace of mind is equally important.
I don't think I'm missing the point here, just that many of you seem to be letting off steam to the wrong person. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Yarpie

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2011, 06:41:34 pm »

Good sensible post Brian Young.

Moderated  <*<
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.