Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonus - for doing a bad job !!!!  (Read 3420 times)

soldier151

Bonus - for doing a bad job !!!!
« on: December 23, 2010, 02:49:46 am »

:police:I see the Chief Executive had declined his 6 figure BONUS, perhaps they should use the money they save to buy a couple of extra snowploughs.  What a crazy world we live in when we pay bonuses to people who under-perform.  With the number of unemployed, why couldn't BAA employ some out of work people to clear snow.  They would welcome the extra money at Christmas.  At least at Modelboatmayhem we are ALL sensible people, or are we?
Power to the people
Soldier151 %% >:-o 8)

nhp651

Re: Bonus - for doing a bad job !!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:16:26 am »

I'd have asked for his resignation, and the government too...........they are all like a snow shower.........useless for anything and a pain and near impossibility to get rid off, lol {-) {-) {-) {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:58:12 am »

I think these conditions highlight the downside of privatising major items of the national infrastructure. The normal day to day operations are run on as low a cost as the companies concerned reckon they can get away with so all the resilience is squeezed out and they have nothing in reserve when things go wrong. Not ordering sufficient de icing fluid for the planes is just one example. Basically they just take a chance that everything will be OK. Then when things do go pear shaped they want to spend as little as possible to remedy the situation as their ultimate responsibility is to their shareholders rather than their customers.

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:33:37 am »

These conditions highlight one simple fact of life, you can't control the weather. Last time similar conditions happened as early was fifty years ago. Don't remember so much whinging before, we just got on with it. Although I couldn't do it now, I remember the local park lake freezing, which it NEVER did, and skating on it well past my birthday in MARCH.

Wonder how many moaning at the aircraft being grounded would feel staring at their loved ones in coffins? Slush and icing conditions caused quite a lot of sorrow in 1958 for the football world.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

kenthompson

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:35:29 am »

going on from soldier 151

I can remember when my dad was out of work years ago, ( on the dole ), he had  report to the council work yard to help with snow Clarence, if he did`nt, his "dole" money was stopped. He was deployed on the shovel, or on the lorry, either way he was made to help out at times of bad weather, not just sit at home and complain. All those people out of work could contribute something back into the community.

I now wait with baited breath for excuses to this remark...
All the best for xmas and the new year.
Ken

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:52:49 am »

Health and Safety should nicely kill that one :-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 04:59:46 pm »

So you are suggesting that my six month pregnant, newly made redundant, daughter should be out clearing runways so rich people can go on holiday?

Merry Christmas

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:08:13 pm »

sounds like another nutcase tory led idea.............didn't know there were any tories left in Wales  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 05:19:10 pm »

The 'Dont want to work' brigade are the targets I would be looking at.
I have guys coming for application forms saying 'I'm being made redundant
If I fill in an application form now it 'looks' like I'm looking for work.'
The system is flawed, FTF if your daughter was a little further on
she could take maternity leave and could not be made redundant
In this climate she dos'nt have a chance

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Roadrunner

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:21:13 pm »

she's still entitled to a state paid maternity leave benefit, and surly she received a decent redundancy payout? if not seek legal advice cos she's entitled to it!...  however i do agree that pregnant women shouldn't be doing that type of job.

i could state the obvious about where its all gone wrong and who's fault it is but passing blame is a mugs game,

And isnt there a site rule about Not posting things like this causes nothing but hastle and arguments.....

No potentially inflammatory political, religious or other topics.  

site rules....
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2186.0

regiment

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 05:47:01 pm »

now at 80 years old my mind could be playing tricks  but i was stationed at RAF waddinton lincs  the number one bomber station  IN THE 60 S THAT AIRFIELD WAS NEVER CLOSED due to snow as thay had a jet engine on a trailer pulled along by a very large lorry day and night up and down but it done the trick no  blocked runway when all you had was a 3 minute warning to get airbourne that was the cold war

bilzin

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 06:36:14 pm »

Same at Finningley during the early 70s, dragging a Sicard up n down the runway, and delivering coal and post to the elderly....my my, those were surely the days

Bill

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 06:49:33 pm »

, and surly she received a decent redundancy payout?

No redundancy, because she worked  as contractor, so after she had taught someone in India to her job...bye, bye

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »

now at 80 years old my mind could be playing tricks  but i was stationed at RAF waddinton lincs  the number one bomber station  IN THE 60 S THAT AIRFIELD WAS NEVER CLOSED due to snow as thay had a jet engine on a trailer pulled along by a very large lorry day and night up and down but it done the trick no  blocked runway when all you had was a 3 minute warning to get airbourne that was the cold war
We were paying for the fuel for that,
 If it was done at Heathrow it would be some Spanish firm out to make a quick buck, plus the neighbours to the airport would ahve something to say about a jet running all night..

regiment

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:46 pm »

BETTER TO HAVE A JET RUNNING ALL NIGHT  THAN THE RED ARMY RUNNING AROUND  ANY HOW WE DID NOT MOAN ABOUT IT JUST GOT ON WITH THE JOB

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 10:28:45 pm »

BETTER TO HAVE A JET RUNNING ALL NIGHT  THAN THE RED ARMY RUNNING AROUND  ANY HOW WE DID NOT MOAN ABOUT IT JUST GOT ON WITH THE JOB
Exactly...
RAF first priority.... service
Heathrow owners.... profit

Lord Bungle

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 11:39:57 pm »

We were paying for the fuel for that,
 If it was done at Heathrow it would be some Spanish firm out to make a quick buck, plus the neighbours to the airport would ahve something to say about a jet running all night..
As someone who lived near Heathrow and still has a mother that does, they are doing night flights "To clear the back log"  the night flight ban has helped the locals get some sleep, anyone who get the sorry honour of meeting me will find out how Loud I am, mainly thanks to 41 years of living under the flight path. 3 planes a minute land at Heathrow starting at 530 am (if not before but thats earliest I have had to meet someone there of a flight) and finish some nights at 1 am. so the no night running works out about 4 hours of quiet.

On the subject of the RAF keeping runways open, it shouldn't be that much of a problem at Heathrow as the airport started as a RAF station,well that was the excuse although it wasn't started until 2 weeks before the end of ww2, and then as war finished it became London airport.

as you point out Heathrow and BAA is owned by a sSpanish company, it like most of the big names in the UK have been sold off to get the shareholders a few extra pence.

class37

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 01:32:37 am »

As I remember it when I was at Brize in the 70s, when it snowed we had Sicards, which was basically a big brush with a cover over it which then sucked the snow up and it was blown out to one side, either left or right. They were towed by trucks, and you echeloned them across the runway, so the snow from the first blew in front of the second and it picked it up with it's own snow and blew that out in front of the next one. I think the maximum you could shift was about six inches, but you didn't wait till it got that deep before you started ploughing.
the other bit of kit we had was the MRD, which was a frame with two jet engines with a cabin between them, which mounted on the front of a fuel tanker. the hot air from the jet exhausts melted the snow and ice and blew it out of the way. mind you if the guy on the jets got a bit enthusiastic, you could end up going backwards.
then of course you had the ordinary plough blades which fitted onto the front of trucks or tankers when needed.
the result was an airfield that was open and useable all the time.

and the best thing, when the tea wagon came round with the hot chocolate with a tot of rum in it - never tasted anything as good.

of course in those days people were ready to get off their a***s rather than sit in a warm office coming up with excuses about why nothing was being done

pugwash

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 01:50:06 am »

But have you noticed anything in the press about any of our RAF airfields being out of commission these last fews day - it has only been the civil airports.
I was at HMS Mercury near Petersfield in the 63 blizzards and like my classmates we had finished our final exams and were waiting to get drafted to our first
ships - the drifts were up to 16feet deep so they got one army bulldozer and 60 of us and we dug for about three weeks until we got posted but we cleared
most od the access roads to the base and the local villages. It can be done.
Geoff

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 05:04:42 pm »

In 63 I was at RNAS Lossiemouth (HMS Fulmar)
We were UK Master Diversion Airfield for the V Bombers
We had some very good kit as did most RAF airfields
The powers flew in a couple of Canadian Snow blowers
They were fantastic but the North wind just blew the
snow back on to 270
Back up they flew in more shovels   %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Yarpie

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 08:42:51 pm »

All of the inter-services snow clearing efforts I've heard on his thread are laudable. Between 1957-82 I also served in the RN. We also did our bit (like Geoff in Petersfield) and luckily for us, the Atlantic didn't freeze over. %)

But we must remember that in those days the nation had a Defence Budget and the average man/woman in the street/service establishment was not short of a bit of ingenuity as well.

Nowadays we have (for whatever reason) precious little Defence Budget, and every other budget has been swallowed up by the avaricious demands of an astronomic Social Budget.

We have been conditioned this way. Why not pay for poor performance, it seems to be a malaise from the top downwards.

This has been a non-political broadcast, just a state of the nation address. {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.