Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very thin planking/veneer is warping  (Read 3184 times)

rmaddock

Very thin planking/veneer is warping
« on: December 24, 2010, 03:02:45 pm »

Hello All and Merry Christmas!  :}

I'm busying myself building a Mantua Mincio.  I've completed the first layer of balsa planking and achieved a shape I'm very happy with.  The next stage is to glue very, very thin mahogany planks over the balsa.  I've made a start but have encountered a problem.

The mahogany is so thin that the moisture from the glue is warping them, causing the edges to lift up and there aren't enough pins in the world to hold them down.

So, what's the secret?  Can I soak them first, or something?

Any hints will be gratefully received.

Cheers!

Robert.

PS, I'm a Luddite and prefer to work with old fashioned glue.

triumphjon

Re: Very thin planking/veneer is warping
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »

how thick is the mahogany that you are using , ive been planking a deck in .6 mm teak without problems , a previous build used both sapeale and cherry without issues , ive been gluing my planks with med cyno !

rmaddock

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 04:03:26 pm »

Can I find the vernier callipers?  No.

However, at a guess, the planks are considerably less than 0.6mm.  Possibly even half of that.  As I hinted, it's more of a veneer than actual planking.

FOUND THEM!   :-))

I tell a lie.  The planks are, near enough, 0.5mm.

snowwolflair

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 04:48:51 pm »

Use superglue

rmaddock

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:09:27 pm »

I think I must be getting old.....and I'm scared of superglue!  {:-{

Not that I haven't used it at times. I must admit that it has its attractions but I still think that proper weatherproof wood glue must do a better job...in the long term.

I'm wondering if I just didn't use enough glue.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:24:49 pm »

Over here we build boat hulls using super glue. Haven't lost one yet.  If you look at ggeorge's build thread on the Canadian Corvette, he has built his whole hull using super glue  (cyano):http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27672.msg274734;topicseen#msg274734
If you use a water based glue, such as a carpenter's glue, on a very thin veneer it'll warp due to the moisture up take into the wood.
  If you don't like the cyano route, try using contact cement. Works excellent in your application. I've even used the water based variety for fastening styrene parts to wood and metal. The water based variety doesn't warp the plastic. In your case I'd use the conventional contact cement.

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 08:00:20 pm »

A lot of us suffer a reaction to superglue so can't use it. A good alternative wouold be Deluxe Materials Super Phatic which had a very quick grab and is water soluble.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 08:19:15 pm »

hi there

The way I overcame this problem (of the veneers curling at the edges) was to apply to glue to the back of the veneer first of all, position it onto the hull in the correct position and with a stainless steel piece of tube (which I got from an old piece of shower curtain rail) I roll over the top of the veneer as though I was rolling pastry out.  This forces the glue through the veneer, which I then wipe off with a wetted finger, and keep rolling until the piece lies flat i.e. with no curls.   It generally takes 4-5 goes.   I use the yellow PVA GLUE which is supposed to be the best of the PVA glues for water resistance.   Have a look at a couple of photographs - one is of the 63 foot whaleback build in the masterclass section - and the other one is of the RTTL 2751 which is in the warship gallery - .   They have all been externally veneered using mahogany varying widths from 4mm - 6mm wide x .06 thick veneers.

Hope this is of some help.  

Aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

triumphjon

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 09:21:21 pm »

in all of my builds where ive used veneers i always glue them with medium cyno , to date ive had no problems with curling of planks , i shall be starting to plank the deck of my current huntsman 31 build this weekend in teak veneer planks ,

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 09:44:48 pm »

:-))
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.