Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Largest Schooner  (Read 6294 times)

farrow

Largest Schooner
« on: December 27, 2010, 02:48:57 pm »

For the benifit of Steamboatwilley, wanted to know what a schooner is, well Bill, this is the biggest built and as you guessed it was American. Thomas W Lawhill.

Myansome

Re: Largest Schooner
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:17:05 pm »

<:( Ah, the Thomas Lawson, one of many to sink off the Isles of Scilly.In 1907, anchor chains parted, the master and the engineer were the only survivors, I believe. Built by the Fore River Ship and Engineering Company at Quincy, Massachusetts at a cost of 240,000 dollars. Launched in July, 1902. Some ship!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »

Were not the masts named after the days of the week?

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »

Don't know if the Lawsons masts were but many ships with 6 or more masts (Of which there wern't very many)were named for the days of the week
A BIT OF USELESS INFOMATION FOR YOU; SAID TO BE A TRUE STORY ..BRUNEL'S GREAT EASTERN  On her Maiden Voyage a female passenger was walking the deck when she stopped to ask a question from an old AB who was sitting on a set of bits splicing a rope ..I say fellow,she said, I have often sailed on my Husbands ships and know the ways of ships but I cannot fathom out how you name the masts of a ship with 6 masts ... The old AB looked up and tugging his forelock as a mark of respect answered ...Mum, we name the masts after the days of the week , The fore mast is named Monday, the next is Tuesday and so on ... Oh very good ,thank you, she said and turning away to resume her walk she suddenly stopped and turned back to the AB and said "BUT why is the foreward mast named Monday for isn't Sunday the first day of the week "
 The Old AB again respectfully tugged his forelock and said "Aye me lady, Ashore it is ... But there is no such thing as a Sunday at sea, for every day here is a working day".
From "Tails of Brunel's Great Iron Ship"
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

farrow

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:06:45 am »

when i was doing my seamanship classes, the masts went, foremast, mainmast, mizzen, driver, and jigger the sixth I cannnot remember. But being yanks yeah you are probaly right, named after the days of the week, as they differed from standard European words such as telegraph orders for engines etc.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:46:58 pm »

Sixth Pusher.

Lawsons masts were as follows:-

Fore
Main
Mizzen
No4
No5
No6
Spanker

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

farrow

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:14:55 pm »

Cheers for that, but for all that I cannot say that the this schooner interests me a great deal, although I believe she had a great many admirers

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 01:53:20 pm »

I don't think the men sailing on her were admirers, Most accounts say she was too big and was a pig to handle, Some accounts say she cost the owners a fortune in blown out canvas ... Personally I think shes a very ugly vessel and in my experience more than 3 masts on a schooner rig is a waste of time.
 Jimmy  :((
Kings Lynn

Myansome

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:33:48 pm »

ok2 Agree on that one, Jimmy ....................... not a real lot of style ............... some ship in volume and size but that's about it really.

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 01:03:05 pm »

I agree, the hull looks like a steamer, masts are too short and not even as pleasant looking as a grain square rigger
I think a schooner looks best with two or three masts, even better if a topsail schooner.
Sailing is always a challenge and every voyage different

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 02:31:15 pm »

I am in the middle of reading 'Schooner Sunset' about the last of the British coastal schooners. Good read and excellent value at 25 quid. Written a while ago but only recently published. Covers a period of about 1934 on.

The book said that more masts allowed a shorter mast, and less chance of loosing the masts; as well as reducing heeling. It also allowed for a lot of canvas to be carried.
But I agree more than three masts it starts to look odd.

There is also an interesting discussion into the understanding of what a 'topsail schooner' is, on each side of the Atlantic. There is a difference of terminology. But like all parts of the English language, sailing lingo is still evolving.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:47:51 am »

Here is the "mighty" WYOMING, a big American wooden schooner, but far more attractive than the ugly THOMAS W. LAWSON.     I have also just completed the tiny LOCHRANZA CASTLE, plans from Schooner Sunset.    LOCHRANZA CASTLE model is also posted in this section.
It is a pity there isn't much interest in small models of big sailing ships these days.   I am the only person I know that builds them.
Bob
Regards
Positive

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 09:44:48 am »

Hi Positive

Have you ever done a build log?

I know it is a fair amount of work to write up and upload pictures, but it may well inspire others to take up this branch of boat modeling.
I assume that many people think it is much harder than it actually is.

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 03:19:35 pm »

There simply isn't enough interest to write up a build log - I have tried in the past and they have attracted very little interest.     More details on my website (through my "Positive profile")  for anyone interested.
Essentially Model Boat Mayhem is more for wet models and R/C.    That is a field I would like to move into again, but no suitable water within miles and miles.

I  changed literally overnight from large scale to miniatures in the early 70s and always found them much easier from the start.     I seem to have chosen most unpopular type of ships as well - steam and motor ships, iron & steel square-riggers and the odd small fry such as LOCHRANZA CASTLE thrown in.

Bob
Regards
Positive

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 03:40:08 pm »

Bob

I have found most of your subjects interesting  :-))

kiwi

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 05:54:07 pm »

Hi Bob,
Always read your postings, very well executed models. My eyesight just isn't what it used to be for small work, even with magnification or I'd have a go at these wee ships.
Your web-site most interesting, keep up the good work, and build logs always welcome
cheers
kiwi

meatbomber

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 10:59:38 am »

Bob you need to make them twice as large and RC them :)  maybe 3 times as large would answer ;)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 06:54:27 pm »

Even twice the size would not really be very big.    I did make a 3 master once that I took to sail at Fleetwood.    Generally OK, but rudder not big enough.   It has been mouldering in the garage for over 20 years now!
Bob
Regards
Positive

Myansome

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:49 pm »

:-) Any chance of a photo of it?
Cheers,
John

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 10:08:28 pm »

I have some pictures of it sailing somewhere, but not sure where at the moment.   If I find them, I will put them on.
Bob
Regards
Positive

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 09:33:45 pm »

I for one will look forward to seeing it
Freebooter
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.