Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone still have a pipedream ?  (Read 8577 times)

phillnjack

Anyone still have a pipedream ?
« on: December 28, 2010, 03:24:02 pm »

Im still getting pleasure from one of my boats that i got back in 1983 from windsor model shop.
Back then it cost a fortune £50....
might sound cheap now but in 1983 £50 was a lot to pay for a model boat hull.

Ive had the boat fitted a with a few different engines over the years, it started out with a 38cc chainsaw and
AMPS outrive.
Not exactly a success, so then went and put a irvine 10cc and ran it submerged drive for years.
Then after that i fitted a SC91 engine, and not realy given it much of a go since then due to
SC 91engine being a real pig to start.

would like to know if anyone still has a pipedream, or still moulds them  ?
I found them to be realy good at sea, very stable, good on the straights etc.

although comming up to around 30 year old design the boat still looks pretty modern, as there is still full size boats like it around .

also what other boats have had the hull only used for new boats etc, as im sure ive seen a few knocking about ???

phill

Gordonsen

Re: Anyone still have a pipedream ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:51:52 pm »

Hi,

I too have a pipedream, super on rough water etc. They are still being moulded. I will dig out the phone number for you when I get home - Gordon (mine runs with a Zenoah and there are no problems).

gwa84

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:57:49 pm »

hi bulldog1966 has a few i think he has the mark 1  and mark2 send him a pm he has also had verios engines and set ups and you to right about the SC91 it a real pain in the aris to get going

bulldog1966

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:41:19 pm »

hi i have two pipedreams mk1 and pipedream mk 2. pm if you want any questions

bulldog1966

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:05:56 pm »

just be carefull with the ones that i have seen in yorkshire in the last five years are very very thin people bought them to me to build for them. two people didnt like it when i told them if all has to be re nforced you could poke hole in it.THEY are that thin

scoop

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:55 pm »

Im still getting pleasure from one of my boats that i got back in 1983 from windsor model shop.
Back then it cost a fortune £50....
might sound cheap now but in 1983 £50 was a lot to pay for a model boat hull.

Ive had the boat fitted a with a few different engines over the years, it started out with a 38cc chainsaw and
AMPS outrive.
Not exactly a success, so then went and put a irvine 10cc and ran it submerged drive for years.
Then after that i fitted a SC91 engine, and not realy given it much of a go since then due to
SC 91engine being a real pig to start.

would like to know if anyone still has a pipedream, or still moulds them  ?
I found them to be realy good at sea, very stable, good on the straights etc.

although comming up to around 30 year old design the boat still looks pretty modern, as there is still full size boats like it around .

also what other boats have had the hull only used for new boats etc, as im sure ive seen a few knocking about ???

phill
Hi, Yes if you check out Model Boats mag October 2010 page 66 top photo you will find a Pipedream that runs in D class (Zen 26 powered) of the BMPRS
Cheers
Scoop

bulldog1966

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:39:50 am »

hi phil brother still got his pipedream to you no that goes well .it was racing the 90s at bristol docks and it only irvine 61 in it still got videos of it to mate

phillnjack

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:26:45 pm »

Are the videos on the net anywhere of your boats or the pipdreams ?

phill :-)

bulldog1966

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:09 am »

i got a coppy of brothers pipedream at bristol docks on video it to long to put on youtube .video tape

phillnjack

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:13 pm »

somewhere ive got old video tape of my pipedream running on the thames

will have to convert and put on pc then onto youtube etc

phill

bulldog1966

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 10:03:55 am »

ok mate np

bulldog1966

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 02:41:23 am »

bulldog1966

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 02:43:57 am »

bulldog1966

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 02:44:55 am »

bulldog1966

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 02:45:50 am »

bulldog1966

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 02:46:39 am »

mk2 pipe dream

bulldog1966

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 02:49:53 am »

on above this pics mk2 pipe dream this is mk 1

phillnjack

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 01:16:15 am »

Here is my pipedream running on the thames a good few years back.

Its still in the same tip top condition  , but now fitted with a bigger more powerfull engine and tuned pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7K5WZR00DY

phill

bulldog1966

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 08:21:31 am »

sweet what engines in it

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 10:37:00 am »

Now I'm retired we (Commodore and I) are seriously thinking about a long term - 3 months or so - narrow boat charter to circumnavigate the UK's canal system at leisure.

We had numerous enjoyable narrow boat holidays when we were (much) younger and as far as we're concerned there's no better way to see this beautiful country except  by horseback - and my poor old back won't permit the latter.
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

phillnjack

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:39 pm »

The engine in the pipedream running in above video was Irvine 10cc ringed version, with home made exhaust pipe.
Since then it got a later version irvine 10cc abc engine that ran a bit quicker.
So i got intouch with a nice bloke called Rod at RG Racing telford who helped me out with info of i what i needed.
Rod sent down a nice new tune pipe, a ballraced driveshaft, a new engine to shaft coupling and the boat was stripped
out and new parts put in.
This made a massive difference, and the boat was quicker than ever and even more responsive to the throttle.
Still had the real nice slow tickover speed, and much more power top end and cornering speed.

Later i got a sc91 for another boat, but then decided to put it in this boat, and got another tune pipe from Rod at RG Racing.
The only reason i didnt keep the SC91 in my other boat was that i got a Brand new CMB 90 EVO 2 TESTAROSSA from Greg sadler at M.G Racing
This was about 10years back and the pipedream is still waiting to be run with the SC91 set up.
so very soon we shall see how it goes with the SC91. (the irvine is still oiled up ready to go back in if its not as good.)

I found the pipedream to be a real good handling boat for me, at 51 inch its not too big and bulky, and 16 inch beam gives it a good
amount of wetted area for balance at speed. many have said i have it too heavy,but i like it the way it is.
The boat was made pretty thick in the fibreglass department, with very sharp spray rails and chines.

phill :-))

bulldog1966

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 11:13:12 pm »

hi phill seen your video looks good mate i got sc91 to mate its a pig to start [pardon the word pig no harm ment by it or intended to ]  it burns out starter motors mate its ... to start mate hope yours is ok

phillnjack

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 07:02:40 pm »

yep i have noticed they are real hard starters, i have to use 24volt to start the sc91,yet my cmb 90 is easy on 12 volt like the irvines.

I dont know if the SC91 will be much quicker than the irvine, but reliability is what im after.
If its not as reliable as the irvine , then i will get sc out and irvine back in,simple.

ive even thought about putting twin Irvines in ther pipedream as i still have 2 x 61's like brand new.

I will be running the boat pretty soon, and will get some good new video footage, will also run the spirit as well.

ive a bit of the spirit at sea and on the thames, will have to put that on pc as well.

phill

bulldog1966

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 07:06:47 pm »

should be ok mate on stinger system

bulldog1966

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 07:09:15 pm »

brothers went like stink at bristol docks and got 3rd place racing 90s with one clapped out irvine serfice drive ask bernard holder if you now him
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.