Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic kit  (Read 3135 times)

Willit

Titanic kit
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:28:12 pm »

wow, its been ages since I posted on here!

Has anyone tried putting RC in the Minicraft Titanic kit?  I want to build a kit with RC (but don't suggest the Mantua one, can't quite afford that one!  ;))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Titanic kit
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »

Hi Willit.

I had this kit for Christmas and was only studying the parts last night.

It should be possible to fit a drive system but with consideration to 'small' bits. ie  motor and speed control etc.  I would go for just one centre motor and have the outside props free spinning as this would give you a better rudder control.  The decks look to be removable for easy access if you want to go this route. Please also bear in mind that she is Top heavy and you might have problems with the ballast.

I myself am in the Titanic research group and plan to make a realistic version for display only. Our club can be found here...

http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php

If you would like a build detailed to perfection then this is the place to be.....

http://rivetcounter.txc.net.au/Tutorial/tutorial_index.html

Be warned that once you start reading about her, it never ends. There is so much detail that your head will spin. I now have books and photographs all over the place.   %)

Best of luck and let us know how you are doing.    (I still need more tips myself!!)

Happy new year

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:34:59 pm »

.....Now why on earth would anyone want to build a model, that has to sink on its first trip out???? {-) %% {-) %% {-) %%

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:45:15 pm »

Hi there.
It can be done . I have done the QE2 at 1:450 which is about the same size. I would power all 3 props and went you turn either stop the inboard prop or slam it in to reverse . This is the only way you will get resionable l turning circle with that small rudder.

John

Willit

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:33:39 pm »

thanks chaps.  I've been a Titanic enthusiast for years now and the idea of a model is appealing to me!

sir kay

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33:48 pm »

I put three channel radio in the Minicraft Titanic several years ago and published it in Model Boats Magazine. ( Sept 1999, I think ?!).
Steers nicely on the rudder at anything above "slow ahead", and on the the separately controlable wing props at anything slower.
Keep weight as low as possible and cut out all plastic from the decks that doesn't show to keep her stable though.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:51:11 am »

I converted the Revell Titanic kit to r/c, mine had two 280 motors driving the outer shafts, two ACTion Pico esc's with a fixed rudder, so I steered it on the throttles. If I remember correctly I used a six volt AA sized battery pack and a micro rx.

It was a bit of a handful in a breeze, but on calm water she worked fine. I sold it to a guy in Ireland, and as far as I know, my Titanic still sails over there.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.