Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: mobile phones  (Read 5127 times)

regiment

mobile phones
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:26:20 pm »

hello all  is it possible to change a vodaphone pay as you go to orange pay as you go   thanks

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: mobile phones
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:39:52 pm »

Sorry, no, Gordon.

Happy new year to you and Maggie. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

david j

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:49:09 pm »

only if you have it unlocked from vodaphone, can you use any server

davidj

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:59:51 pm »

Any mobile phone shop will unlock it for you for about a tenner, or if it's a Nokia you can probably get an unlock code from the various internet sites. Some of the latest phones are difficult to unlock, but the good old basic Nokias are a piece of cake to do.

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:15:01 pm »

just had my daughters new Nokia 5800 misicxpress unlocked from Tmobile to take an ASDA card.....a tenner...no probs.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:27:11 pm »

You can unlock certain phone from service providers, some you can some you can't.... eg. no one can unlock my Nokia 2700  >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ixion

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:39:15 pm »

is it possible to change a vodaphone pay as you go to orange pay as you go 

YES, although as others have said you will need to get the phone unlocked to use a different network. You can pay Vodafone to do it or search the net there are websites that will give you a unlock code for a small fee. You can also find some shops in local markets etc that will unlock it for you.

regiment

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:56:48 pm »

thanks for all of your answers will get it done after holidays

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 05:18:40 pm »

5lb lump hammer unlocks 'em NO problem.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 08:38:48 pm »

its also possible to take your phone number with you if you change service providers , but it can take around a week , ive had my mobile number for the last twelve years , i started with orange , its been to o2 then to vodaphone where ive been for the last four years ! some moblies will work with otheer companys sim cards in them , depends on where you bought the phone as to weather its locked to a particular network .

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:17:41 pm »

Duplicate topic by the same poster was removed,

Peter Fitness

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 10:50:25 pm »

In the past I have had a Vodaphone phone that wouldn't accept my Orange SIM card, my current Orange phone accepts my wife's O2 SIM, all my past O2 phones accepted any SIM.

However, as has been said, an unlocked phone will accept any SIM- however take the SIM that you want to put in the phone along with you and try it in the shop, it isn't guarenteed.

Some phones, if you go to 'phone settings' then 'network settings' some have an option to select what network you want the SIM to work on.

After being with all uk mobile providers excepting 3mobile I have to say Orange is by far and away the best network to be with- fantastic signal, never had a 'network busy' pop-up while trying to call or text and they reward their loyal contract customers with 'haggling' deals on upgrades. Not to mention they now own/share T-Mobile's signal network- though T-Mobile's signal was so pitiful to start with I havn't noticed a huge difference, and of course you get 'Orange Wednesdays' 2 for 1 cinema tickets, I certainly won't be going with anyone else.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Lord Bungle

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:54:58 pm »

what model of Mobile phone is it? I can normaly track down the codes needed or instructions on how to sort it. This gives you an extra £10 for boat bits  :-))

regiment

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 12:04:52 pm »

morning my lord the  phone is a nokia  no 1616  or 1800 thanks gordon

Lord Bungle

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 12:48:05 pm »

sorry about the delay in replying
you need to get your IMIE of your phone, type *#06# and press call, this should show it. then go to
http://www.unlockme.co.uk/master.php and type the number in that should give you the unlock code.

you could also try 12345 as Nokia has this as a standard unlock code.
This is the standard Nokia unlocking procedure

1 – Switch ON your phone without SIM Card,
2 – Compose #PW+CODE+1#

(if locked from Fido/Roger Canada, please compose#PW+CODE+7#)

The letter P appear after press 3 times quickly the button star ( * )
The letter W appear after press 4 times quickly the button star ( * )
The letter + appear after press 2 times quickly the button star ( * )

3 – The phone show “SIM Restriction Off” and was unlocked !

As with all unlocking codes off the internet I take no responcabilty if it doesn't work.
you use these tips, hints and sites
AT YOUR OWN RISK

regiment

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 01:41:09 pm »

thank you my lord me thinks ill leave well along  regiment

PMK

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 01:52:50 pm »

AT YOUR OWN RISK

Nice work, ref unlocking the Nokia.
I'm a bit of a risk taker. Any suggestions how to unlock an iPhone 4?

Lord Bungle

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43:19 pm »

This guide is for iPhone 4 running iOS 3.1.3 to 4.0. If you are running iOS version later than 4.0. This guide is not recommended for you.

The credit for this unlock solution for iPhone 4 goes to iPhone Dev Team. Without engaging you in more details, I'd guide you through 10 steps to unlock your iPhone 4. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

Let's start:

1. Connect your iPhone 4 to a wi-fi network. No 3G please.
2. Open the Safari browser on your iPhone 4.
3. Go to Jailbreakme.com and jailbreak your iPhone 4. Make sure you have the iPhone firmware 3.1.3 to 4.0. No less than 3.1.3, no 4.x.
4.  Now go to Settings>General>Network and turn off 3G. That's why I asked to used a wi-fi connections in the first step.
5. Now that you have jailbroken, you have ‘cydia’ installed on your iPhone 4. Press the home button and find ‘cydia’ in your apps in the springboard.
6. In cydia go to search and type ‘ultrasn0w‘. If you are presented with version 1.0.1 or higher skip to step 10 below. If the ultrasn0w version is less than 1.0.1, follow all the steps below.
7. You can't unlock your iPhone 4 with an ultrasn0w version less than 1.0.1. You'd then need to bring over 1.0.1. For that purpose, press the ‘Manage‘ button at the bottom, select Sources>Edit>add. Then type ‘repo666.ultrasn0w.com’ in the text field without quotes.
8. Reboot your iPhone 4.
9. Go to cydia again, search for ultrasn0w. It must be on version 1.0.1 or higher now.
10. Now press the install button to install ultrasn0w.
11. Your iPhone 4 is now unlocked! Cheers!

if you remove cydia from your phone it will go back to being locked.
Once again I have not tested this out myself so can not say if it works or messes up your phone or not so.
TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 01:18:23 am »

Err, be careful jailbreaking an iPhone - it will void the warranty!
Alister

PMK

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 10:34:42 am »

Appreciate you taking the time and trouble, but it seems I'm on to a no-brainer because my particular iPhone is running version 4.2.1 firmware.
My knowledge of the workings of the iPhone is limited, but, from the various snippets which I've heard, I'm led to believe that jailbreaking the phone is maybe not a good thing to do unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing.
All I know is that Vodafone have already ripped me off, so I was hoping it might be possible just to unlock the phone for use with my O2 sim. Vodafone says that O2 sim cards will not fit into the iPhone, but I read somewhere on the WWW that all you need to do is to trim the O2 sim with scissors to the same size as that of the Vodafone sim... if any of that makes sense.
The downside to unlocking (if it is indeed possible with Ver 4.2.1) is that I shall lose some of the iPhone's functionality which is provided with Vodafone, but I'd sooner that, rather than being ripped off by all their sneaky/hidden charges... which incidentally they don't warn you of when you sign their contract.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 12:22:21 am »

Appreciate you taking the time and trouble, but it seems I'm on to a no-brainer because my particular iPhone is running version 4.2.1 firmware.
My knowledge of the workings of the iPhone is limited, but, from the various snippets which I've heard, I'm led to believe that jailbreaking the phone is maybe not a good thing to do unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing.
All I know is that Vodafone have already ripped me off, so I was hoping it might be possible just to unlock the phone for use with my O2 sim. Vodafone says that O2 sim cards will not fit into the iPhone, but I read somewhere on the WWW that all you need to do is to trim the O2 sim with scissors to the same size as that of the Vodafone sim... if any of that makes sense.
The downside to unlocking (if it is indeed possible with Ver 4.2.1) is that I shall lose some of the iPhone's functionality which is provided with Vodafone, but I'd sooner that, rather than being ripped off by all their sneaky/hidden charges... which incidentally they don't warn you of when you sign their contract.
every sim card I have seen in recent years has been the same size, the only ones that were different was back in the early days of sim cards any they were credit card size. unless vodaphone have made a special card for the iphone only ,I can't see that.
Computers are my thing and yest jailbreaking your iphone will void any warranty. I am not a fan of the iphone myself, so my advice would be stick it on ebay and sell it then buy an HTC phone running android  {-)

Lord Bungle

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26:34 am »

looked it up, and had a shock, the iphone 4 does use a cut down sim.
thats another reason not to bother with the Iphone in my book.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 02:54:16 am »

Yes the iPhone 4 (and 3G capable iPads) use a micro SIM as opposed to the standard mini SIM we've all been used to for a few years now. Some of you may remember that there was once a SIM card and that it was replaced by the mini SIM!
It is possible to get SIM cutters that are like a paper punch and will cure the mini SIM down to micro size. In NZ many of the Vodafone shops have them and will do it for you - no guarantees though :) I did mine to test in an iPhone 4 and it worked fine.
Alister

PMK

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 03:38:21 am »

"I am not a fan of the iphone myself..."

Oh, I thought that you were - especially seeing as how you initially seemed to be familiar with the IOS prior to version 4.2.1
I'm now lead to believe that your reply in post #17 was likely just copied and pasted from one of the myriad iPhone hack pages gleaned from the Web. The clue is in the grammar and punctuation, which mysteriously just isn't there in your subsequent post.
Given that you obviously know damn diddly about the iPhone 4 and its capabilities, you will pardon me if I ignore your unwaranted biased comments regarding Ebay, HTC and Android.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 07:33:58 am »

Nothing wrong with a bit of cut and paste. It is just sharing knowledge.

For me, perhaps 90% of the work for most tech issues is finding the page/site on the internet that I need.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.