Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Wee Nip" Keel Bulb  (Read 3843 times)

rmaddock

"Wee Nip" Keel Bulb
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:34:51 pm »

Hello!

Number One son has acquired a pre-cut wood pack for the Wee Nip in his Xmas stocking.

Having reviewed everything, it looks easy enough; I'm not worried about the construction.

The question is, can one get a ready made keel bulb for this model?  I've searched the forum and found no direct references. I know there's a Graupner one at 1.4kg which somebody was going to try.  This is 200g overweight though (should be 1.2kg).  How did people get on?

I could make one sandwich style or even cast one.....I've done that before now for my marblehead. However, I'm about to start a full time university course and time is limited.

If anybody could point me at something I can just buy it'd be great.

Thanks.

Robert.

triumphjon

Re: "Wee Nip" Keel Bulb
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 02:40:28 pm »

i made mine from sheet , which after making a wooden mould and pressing the outer lead shell into the mould , i proceeded to melt lead into the shell with a blow torch , after making the two halves it was bolted through the keel fin with a stainless steel nut & bolt , my whole hull / keel has been coated in polyester resin .

Dekan

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:22:55 pm »

I am still waiting for one of the staff in my workplace machine shop to reduce it down to 1.2Kg ...Nothing available ready made as far as I know.

Marine Modeller Mag have been asked to find somebody to make some keel bulbs to compliment the wood pack,by several people, but don't seem interested so far.

rmaddock

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 05:37:32 pm »

Ah well, thanks all.

I guess I'll do it the authentic way then >>:-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 19 queries.