Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie progress report  (Read 2209 times)

Flatlander

Newbie progress report
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:12:31 pm »

I asked for help from Mayhemmers, and got some good advice (not all of which I followed this time, but it's in store for the future!). To part repay the debt, here are some nearly-newbie observations:

I wanted to build a scale, historic, sailing, static model. I eventually decided on a Billings kit (Marie-Jeanne, tunny fisher) - reason being it was in the local model shop, which had few boats being mostly aircraft, so limited choice. It's described as beginner/advanced beginner standard. I was able to look at the kit - always a good idea to inspect the goods! All present and correct, although some discrepancies showed later.

Quality: good. Laser-cut parts were clean, the main grouse being 6 blocks not full drilled, and I don't have that fine a drill, and no spares. Even Ikea give you a screw or two more than the plan says, just in case.

Instructions: meagre - I can make sense of them, but it won't look exactly like the photo on the box. Several parts don't fit well (eg there's a gantry (for fish-drying?) which is too long and too low to fit as the photo; there are several mast fittings shown, and some given part numbers, which are not in the kit). Some instructions are wrong - drilling a 2mm hole in a 3mm diameter rod won't work! However, with some common sense and careful dry-runs, things work out (so far). Conclusion: be careful to chack the plans explain things clearly; missing and poor-fitting parts can be worked around.

Planking: this had me worried, but I took it slowly (some days I only got two planks fitted!). Steaming/hotwater soaking, careful forming, drying the plank, and using superglue to "tack" the ends in place with a quick setting time, and PVA for the main run of the plank, worked well. The model is plank-on-frame, single skin; I wouldn't like to leave it bare wood and varnished, but with woodfiller (Ronseal) and sanding it's not too bad for my first effort. Conclusion: don't be scared by planking, just take it slowly.

Sub-assembly: check the plans: several parts can be almost finished, and left for attachment until later. I've assembled, checked and painted the (3) hatchways, the deck grating, most of the mast fittings and the tiller/rudder, some sitting in a small box and not for attachment until after all the rigging is done, which keeps the deck clear. Conclusion: plan ahead.

Painting: I got some acrylic enamel at Homebase's craft section, brand Polyvine. DON'T! It's serious rubbish. The white has almost no pigment - FOUR coats and the light-coloured wood still showed; the blue's pigments separated (white and dark blue), even stirring between brushfuls, and even on the wood, which I've never seen before. I used acrylic artists' colours (Rowney and Winsor & Newton), three thin coats and a coat of satin acrylic varnish (Homebase own-brand), works fine!

Finish: I planned a cop-out! As a working trawler, some wood texture would be expected on the hull, as the original paint finish wouldn't have been yacht-standard. Allowing myself a bit of latitude in final finish quality means that yes, it's got flaws, but no, I'm not depressed!

Anyway, I hope this is some help to others thinking about this branch of modelling. Don't hesitate too long, common sense helps, but perhaps don't get Billings, although I don't really know if other brands are any better - perhaps someone can say? 

cosmic

Re: Newbie progress report
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:52:41 pm »

Owen, thanks for you remarks. As I implied in your other thread, Billings kits are a problem, particularly for less advanced modelers. Materials are iffy and documentation is poor. Caldercraft/Jotika are IMHO the best in all respects concerning everything they make. Other good kits: (My opinion only) Model Shipways, Amati, Occre, Vidtory, and for some kits Artesaia Latina.

Your planking process is exactly mine. The tacking with CA glue until the PVA sets is the only use I have for CA, and it's handy for that purpose as you have discovered.

The hull paint I use is an acryllic exterior house paint, Behr brand. I don't know if it's available in your neck of the woods; here it's a big item available everywhere (states & Canada). It's very heavily pigmented; for brushing I thin it one to one with water. Then it flows and covers beautifully. If you apply it over sanding sealer, or any other oil based material, you'll need to sand the surface down carefully to ensure adhesion (applies to any acryllic over oil).   

Flatlander

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:11:41 pm »

Happy New Year, Rich! Thanks for your advice: I haven't heard of Behr paints, they haven't made it to Norfolk yet, but a lot of other things haven't. I used artists acrylic paints (I do a bit of picture-painting, so they were handy and known quality). They are intermixable to get exactly the shade needed and they don't separate; I used first layer thinned one to one with water, second layer watered until it flowed easily (about 25% water on average), and a single coat of satin clear acrylic varnish, and all seems good after a couple of weeks (photo from two weeks ago attached).

I've also used CA as a small spot on the knots of rigging, to stop any unravelling, possibly unnecessary, and to secure the rigging-to-spar knots which tended to slide along the spar.

The Marie Jeanne is progressing, although the deeper I get the more difficult the Billings plans are to interpret, so we agree on Billings' quality/challenge levels!

You have reassured me on Caldercraft/Jotika for the next in the fleet, but do you have any experience of Corel? There's a kit in a local craft shop, it's been there so long it's only about 60% of today's price - a bargain if the brand has a good reputation! Otherwise, possibly Sherbourne or if I feel brave a square-rigged ship - HMS Snake looks good!

Owen

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:03:07 pm »

Delightful :-))!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

cosmic

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:11:02 pm »

Corel kits in my experience vary from one to another. I hasten to add I've not built any (I'm a scratchbuilder of more modern vessels) but I've been hanging around the wooden modeler's community for a long while, and one picks up on what's going on. With Caldercraft for example there's a concensus. Opinions on Corel are all over the place, except that I've heard no over-the-top praise.

Flatlander

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 04:58:54 pm »

Rich: right, it seems that the bargain may not actually BE a bargain - money saved! Caldercraft here I come. But not yet, I've still got to finish this one!!

Owen

Lord Bungle

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 06:58:07 pm »

I would be more than happy if my boats came out looking as good as that, as Martin said Delightful.  :-))
can't wait to see your next build. I may get some photos up of my boats once I feel they have reached a standard worth taking photos of.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 23 queries.