Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: TRAWLER SEA LADY/ANGEL EMIAL  (Read 26612 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
TRAWLER SEA LADY/ANGEL EMIAL
« on: December 30, 2010, 08:17:02 pm »

Hi all

This is the new build, a beam trawler, from the free plans in Model Boats magazine.  The overall length is about 26 inches which gives it a scale of 1:35.

I have just finished planking the hull and am now at the stage of going to fill the hull with car body filler and then sand the hull to shape and then put a layer of tissue and resin onto the hull  for final finishing.

Here’s a picture of the planked hull.

The frames are made up from 5mm birch ply and she is planked with a mixture of obechi/lime 1.5 x 6mm planks

... aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TRAWLER SEA LADY/ANGEL EMIAL
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:45:39 pm »

Got a few photos for you John

Davie Tait,
Scotland

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:23:57 pm »

:-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:38:31 pm »

Your planking looks good Bluebird.....one consideration could be a layer of glass tissue & resin between each internal frames  O0...this adds immense strength & eliminates the 1.6 mm thick planks from flexing when sanding the externals 

Naturally it also waterproofs the internals......%% %% - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:20:28 pm »

hi there,

Mr Tait, I am very grateful for your photographs - they will be a great help.    I am in desperate need of photographs of the deck area of the vessel - do you know someone who could give me that information???

On the last photograph Dave has supplied - on close examination you will see a circular hole in the bow - is this hole a chute for discharging fish guts/unwanted fish/undersized fish?    Any ideas there??

Derek, to answer your question - I very rarely add matting to the inside of a hull - the only time I do that is when I have planked in balsa wood.    I find that just coating the inside with a good coating of pure resin and allowing it to soak into the timbers, adds sufficient strength and stiffness as well as a good water absorbtion barrier.   There is very little flex (if any) in the planking on this model, due to 2 factors:

1) the frame spacing is very close together - i.e. within 2 inches of each other

2) with using 6mm wide planks I have a great deal of 'edge bonding' between planks with the glue, which increases the overall rigidity of the plank.

aye
john e
bluebird

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 07:29:26 pm »

I'll ask some of the guys on Trawlerphotos if they have any detail photos of her deck in a couple of days John.

The hole in the port side you mention is too large to be a cooling water outlet for an engine to drive the bow thruster so even though it looks to be too low down and the wrong shape ( offal chutes are normally square or oblong and set at deck level ) I'd go for an offal chute for putting the guts and discarded fish/shellfish overboard , i'll ask the guys and see if they know

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 07:54:42 pm »

hi ya all

Just an update here:

Finished fibre glassing exterior of hull and smoothing down - there are 3 layers of resin - with 1 layer of tissue matt applied to the exterior.

First layer - pure resin - applied to the sanded bare hull and allowed to dry;

Second layer of resin applied along with a layer of tissue matting - and this was allowed to dry

Third layer - final coating of pure resin applied over the top

Allowed to harden for 24 hours to give a workable surface to sand smooth and produce a good finish.   

Removed from the building board and the inside has been given a coating of pure resin with a reduced amount of hardner, giving the resin ample time to soak into the timber and all the nooks and crannies and therefore sealing the timber from moisture penetration.

When the resin has eventually gone off - the next stage is to remove the locating lugs off the frames - and then level the deck and bullwarks - and then I will proceed to install the running gear.

Aye
john e
bluebird

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 09:15:44 pm »

A little more progress – I have been busy building the Kort nozzle and it presented me with a bit of a problem – because of its awkward size in diameter.  Normally, I would have used a bit of 3” plastic drainpipe machined to the correct shape and size.  This one has an outside diameter/dimension of 68 mm.  So, I ended up laminating the Kort from plywood and the procedure I used for this was:
I used a cardboard tube which came from the centre of some knitting yarn which the Mrs is using at the moment.   This tube had correct internal dimension required which corresponded with the outside diameter of the Kort nozzle so – this tube became the former for me to build up laminates of 1 mm thick plywood by 30 mm wide by roughly 200 mm long to begin with.  The first laminate I applied some cellotape to one side of it to prevent it bonding to the inside of the cardboard tube.
This laminate was placed inside the tube first with no glue on ensuring that the side which had the cellotape on was against the inside of the cardboard tube.   The second piece of plywood of similar dimensions, only slightly shorter had the glued to the inner piece of plywood already in the cardboard tube ensuring that the butt joints were opposite each other.  Then an assortment of clamps clamping the laminates together – when this had dried, I applied 4 more laminates building up the required wall thickness of the Korts nozzle.  This was then allowed to dry out completely and then the cardboard tubing was removed.
I have the facility of a lathe to which I machined the outside/inside angle and polished.  This was then given 2 coats of epoxy resin.
For those not having the facility of a lathe – you could make a mandrel up to hold the nozzle and then machine it in an electric drill.  From plasticard I also made a double jig up for aligning the nozzle with the prop shaft.  Then I located and fixed the nozzle in place using 2 brass pins.
aye
john

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:49:53 pm »

I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:43:57 pm »

Rigs - cheers my mate, can you send these pics (full size) to me email box?

thanks again mate   :-)) :-)) :-))

john

Roadrunner

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 07:49:14 pm »

Another Ace build log Bluebird, surprised the wife hasn't told you to sell up some of your builds to create space!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 08:11:03 pm »

well, the Mrs has as much wool stocks as I have models - so when Mrs gets rid of some of that lot, I might consider parting POSSIBLY with some of me models.

Mind you, I did part with a lot of my models before - and was sorely sorry.......mmmmmm thanks for the compliments there.  :-))

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 04:37:42 pm »

Get rid of them again and there is a size ten waiting to kick your a$@e

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

ok boss

I will obey your command

and promise to keep em this time  :-X  and waint sell em off to Brian's cousin & friends

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 08:01:35 pm »

"Sell" them you practically give them away to that orrible little man

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:55 pm »

OKAY OKAY divvent rub it in old boy :embarrassed: %%

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 03:01:24 pm »

Hi All, 

Just an update

The Kort nozzle has now bean fixed in place along with the rudder.

The rudder is made from an off-the-shelf  brass rudder which has had the blade cut and shaped to plan profile.Then 1/8 holes drilled through the blade to aid the bonding of the two pieces of 1/8 plywood Epoxied either side of the blade.  The ply wood cheeks were then shaped to an aerofoil shape along the length.

The motor mounts were then made up from 1/8 ply and lined up with the prop shaft along with the motor (motor is a speed 500 low drain).

Next to be fitted was the external keel made from plywood and styrene strip glued and pinned to the hull and then the bilge keels were fitted, again made from styrene strip.

aye

john

pugwash

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:08 pm »

A tough of class there Bluebird.
Geoff

ben hall

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 03:48:53 pm »

looking goood  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:09 pm »

Beautiful work John. Can I come up for a few lessons.   A pleasure on the eye.  :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 05:29:43 pm »

This lovely build is a treat and should be considered for the Masterclass section of the forum - it more than deserves this  upgrade.  :-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 06:24:03 pm »

hi just a quick update  I have removed the remaining frames from around the bulwarks and then proceeded to fit the main deck.   I fitted the deck in 3 parts for ease, as you can see.   The reason for this was, as well as the deck having a camber (as in bend/hump) in deck, it also has a rake from bow to stern (as in bent upwards).   In fitting the deck in 3 pieces allowed the 1mm thick plywood to follow these shapes with ease.    

The next stage you will see is that I have lined the inner sides of the bulwarks with 0.5 mm thick plasticard; this serve 2 purposes - main one it neatens up the inside of the planking and it allows me to use plastic evergreen strip to construct the bullwark supports and to glue them solidly to the bullwarks using liquid poly glue.       The next thing I did was to make a flush hatch in the middle of the deck so I could fit the main drive battery in this area.   It will be camouflaged in later with the deck planking.

Creating a small jig was next out of 1/8 plywood - to enable me to scribe a line on the outside of the hull - level with the deck.   ~This line will become the baseline for marking off the openings for the washports in the bullwarks.

aye
johne

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 06:34:38 pm »

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 09:07:58 pm »

You’re making a great job of her John, up to your normal high standard. She will be a nice looking model when finished going of the photos that Davie posted. I have often thought of building a fishing vessel instead of tugs, I might get around to it one of these days.

Brian

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 09:19:33 pm »

Brian, hi ya,

How ya doing mate, long time no hear from you.

Originally, this build was supposed to be a grey build or an old tramp steamer.   I had set my mind on the tramp steamer and then wor Riggers came over here to my house with a few plans ... and Marc showed me the plan for this and said 'what do you think' and to be honest I kept picking the plan up and putting it down and then there is something about the model I like.

So........started drawing the frames out and that is when the problems of many began.

Not one of the frames would line up properly with the side profile plan.

But....the best way I found was to draw all the frames out onto a piece of plywood.   When they were on the plywood I thought aye best cut them out and that was the beginning.

Nemesis reckons (that is wor Bill ya nar) I should have doubled the size - 40 odd inches long.... but me not being Popeye anymore and spinach levels at low and well out of stock - there was no way I could ever lift it - if it was 42 inches long......anyhow, I know even at 22 inches long this model is going to be some weight to get down to the water line....bath test me thinking, to find out how much ballast I need.

aye

john e
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.