Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you go about researching a Vessel  (Read 5620 times)

nick_75au

How do you go about researching a Vessel
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:51:47 am »

I am thinking about building a 1870's era warship, My net wanderings have turned up very little information. A museum has a solid wood builders model with an image online, there are a few references to her in a couple of online documents, and I have a book with an image and limited specifications. I think I can build the hull from this scant info but precious little else.

Nick

brianB6

Re: How do you go about researching a Vessel
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:08:50 am »

What Ship?
Try contacting Greenwich Maritime Museum if the ship was from UK.

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:41:25 am »

Hi Brian,
 An Australian ship, boat actually, Second class torpedo boat  Acheron/Avernus . I'm looking more for information on conducting research more than specific details of the boat in question, you know" give the man a fish/ teach a man to fish"

Cheers
Nick

deadbeat

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:16:43 am »

The Royal Navy has a Historical Branch sited in HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, the Australian Navy may have such a thing as well, even if they don't the RN Branch may be able to help. I don't know the web address, but go to the RN web site (Google it) and you may find a link to the historical branch.

Regards

ian kennedy

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 10:36:29 am »

Hi Nick,

The only info I could find for you is this...

ACHERON and the AVERNUS were built at Sydney 1879.

16 T displacement.

78 ft long 10 ft beam.

300 ihp = 16 knots speed.

Unlike some colonial TB's and gunboats which were built by Armstrong's in the UK, dismantled shipped to their intended customers country and reassembled after transport to their home waters station these appear to have been designed and built in Australia/New South Wales area.

At a guess I would say that they would probably have followed the Thornycroft 2nd class Torpedo boat design from the 1870's, being single screwed with either 1 or 2 swivel mounted tubes mounted on either beam towards the bow area, and a single swivel tube on the centre line aft.

If you have a maritime museum or war museum try contacting them with the above info to see if they have any drawings or photographs, sorry if this seem a pathetic reply but I have had no dealings with Australian museums, and all i can really say is don't give up if you fall at the first hurdle......research can be both painfull and rewarding at the same time!!

Regards

Ian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 10:47:35 am »

The RN Museum Website is here: http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/ As you will see, they cater for research enquiries.

If you are trying to track down details of a particular ship then the first thing is to try and find out where it was built as the shipyard would have had original drawings and maybe photos too. Then you may be able to trace what happened to that documentation and whether it ended up in a museum somewhere.

On the subject of research generally, Dave Wooley had a 10 page article on researching ship models published in the recent Model Boats Scale Special issue. You may be able to get hold of a copy of this if you eamil MyHobbyStore Customer Services customer.services@myhobbystore.com

Colin

nick_75au

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:01:30 am »

Here is a start to the hull in delft ship

http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/coll...se/?irn=211569

I have 3 Photos Ive retrieved from online plus one other in a book called Australian Warships Through The Lens 1901-1945. I know the builder from the museum link.

Currently working on a Delft Ship model but I'm struggling to reach the supposed 16 tons without the boat looking anaemic. The Museum Info suggests 22 tons, Ive had to reduce the indicated draft to make it look OK.

Colin, I will have to look that up
Thanks

nick_75au

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 11:24:05 am »

That image gave me another image from the Australian War Memorial 9(AWM) that is an engraving showing the internals and a top view, it should help me improve the lines plan.

What fun this is for a New Years Day, better than getting P****d at some seedy pub  ;D

Update to follow ok2

Nick

nick_75au

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 08:37:16 am »

I am thinking about fattening up the hull below the waterline, I don't know if the 22 tones is an accurate figure as there is a very similar Thornycroft boat that is 5 feet longer but weighs in at 33 tons. here is what I am thinking
Nick

linux

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 07:08:41 pm »

Warship 2001-2002 (ISBN 0851779018) contains a photo of both Avernus and Acheron in Sydney Harbour, Easter 1889. It is contained in an article called Australian Colonial Navies 1855-1900 by Colin Jones.

A quick Google search yielded the following information about archival material for these boats:

It is hoped that the survey in N.S.W. will also provide us with details of the Acheron and Avernus (82'6" x 10'6", 22 tons displacement), designed by Norman Selfe and built by the Atlas Engineering Company of Pyrmont.

Source: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~maav/hmvslonsdale.htm

Perhaps you could chase this up if you haven't already done so.

kiwi

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:05:02 pm »

Hi Nick,
The Mitchell Library in Sydney has original drawings from the Norman Selfe era. But don't expect a nicely listed catalogue for them. I have been researching for information from a couple of the companies where Selfe started his career, and the boats which where built at that time. Very labour intensive at the Mitchell, as you have to learn their system, and then interperprite the catalogue listing (if there is one). I have been doing it by file drawer. Select a drawer, then go through upto 80 odd drawings looking for what you want. My research has been mostly for boiler and engine details, and has been slow and laborious. Traveling from NZ doesn't help much either, but, I have had some good results, and will be there again next time in Sydney.
Hope this is of some help
kiwi

brianB6

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 10:13:45 pm »

I presume you have contacted the Navel Historical Society of Australia.
They offer to do research or can direct you where to look.
Website for the Acheron:-

http://www.navyhistory.org.au/australia%E2%80%99s-first-warship-the-torpedo-boat-acheron/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 11:02:31 pm »

Nick.......try searching for HMAS Childers  [1890?] :o ...I have an image of her on Port Phillip bay......I am interstate ....back later this week....will photograph & post then.....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Roadrunner

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »

try here
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forum.php

A great source of information and photographs, it will require you to sign up (its free) always a good source of reference for any modeller  :-))

nick_75au

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:55:05 pm »

Are there resources available for John I. Thornycroft, the designer of the vessels. I was wondering if there were any Norwegians on the board who could navigate the Maritime Museum

http://www.fmu.mil.no/marine/Marinemuseet.htm

Several sites link to this site but... a password is required to enter the site
http://www.knmskjold.org

They have a restored 1873 Thonycroft torpedo boat of which may have been a predecessor, HNoMS Rap

Nick

The Acheron has a locomotive boiler.

Nick

linux

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:34 am »

Are there resources available for John I. Thornycroft, the designer of the vessels.

Other sources - including the contemporary press cutting below - state that the ships were designed by Norman Selfe.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=GRA18790426.2.3.5

nick_75au

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:21 am »

Linux,
Thank you, how did you find that ? as part of my overall interest in how research in itself is done?

Cheers
Nick

linux

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 01:34:55 am »

I found it by Googling for "Norman Selfe" (per my previous post) and "Acheron".

kiwi

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:50:43 am »

Hi,
Norman Selfe was a prolific engineer. He worked (as a draughtsman) for P.J. Russell & Co. Ltd in 1863/4 when they built two River tug/supply boats (designed by a NZ engineer) for the NZ Colonial Govt. When Russell's closed he and the Chief Designer started their own business. Selfe went on to be one of Sydney's best known Engineers of the time.
The difference between 1864 and 1889 steam engines was very great, and Selfe did develop both steam engines and refrigeration plants, which where the equal or better than anything from Europe.
Just an aside.
cheers
kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.