Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown Cruiser under fire  (Read 1325 times)

Propslip

Unknown Cruiser under fire
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:44:51 am »

Whilst checking out my local postcard dealer yesterday, I came accross this postcard of a cruiser under fire. The card is by R A Fisk the HMS Ganges photographer. The ship has clearly been hit amidships, can anyone tell me the ship & location. I thought maybe HMS Glasgow at the Normandy landings, that ship was hit by some heavy artillery amidships. An unseen vessel is laying a smokescreen in the background.
                                                 Propslip

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Unknown Cruiser under fire
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:55:31 am »

Yes, I think that is almost certainly HMS Glasgow off Cherrbourg. I have seen the picture before.

Colin

Propslip

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:28:03 am »

I think you are right, the only thing that bothers me is a very prominent galley style vent just aft of the after mast & forward of the after director. This does not show on any of the pictures I have of Glasgow but I guess it could have been moved at a later date. Thia picture may have been taken as the first shell struck which hit the hanger but before the second which I think hit the after director, which iis very close to the galley pipe so maybe that was destroyed as well & when she was refitted they re sited it.
                                                          Propslip

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:03:38 am »

There is another photo of Glasgow going into action off Cherbourg in Bernard Ireland's book on cruisers, presumably before she was hit. It clearly shows the galley type vent. As you say, this being a lightweight structure, it is entirely possible that it was damaged in action and maybe subsequently replaced by forced ventilation.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.