Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ic rubber engine mounts ,horizontal or vertical ????  (Read 1301 times)


  • Guest
Ic rubber engine mounts ,horizontal or vertical ????
« on: January 01, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »

Ive been reading some back issues of rc magazines and came across an article from john stilldwell back in 1998.
It says in his write up that when making engine mounts for ic engines, its NOT a good idea to have the
rubbers horizontal, as this causes bad vibration compared to having the rubbers vertically mounted ?.

The article stated that the vibration caused by resonance was partly to blame for carburettor needle breaking
problems amongst other breakages in the engine due to such vibration.

Is this something still to be thought about when making engine mounts for glow engines, or has then been
something that has since been rectified in another way?

My engine mount rubbers are horizontal, and reading this has caused concern as to am i doing damage to
my engine by having them this way.

What is considered the best way to place the rubbers nowdays ? or is this this the wrong way to have them
most set ups ive seen are with horizontal rubbers.




  • Guest
Re: Ic rubber engine mounts ,horizontal or vertical ????
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »


have allways mounted the rubbers in the horizontal , never had any problems

engine movement / breakages can be down to tooo small / too soft rubbers  ;) ;) ;) ;)

i know a lot of nitro bouys run the engines on rubbers in the vertical but this may be as thery run gearboxs on some engines  {-) {-) {-)

cheers tony



  • Guest
Re: Ic rubber engine mounts ,horizontal or vertical ????
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »

I have always mounted them horizontal myself,but after reading the piece about them i was wondering  if it was ok or not.

Apart from multi hulls i dont think ive seen more than a handfull using vertical rubbers.

I use very large rubber mounts that are normally used to mount radiators in cars/vans etc.
Mine are about 3/4 inch and pretty stiffish.

Pages: [1]   Go Up