Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Royal Cutter Britannia deck details needed  (Read 4059 times)

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
Royal Cutter Britannia deck details needed
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »

I have a fibreglass hull of Britanna, the king's racing yacht, made by Bob Underwood I understand.
It is about 160cm long and very good quality.
Scale seems to be about 1:30.
I have a set of sails to suit, gaff rig with 3 jibs and a topsail, the mainsail boom is very long, overhanging the deck
I am working on the deckhouse at moment and I am looking for any information about the yacht, photos,drawings etc.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry
Sailing is always a challenge and every voyage different

tony23

Re: Royal Cutter Britannia deck details needed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:19:51 pm »

Oooh! that's very nice can they still be bought I would love one.

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:22:31 am »

Hi
I understand this is the last hull Bob Underwood made.
He has now retired.
I bought the hull unfinished from a guy in Cardiff.
One of our members has bought the NZ J Class mould and is intending to produce these this year.
The hull is very similar to this hull but only 48 inch rather than 5ft3inch which is the length of this hull.
Photos attached for interest.
If you want more information on the NZ J class just let me know
Terry

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:22:42 am »

Traplet do a set of plans for the Britannia yacht. They are on six sheets and very detailed.

I have a set but unfortunately I have just moved house and have not unpacked much yet. I think there was also an accompanying model boats article someone helped me with. But my old laptop also got destroyed in the move, and have no access to picks.

But someone else may be able to help with these.

TT

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

terryyacht

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:28:45 pm »

Hello

Thanks for information.

I have the plans from MMI and Stan from the potteries has offered to sell me the copies of MMI covering the build.
I would like to see any pictures of the boat as she was, obviously there were not a lot of photographers about at the time so these are a bit rare.
I would have thought there had been a number of models built from this hull but have not found another one around.
I think I will have to  simplify the rigging and probably only sail in very light winds, as she carries a lot of canvas.
Mine has internal ballast only, the model in MMI is smaller and had a drop keel fitted, this is not possible or desirable on my hull.
Terry

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:57:10 am »

Hi Terry

Some of the ‘J' class models have a stretched (in the vertical plane) hull, to get the ballast lower. A quick look at the MMI plan will show you if this is the case.

If you are planning to gaff rig her, you can always leave off the gaff topsail in heavier winds.

Looking at the MMI plan (I think 1/32 scale) there is an external keel fitted. At some stage I will try a 1/16 scale and maybe she will just ballast, at over 2m long I hope so.

Canopus

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:55:46 pm »

A little late in response but ther is a book available called "Enterprise to Endeavour" Ian Dear? which coveres the life of the "J" class. There are a number of close up photo's inclusing some of Britannia but I can't recall how much detail is really shown. If of interest I'll try to find the book (having also just moved and living out of boxes!).

I used the MM plans and scalled them up for my version of a pond yacht. My hull is 57" long but I also used a PC to increase the beam and draft to give me, hopefully, a more practical sailing yacht. So far I have only planked and fibreglassed the hull and cast the lead keel so a lot more work to do!

I have seen the Britannia moel a couple of times and it looks uperb but was somewhet tender due to the scale effect.

Good luck

Geoff

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:05:07 pm »

All the 'J' boats were a bit tender at 1:1 scale by the end of the era. They did not like to sail in heavy winds towards the end of the 'J' racing history.
 This is outlined in Enterprise to Endeavour, not the easiest read I found.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.