Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PC "Police" strike again !!  (Read 12527 times)

bilzin

PC "Police" strike again !!
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »

I was going to ask if anyone had seen the new David Walliams/Matt Lucas comedy sketch show, Come Fly With Me  on BBC1, and if they had, did they find it racially offensive?

I think the newspaper article linked below just about sums up the hysteria that abounds in the UK at this time.

ps....I found it to be mildly amusing, but in no way "racist" and also note that the complainants never once cited the caucasian characters as being racially offensive mmmmm

Bill
 :police:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/michaeldeacon/100050208/come-fly-with-me-is-it-racist/

Lord Bungle

Re: PC "Police" strike again !!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:48:53 pm »

I find stuff like this and the Health and Safety problems that get reported are often in the minds of the journalists them selves,
Have there being any complaints to the bbc about the program (before the newspaper decided to ask the question that is)
I remember stuff getting reported about thing getting banned due to the HSE and when people looked into it the HSE had nothing to do with it.
Stirring up hornets nests sells papers. and if there is no hornets nest they will dream one up

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:55 pm »

Apparently in some quarters the Top Gear Christmas Special did not go down to well either...  Oh Dear what a shame...

Also did not find "Come fly with me"  Racially offensive in anyway , just found it Boring.

gwa84

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:34 pm »

didn't fined it funny but definitely not racist  >>:-( sometimes this just gets silly

regiment

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 01:47:13 pm »

i say bring back love thy neighbour

Lord Bungle

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:00:39 pm »

The one that allways makes me smille is when people say in sickness and in health souldn't be shown as its racist,
 {-)
they should bring that back to TV as well

Double D

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 02:22:55 pm »

Gold show episodes of Porridge which contain racial and gay remarks.  I don't find them offensive at all, it's called good old British Humour  O0

Lord Bungle

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:46:54 pm »

Gold show episodes of Porridge which contain racial and gay remarks.  I don't find them offensive at all, it's called good old British Humour  O0

:-)) I do love the quotes from Porridge
Fletcher: Watch out for 'im. 'Es the mad butcher of Slade prison.
Rudge: What did he do?
Fletcher: Fiddle the VAT on his sausages.

"Fletcher: Show me a man who laughs at defeat and I will show you a black chiropodist with a sense of humour.

Yarpie

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:14:13 pm »

I watched "Come Fly With Me".

Mildly amusing with some contrived comedy.

But what spoilt it for me was the occasional subconscious thought of "I bet that'll upset some minority group".  That feeling is firmly lodged in our psyche nowadays, whereas many years ago we would have taken the punchline for exacly what it was, a comedy punchline. %)  Even I have become "conditioned" lately.

I belong to a minority group and every morning when I shave I find this big-eared ginger ugly fizzog staring at me in the mirror. Although mildly repulsed by the reflection, I remember that we must laugh these sort of things off, so I smile and get on with my shave. :D

If we cannot laugh at ourselves, then who can we laugh at??

tomo55

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 03:18:51 pm »

Who are these PC Police? ignore them I do.
As for 'Come fly with me' Not that funny but certainly not Rascist.
Chris

bilzin

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:26:52 pm »

Good ol' Brit humour died a death alongside Brown footballs, cars that were made to last, british industry, soon to be followed by the NHS and the Royal Mail   <:(

Bill

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 03:34:03 pm »

Different people find different things offensive, whether it's due to racism, sexism, ageism or prejudice of any kind. If everyone was the same it would be a boring world. I watch the older programmes like Porridge, Open All Hours and my favourite Dads Army for one reason-they're funny, not like the 'politically correct' tripe made these days. I can understand how these older shows could offend some people with some of their references. I can also understand why some found Come Fly With Me and the Top Gear Special offensive. Top Gear have always pushed things to the limits, to their credit I think. If somebody doesn't like something then tough, they can always just get up or find the remote and TURN IT OFF... Dave. O0 O0 O0 O0

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »

Good ol' Brit humour died a death alongside Brown footballs, cars that were made to last, british industry, soon to be followed by the NHS and the Royal Mail   <:(

Bill

Don't forget the Coastguard Service and the Royal Navy...

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:08:18 pm »

:-))

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:12:17 pm »

What ever you do dont mention Billy Cottons Bandshow.Appears to have been airbrushed from history.John.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 04:18:04 pm »

What about the Monochrome Minstrels   %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 04:46:18 pm »

Hi all, I suppose this means that we will not be seeing any repeats of "Love thy neighbour" then.
regards Roy

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 04:50:25 pm »

Hi all, I suppose this means that we will not be seeing any repeats of "Love thy neighbour" then.
regards Roy

Or "till death us do part"  ;)

even only fools and horses would be scorned upon now, what with Sikh crash hats an blow up dolls
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

bilzin

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 05:56:11 pm »

What about the Monochrome Minstrels   %% %%

Ned

They were re named the " Multicultural Minstrels " a long time ago

Bill
 O0

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:07 pm »

I got the complete 'Steptoe & Son' boxed set for Christmas, brilliant stuff. Some episodes there I've never seen on Gold or re-run on the BBC, probably due to their political incorrectness! Sad really...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 06:50:51 pm »

As the saying goes 'The past is another country, they do things differently there.'

Colin

bilzin

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 06:54:43 pm »

As the saying goes 'The past is another country, they do things differently there.'

Colin

Colin,
    Hate to tell you this, but the present UK is rapidly becoming another country too !

It's certainly NOT the one I served for 22 years

Bill (ex 63 Sqn RAF Regiment)      :-X

The long Build

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »

I got the complete 'Steptoe & Son' boxed set for Christmas, brilliant stuff. Some episodes there I've never seen on Gold or re-run on the BBC, probably due to their political incorrectness! Sad really...

It has been rerun and the special was om over Christmas..

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 07:08:04 pm »

We have had a bit of a grumble lately about the 'short-fallings' of the UK whether it be political shortfalls, Police Organisations & etc. and we have blamed everyone.  Really we should begin and point the finger at ourselves - who has voted in the Government who have brought all these legislations in to allow this country to go the dogs, it wasnt Aliens....nobody but ourselves.

So instead of us airing our views on the model boat forum  -  should we not make a written note of our grievances and send them off to the Houses of Parliament and remember the shortcomings and shortfalls for the next elections - then we will see who is going to address the problems.

So....stop the whining on and blame ourselves.

here here....
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

The long Build

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 07:16:36 pm »

We have had a bit of a grumble lately about the 'short-fallings' of the UK whether it be political shortfalls, Police Organisations & etc. and we have blamed everyone.  Really we should begin and point the finger at ourselves - who has voted in the Government who have brought all these legislations in to allow this country to go the dogs, it wasnt Aliens....nobody but ourselves.

So instead of us airing our views on the model boat forum  -  should we not make a written note of our grievances and send them off to the Houses of Parliament and remember the shortcomings and shortfalls for the next elections - then we will see who is going to address the problems.

So....stop the whining on and blame ourselves.

here here....

Problem here is we have 3 main partys  See no Evil , Hear No Evil , Speak No evil and they are all Useless & Spineless and would never stand a chance if they came out of thier Ivory Towers into the Real world of Live..  Oh I forgot the Other Government , Those Idiots across the Water in Brussels or wherever they are..  We may have won The Battle of World War 2 but were loosing the war on keeping our Identity well and truley..
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.