Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: floods  (Read 8720 times)

regiment

floods
« on: January 04, 2011, 01:33:12 pm »

has any body noticed no appeal for the aussie flood victims but if it was for our coloured friends money would be flooding in (SORRY ABOUT THE PUN) by now after all we still get on forget the ashes

Lord Bungle

Re: floods
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 02:15:38 pm »

If you or anyone else wish to send a donation you can here.
http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html  thats the queensland govt site for donations. I am sure they will be very happy to receive money from the UK  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Australian floods
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:00:41 pm »

I was astounded yesterday when they were saying the flooded area was equivalent to the land area of France AND Germany combined!    :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:29:54 pm »

I was astounded yesterday when they were saying the flooded area was equivalent to the land area of France AND Germany combined!    :o

Martin,
Queensland covers a BIG/LARGE/MASSIVE area it takes a full TWO DAYS driving to travel from Cairns to Brisbane for instance; Rockhampton is just over half way if memory serves. The best thing though is that there hardly any traffic by our standards but, the traffic plod can be devious. The flight time is two hours which is almost the same as Liverpool to Alicante.

MP

Lord Bungle

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:26:04 pm »

to give and idea of how big Aus is
My Mum is from Perth in W.A. lives here after meeting an marrying my dad, she hasn't been back but we will  hopefullyl one day as a family,
she has told me stories about some of the driving they did out there in the 60's roads that were 100's of miles long and arrow straight. or roads where there is 1 rock or tree in 30 miles to break up the landscape, and what happens to this 1 tree or rock? it becomes a beacon and people drive into it  %%

My Grandfather once told me he drove 500 miles 1 morning to have breakfast with his grand kids, then saw them to school then drove 500 miles home again.
500 miles here is a massive drive, there its a trip for breakfast. The scale is huge, another cousin has a sheep ranch, his nearest town is 2 days drive, the go into town every 3 months spend the weekend there having "fun" and getting supplies then head back home for another 3 months.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:31:11 pm »

Yes they are doing it tough. <:( <:( <:(

To put it in perspective Australia in area roughly equates to the USA.

The mainland is divided into basically 6 states actually one is called, Northern Territory. Tasmania (an Island) is the other state.

If I remember correctly our small state of Victoria roughly equates to the UK.

So when things go pear shape such as fires, floods, cyclones its big time, plus we are not many in number but humongous in spirit. Actually we are a little too preoccupied to concentrate on winning the Ashes so will do so next time %) %) %)

It is common and normal to drive about say 200 kilometres round trip from say Brisbane in the same day to party on at the Gold Coast or North Coast for New Year and events etc. O0 O0 O0

nick_75au

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:43:24 pm »

This map shows the State of QLD with floods, yesterday.

The furthermost west rivers Cooper and Diamantina flow into Lake Eyre a salt lake currently with some water in it, Australians lowest point at 12 metres below sea level It takes 2-3 months for the water in these rivers to reach Lake Eyre , the river flowing south flows into the Murray/ Darling system where it exits the sea near Adelaide SA. Flood waters from about 2 months ago that fell in Queensland recently caused minor flooding in Mannum east of Adelaide on the Murray.

On the subject of distance one Christmas my wife and me drove from Lismore (2 hours south of Brisbane) to Adelaide, 2000 Klms in 20 hours. Never again  %%

Nick

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:31:15 pm »

it takes a full TWO DAYS driving to travel from Cairns to Brisbane for instance; Rockhampton is just over half way if memory serves.

As a matter of interest, Brisbane to Rockhampton is 635km, while Brisbane to Cairns is 1713km, according to the Hema Road Atlas of Australia. The UK could fit into Victoria with quite a lot of Victoria left over. The Indian Pacific, one of the world's great rail journeys, runs between Sydney and Perth, via Adelaide. It covers a distance of 4352km....each way.

http://www.railaustralia.com.au/indianPacific.php

The map below shows the relative sizes of Australia and the 48 contiguous states of the USA.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 04:50:11 am »

VERY roughly
Adelaide to Melbourne 1000 Km
Melbourne to Sydney 1000 Km
Sydney to Brisbane 1000 Km
Brisbane to Cairns 1500 Km
Adelaide to Perth 2300 Km
Lands End to John o' Groats 1000Km

bigfella

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 06:38:14 am »

I know the floods are devastating however the Australian media are trying to outdo each other with having programs broadcast from the disaster zone. Also so they can outdo each other they are calling it RECORD BREAKING. Australia is no stranger to drought and floods and these floods are massive however is has happened before and even worse in some areas 1919 1942 1954 and 1991 (not sure on the accuracy of  some of the years). Climate change brigade have jumped on board saying this is evidence of man made global warming just as they did when there was a drought. To me it is Australia just doing what Australia does the best going from one extreme to the other.

Regards David

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 08:31:43 am »

Bigfella,

Recall that in 1974 when Brisbane actually flooded, as well as the Gold Coast, referred to as the disastrous 1974 floods, the present weather is almost getting back to the same pattern as back then in 1974.

Namely a lot of rain about Christmas, New Year.

In the interim we have forgotten how wet it normally gets bescause of the recent prolonged drought.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 09:41:45 am »

Climate change brigade have jumped on board saying this is evidence of man made global warming just as they did when there was a drought.

This would be the SAME Global warming people that in the early 70's were saying we are going to have Global Cooling.
Or as I call it Hedging your bets, The planets going to be destroyed by being to hot or cold or tepid or something, now I have produced that report can I have some of the millions spent on there research ? I will spend it on fast cars, fast women, fast boats, and drink, the rest I will waste :D

bigfella

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:12 am »

Recall that in 1974 when Brisbane actually flooded, as well as the Gold Coast, referred to as the disastrous 1974 floods, the present weather is almost getting back to the same pattern as back then in 1974.

Namely a lot of rain about Christmas, New Year.

In the interim we have forgotten how wet it normally gets bescause of the recent prolonged drought.

I remember the 74 floods. We had only migrated to Australia 4 years before and lived in Redcliffe Peninsula (which became an Island) and my older brothers went into some of the worst hit parts of Brisbane to help. Funny how I remember my grandmother ringing us up from the UK and seeing if we had enough water  {-) {-) %% %% . But I can remember in the 70s the rain would last for weeks during summer and it was heavy rain, then suddenly stop. Funny how we forget after a while the WEATHER patterns that suddenly become climate change.

Regards David

Martin13

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 10:55:25 am »

So when things go pear shape such as fires, floods, cyclones its big time, plus we are not many in number but humongous in spirit. Actually we are a little too preoccupied to concentrate on winning the Ashes so will do so next time %) %) %)

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Lord Bungle

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 11:36:48 am »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

are you saying the floods are the collective tears of Queenslanders after loosing the Ashes ?  O0 :P

nick_75au

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 11:54:34 am »

The Australian Bureau of meteorology has stated that 2010 was the wettest on record, 1109 mm average for the state since records begun in 1900

Bellenden Ker Top Station had more than 12 metres of rain - 12,438.4 millimetres , that's as much as Mawsynram in India, the place with the record for the wettest average

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/2010-queenslands-wettest-year-on-record-20110105-19fnx.html

And after 2 days sunshine, "its raining again"

Nick

Hey Bungle see post #4 in the STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SNOW ;D

Martin13

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 09:27:05 pm »

Actually we are a little too preoccupied to concentrate on winning the Ashes so will do so next time %) %) %)

Lord Bungle:-

Maybe a bit more editing was needed.
 I feel deep sorrow for our Northern neighbours as floods do virtually the same damage as bushfires - once the event has passed - nothing is usable - you lose everything....

I just enjoy "RaaArtyGunner" sense of humour.... O0 :-))

Martin doon in Victoria

Lord Bungle

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 10:26:11 pm »

Lord Bungle:-

Maybe a bit more editing was needed.
 I feel deep sorrow for our Northern neighbours as floods do virtually the same damage as bushfires - once the event has passed - nothing is usable - you lose everything....

I just enjoy "RaaArtyGunner" sense of humour.... O0 :-))

Martin doon in Victoria
Got a lot of time for those down under, think my mums aussie Humour has rubbed off on me a bit as well. I do like the attitude of well its happened no use crying over split milk lets get on with it, that seams to prevail there.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 11:06:50 pm »

another cousin has a sheep ranch

Ranch??? :o There's no such thing as a "ranch" in Australia, they're called "stations". "Ranch" is an American term O0

Peter.

Martin13

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:59 pm »

Ranch??? :o There's no such thing as a "ranch" in Australia, they're called "stations". "Ranch" is an American term O0

Peter.

Hey Pete,

Isn't what's referred to as a Ranch in the states is more like a "Hobby Farm" here O0 O0. And Stations are measured in square Kilometers or how many days to walk across O0 O0

Mdu

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 09:27:55 pm »

Quite right, Martin :-)) Some stations are as big as European countries.

A few statistics - Anna Creek Station is 34,000 square kilometres (about 6,000,000 acres); Belgium is just over 30,000 square km; the biggest American ranch is about 6,000 square km.

This site is worth a look http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/australian-cattle-stations.html

Queenslanders have been told to expect some more rain, but not as severe as before. We had a couple of good showers over the last two days, almost 7 inches, in fact :o , but because we are right on the coast the water drains away quickly.

Peter.

triumphjon

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:49 pm »

lets hope the rain lets up soon , funny everybody keeps claiming global warming , its cold and damp this side of the pond and very wet on your side !

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 10:36:02 pm »

Good ole Brissie is gettin wet again (still) we had 50mm last night and another 25mm now.

Some parts copped hail and a storm but up north and west is still getting wet.

They'll all look like prunes when its all over.

What a mess all, that water in the open cut mines which are all probably big lakes.

nick_75au

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 11:29:55 pm »

This is our Local Creek, normal level is 2.5 metres lower and a trickle. the water rises and falls very quickly and all the houses are another 2 metres higher so no damage. Would be fun to have a Jet boat in this.

Third row second image the handrail for the foot bridge is just visible, and under the road bridge is a pedestrian footpath.

Got to feel for the people who are affected.

Nick

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 11:55:35 pm »

Nick,

Suppose Tygum is also now also overful.

Probably be able to launch from the roadway
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 22 queries.