Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: floods  (Read 8719 times)

nick_75au

Re: floods
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 12:08:45 am »

Yes Tygum is over full, due more to the owner of the property where the drain runs through letting it overgrow, It used to flood at any hint of rain, now it just takes a deluge like we've had since they improved the under road culvert. The water was ah high as the seats of the shelter.

Nick

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 06:03:09 am »

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:54 pm »

Look at the brighter side of things ...You'll have no trouble finding water to sail your boats
  %) Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 09:56:38 pm »

Good point and its fresh water so no need to clean up to remove any salt  O0 O0 O0

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 10:31:01 pm »

no need to clean up to remove any salt

Just the mud %)

Peter.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 05:49:38 pm »

Smile Peter'
, its a New Year
 I've got Friends and Relations down there ... as luck would have it they are all OK and no water damage. Though one of my cousins says that she has to go shopping by boat in stead of the "Ute"
Jimmy
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 10:13:32 pm »

I'm smiling, Jimmy, I'm smiling :D :D but I'm not affected by floods, just thoroughly sick of constant wet weather >>:-( There are many thousands far worse off than me and, having experienced many floods myself over the years, I have the most heartfelt sympathy for those people O0

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 10:16:08 pm »

Plenty of wet weather here too Peter - we've hardly seen the sun for weeks.

Colin

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 02:26:48 am »

Well as anticipated, 1974 is here again and Brisbane is battening down the hatches to stop getting wet.

Still it will only last for forty days and nights and then stop  O0 O0 O0

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 03:19:49 am »

Toowoomba, a city of over 90,000 people 127km west of Brisbane, has been hit by a huge wall of water unlike anything seen in the city before. The TV footage of water raging through low lying areas is unlike anything I've ever seen in Australia. Apparently the torrent hit without warning, washing cars away, many of them with people inside. 8 people including 4 children, are confirmed dead, but 72 more are unaccounted for. I have experienced many floods but, as I said, have never seen anything like this in Australia. I'm sure the footage of this tragedy will appear on TV screens world wide. Some can be seen here http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/01/11/3110273.htm

It comes on top of some of the worst floods in Queensland's history but, worryingly, further rain is predicted. Toowoomba is at an altitude of 700 metres above sea level, and is not a place I have ever associated with severe flooding. My youngest son and his family lived there for 2 and a half years until 2000, and we visited regularly. Ironically, the city is notoriously dry, and dam levels have been so low a pipeline was recently completed to bring extra water to the city. Toowoomba has an annual Carnival of the Flowers, and people participating in the garden competition are usually given permission to use more water than is generally allowed. The full impact of the flooding is still being assessed, but the premier of Queensland, Anna Bligh, has warned that the death toll may rise.

More info here http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/10/3109846.htm

Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 04:27:22 am »

Indeed Peter it came without any warning. As you say it is a place that you would think would be the safest in Queensland. However it was just reported that it was a flash flood brought on by a severe thunderstorm. All we need is a low off the coast and we could go under. If it continues like this the Gold Coast will have its first real test as the Merrimac flood plain has been built on and that saved the Coast from any real serious floods before. Also to consider is the Broadwater (Mouth of the Nerang River) has slowly been building up with sand since the dredging stopped some years ago. The Hinze Dam is over 100% so I just went out to get some supplies just in case.

Regards David

brianB6

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 06:19:53 am »

Thinking and praying for you all up north.
The weather forecasters are now saying the rain could reach even Tassie by the middle of next week so we may be sharing in the misery.
Brian in Melbourne

Martin13

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 06:57:29 am »

David,

Could you and our other Northern neighbours/members, please keep us updated to your personal situation. The ABC news service are doing an excellent job on reporting towns that may be affected.

Hang in there David, our thoughts and prayers are with you..........

Martin and the missus

nick_75au

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 07:41:08 am »

Hi,
 its bad for the people affected, we are not close to the affected areas but have family and friends that are.

The reports are benchmarking the 1974 floods and saying levels may reach those levels, Brisbane River in the CBD is set to reach 5.5 metres, where normal very high tides would reach 1.8 metres. Wivenhoe dam is at 174%, can hold up to 200% for flood mitigation, so they have to release water regardless.

6500 homes will be flooded and a further 15000 will be affected.

We still have 2 months of "wet season" in front of us

Nick

barryfoote

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 08:19:26 am »

I am watching this with concern and sadness. You guys and galls over there keep your selves safe...

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 08:32:55 am »

People are trapped West of the range and can't get to their homes and to Brisbane as the two crossings, Cunningham's Gap and Toowoomba, are closed due to landslides.

The two towns nearby, Warwick and Toowoomba are also inundated.

This side of the range all low lying areas are flooded cutting access in and out of Brisbane to these areas.

At this rate Brisbane will experience 1974 all over again.

Flood waters in most areas in the suburbs are receding as the rain eases however the high tides, king tide on Thursday, will cause more flooding.

So crunch day is Thursday, two sleeps to go. :-)) :-))

In Brisbane

bigfella

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 11:00:02 pm »

My assessment is that the Gold Coast will be safe unless we get a storm or a low off the coast. Woke up this morning to sunshine but unfortunately even if the rain stops in Ipswich and Brisbane the water is already upstream and will make its way through the river systems  add that to the necessary water to be let go from the Wivenhoe Dam and the king tide it will cause major flooding. I heard on the radio last night that Brisbane City Council after the 74 floods made some changes to the town planing and building regulations in the flooded areas. It was in regards to building a certain height above the peak of 74 floods but only on new construction and as most of Brisbane's homes are older not much has changed.

Keep dry
David

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 11:27:13 pm »

Bigfella,

Whilst the intent was there the Council had no stomach to carry it out as usual a political backflip.
A map was produced showing all flooded ares of Brisbane from least to worst effected suburbs.
Because there were loud screams of devaluing properties etc blah blah blah the map disappeared.
Also there was some crazy logic that it was a one in 50 year event and would not occur again if ever for 50 years.
Well hello guess who got it wrong, not that it helps all those who are now in troublewith flood prone houses and experts have been proven right that it could happen again.
Ipswich city is now flooded but peak hasn't been reached.
That flood water, from the Bremmer River which feeds into the Brisbane River is adding to Brisbane's flooding. The flood map produced in 1974 has now resurfaced.

To add insult to injury some towns, Emerald for example which was severely flooded, allowed the construction of residential and commercial buildings on low lying land to cope with the Mining demand for housing etc. hence reason for flooding where there was none previously.
It used to be that the mining companies built the townships and infrastructure but not now, the State and Local authorities (AKA  taxpayer) have taken on that risk.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 11:59:11 pm »

fingers crossed for you all in the Brisbane area, Laughing and joking aside I hope you get through this ok.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 02:58:43 am »

Recently I read the definition of a 1 in 50, or 1 in 100 year flood. Apparently it does not mean that a big flood is only likely to occur once every 50 or 100 years, but it does mean that there is a 1 in 50 (2%) or 1 in 100 (1%) chance of such a flood occurring...........apparently {:-{

From the scale of the flooding in Queensland I think that this must be a 1 in 1000 year disaster. Nobody has ever seen flooding on such a massive scale, and the cost to Queensland's, and Australia's economy, will be counted in the billions of dollars, to say nothing of the human cost.

Reports coming in from Brisbane say that the CBD is almost a ghost town, with bus services being progressively wound down as the river level rises. Train services are also severely disrupted, and road travel is very restricted in riverside and low lying suburbs. The city of Ipswich, just to the west of Brisbane, is cut in half by water, and many properties are, or soon will be flooded. It is reported that nearly 20,000 homes will be flood affected to some degree, and over 2100 roads are flooded in the Brisbane / Ipswich areas. Over 90 people are now listed as missing, and emergency services are starting to look for survivors who may have escaped the floods, but who have been unable to notify others that they are safe. It is to be hoped they all are, but grave fears are held for their safety.

The floods in south east Queensland have drawn attention away from other parts of the state which are still badly affected by water. The small town of Condamine, about 340km west of Brisbane, is preparing to evacuate for the second time in 10 days, and many other small towns are still isolated. The  water is slowly receding in bigger cities such as Rockhampton and Bundaberg, but it will take many days, even weeks, before Rockhampton is clear.

Peter.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 03:22:29 am »

Recently I read the definition of a 1 in 50, or 1 in 100 year flood. Apparently it does not mean that a big flood is only likely to occur once every 50 or 100 years, but it does mean that there is a 1 in 50 (2%) or 1 in 100 (1%) chance of such a flood occurring...........apparently {:-{

Some clarification,
from wiki Similarly, a flood level expected to be equaled or exceeded every 10 years on average is known as a ten-year flood
The 74 floods were classed as 50 year event, not a 1 in 50 event, namely 1974 was expected to be equalled or exceeded every 50 years on average unless mitigated.

The 100 year flood is used as baseline by local Authorities,  see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100-year_flood

If the 1 in 50 was to be correct then there is no recurring danger as it has only 2% chance of recurring.

The 1 in 50 is measuring percentages whereas a 50 year event is measuring time.

bigfella

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:28 am »

Just an update on the Brisbane flood. It has been revised that the peak will be 5.2meters which is .2 of a meter less then 1974 floods. Although the height is still catastrophic it will not be as bad as was first indicated. Part of the reason is because all forcasters and governments are to reliant on computer modeling instead of commensense and local knowledge.

Regards David

Martin13

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 11:12:44 am »

That's good news David as every foot counts.  :-))

We had some flash flooding down here in Vic and my sheds were inundated with a foot of water. No problems with the model boats as they were floating around but the radios in a cabinet did not fair well (also got into some very old photos) - but that's nothing compared to our Northern Neighbours - looks like an insurance job O0

Martin du

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:19 pm »

Martin DU,

Check your policy it seems majority of Insurance companies do not cover water inundation (Flooding) except from the sky???

This means the majority of affected Qld victims are not covered by insurance, hence why the appeal for cash donations to help victims.

About time National legislation was introduced defining meaning of floods, fires, etc so Insurance companies cannot wriggle out of paying policy holders after these disasters <:( <:( >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 09:44:38 pm »

The Brisbane River peaked at just over 4.5 metres, 1 metre less than predicted. This has come about because less water was released from the Wivenhoe Dam than was originally thought to be necessary. It seems that this dam, which was built following the 1974 floods, has done what it was designed to do, and that is mitigate the effects of severe flooding on Brisbane. Who knows what would have happened had the dam not been there this time? It allowed the progressive release of excess water into the Brisbane River system, and prevented a huge uncontrolled surge in the river.

Flood affected residents have my sympathy, as I know what it's like cleaning up after such an event. Mud is everywhere, and can be difficult to remove if allowed to dry. We found that the best approach was to be in our butcher shops as the water was receding, and hose the mud out as the water level drops. Unfortunately, many people may not be able to access their premises to start the clean up until the water has gone down, by which time the job is much harder.

The death toll is now officially 13, but with over 40 still missing the final number is not yet known.

Peter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.