Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Airbrush??  (Read 3217 times)

barryfoote

Cheap Airbrush??
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:33:56 pm »

Hi guys and galls,

I have been having a nightmare over here in Spain trying to obtain simple spray paints and varnish for my model. I gave up and bought ordinary paints with a view to brushing but have quite rightly been persuaded against this. I am therefore considering buying one of those cheap Badger airbrushes with a bottle under it and a can of gas as a propellant. I am by no means experienced in this area so I have two questions.

Will one of these cheap airbrushes, be good enough to paint a hull of less than one metre in length, bearing in mind that I will be able to do a little practice before I do the main job.

How large a can of propellant will I need for several coats or will I need several cans..

I would appreciate any help as I would like to go out in the morning to make my purchases..

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Roger in France

Re: Cheap Airbrush??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 06:43:22 pm »

Barry,

It is my experience that a cheap airbrush will be OK for a hull but not for a lot else. Also, cans of propellant are a pain and do not last long.

I understand where you are coming from and what you are intending to do without committing a large budget. However, if you get along with a cheap airbrush and propellant I predict that within one month you will want to upgrade.

Therefore, my advice is to go ahead with your intentions but accept that you will never progress (much) without better gear and so you must be prepared to see your first outlay as entirely experimental and not depressing that you did not splash out at first.

Roger in France.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:48:23 pm »

Barry,

I have used one of those badger brushes with good results. The trick is, lots of light coats, and give time for the can of air to warm up again, (it gets cold as the air is used up due to expansion).

You will probably need a couple of tins of air, but its good for finding out if you want to invest in a more expensive set up.

Buy, experiment and you will be surprised, as long as you dont expect to paint anything other than largish areas with a cheapo brush.

Make sure you use the right thinners in the right proportions!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 07:26:12 pm »

Hi Barry.

I started with a cheap airbrush and used a car tyre for the air supply. When the pressure dropped I had to inflate the tyre again.  (manual labour !!)

Needless to say this method didn't run for long and I went the compressor route.

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:40:35 pm »

Go for the Bager 200 Airbrush well worth a bit extra and wont break the bank 1/16th to 2ins pattern either go The spare tyre route of buy a cheap 6tr compressor you wont regret it

Stavros

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:03:27 am »

Thanks guys,

I will let you know what the shopping trip reveals, but over here beggars can't be choosers....

nige2307

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »

I am assuming you bought the airbrush and have had experience with it.
what was your findings and can you follow up the post .
was a few yr ago but ......
if ya dont mind that is!!
  cheers

sailorboy61

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:24:48 pm »

"Cheap" airbrushes used to come in 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2 inches... but now is 12, 25, 40, 50mm etc haha %%

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:04 pm »

Nige,

My shopping trip actually revealed a good supply of car paint sprays, so I did not bother buying an airbrush. I am more than happy with the results I got with the tins.. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.