Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member with Kompact motor set up Qs  (Read 3781 times)

bobgrimward

New member with Kompact motor set up Qs
« on: January 15, 2011, 01:26:19 pm »

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and indeed to the hobby. Having build three plank on frame Billings boats I have decided to attempt a radio controlled model.
Although I have not attempted one before I went out and purchased a Robbe Duesseldorf Fire boat and fitting kit. I am going to power it with two Robbe navy kompakt motors ( all ready purchased) and I am waiting for the delivery of a four channel radio kit.
I would like to draw on your collective experiences if you could tell me what size battery I will need to power this project? I still need to get a speed controller would you have any recommendations?
I would also like to know if I can drive both motors from one battery and one speed controller?
Thanks in advance for your input.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:25:56 pm »

Hi Bob

Welcome aboard  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proflooney

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »

welcome aboard

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:13:36 pm »

Hi all,

I would like to draw on your collective experiences if you could tell me what size battery I will need to power this project? I still need to get a speed controller would you have any recommendations?
I would also like to know if I can drive both motors from one battery and one speed controller?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Welcome Bob. You've come to the right place.  Whilst I may not be able to thoroughly guide you, here a  few pointers.

You might like to try a sealed lead acid 12 volt battery around 7 amp hour. This will provide sufficient power and added ballast to your boat.

The motors are best supplied with a separate speed controller for each via separate fuses rated just below the maximum current rating.  With regards to these controllers then there are several makes on the market and it's a question of costs as they all do a similar job.

Hope this helps

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: New member with Kompact motor set up Qs
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 01:47:57 am »

***topic name modified***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 05:43:18 am »

HAi friend..using a high power motor on our craft is a straight foreward way o make a craft...but you will get only a little ime in running as he motor drops a high amps from battery...so you can search for a good moor with less current consumption for you...for an example, you can simply find some fans that used in cars , busses, tractors like..it will be like as an usual table fan, but will be smaller in diameter...almost 8 to 9 inches ...so we can find a motor on it, usually based in 12 volts, but drops merely less than a 1 Amps, but still , it will be immensely powerful..by using a gear for it you can simply make any crafts for you..some good quality motor must be equipped with goldferrite brushes, and so you can simply FIX IT AND FORGET IT...for ever...all we know a prop kept in air will rotate easier because of the low resistance of air..but wen e notice the same setup under water , we can see its slowed down to a great extend..so, i found one thing from my research..if we use a gear box, for our setup, to reduce the speed of the prop under water, it will make a great torque for us..means , i told you, the prop losses its speed under water...and you can see a slow revs of the prop..while your motor eats more amps because of the direct load inflicted by the prop itself..so now we know it will need more torque than speed...so if we use a torquey gear box over a motor, the prop will rev easily, while the load to the motor still remains negligible..so our motor never heated up..and we will get hours of enjoyment with our craft...see one of my simple setups here...
Its a simple toy motor, reworked for 6 volts..and runs in 3.6 volts battery pack...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZgcNTzuopE

And this is actual running of the same finished craft...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z5pYu70PMc
Friend..we all must think further with our models...and after a certain level we will explore ourselves a lots...and we will have many yuuuummmmyyyy crafts with us....so as a begginner you have ample of opportunity to go...trial..error..a little..and you will be a great one...from my videos you can simply understand that how little power we need to pump up our craft in to a good life........ other craft running on toy motor and 3.6 volts..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKh6NGzlXJg

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:04:34 am »

Hi rathi....... "goldferrite brushes" %%

We must remember that raw carbon is a relatively poor conductor of electricity especially at low voltages and low potential....however by infusing bronze  powder in the [thermal+pressure] mix to produce many types of carbon brush results in the gold colour & markedly improved conductivity .... O0 .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

grayone

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:16:55 am »

Hi Bob I have also just got the Dusseldorf as a Christmas present and plan to start building her some time in the summer when I retire {-). Unless I am mistaken the Robbe Kompact motors are 6V.  The recommendation is for 6 x 6V 5Ahr batteries in parallel.  For a speed controller I have the ACTion P94 dual motor mixer in mind.  Using this I can mix throttel and rudder for better control (I hope).  On the ACTion web site there are some electrical diagrams for the Dusseldorf in various configurations one of which shows the Kompact motors.  I would try to post it here but our firewall blocks me.

Regards

Graham

grayone

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 07:18:15 am »

Err correction 2 x 6V 5Ahr :embarrassed:

ACTion

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:00:30 am »

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Robbe%20Dusseldorf%20-%20Graham%20Lee.pdf
P100 and P101 sound system with separate 12v battery is optional. Standard Robbe Navy Kompact motors will be fine - don't worry about the metallurgy of the bits inside them.
DM

rathikrishna

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:50:30 am »

Decoy..its sure...here we use this term to show the mentioned brush sets...thank you...and for the mixer..Friends..we can simply make an independant motor control in two way..using two servos for left and right, and two again, one for FWD,and REV, and second one for Left and Right..for that you only need 4 two way micro switches...i will post all diagrams by tomorrow..its far easier than we think...have a nice time...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.