Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to tell if its 6v or 12 volt rated motor ?  (Read 2128 times)

phillnjack

How to tell if its 6v or 12 volt rated motor ?
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:54:22 pm »

I have a decaperm motor but not sure what voltage it is.

I know its either 6volt, or 12 volt, and thats about it.

Im pretty sure when i used this motor a couple of times back during early 80's i ran it on 2 x 6 volt batteries
but i dont remember if they were connected in series giving 12 volts.

There is none of the old paper on the motor giving details etc, got damop and fell off years ago.

Ive just seen prices on these motors and realy cant believe how expensive they are.

so rather than throw it away, im thinking of using it in a 38 inch boat that i will use for rescue purposes.

I would like to use a 5amp 12 volt sealed lead acid battery with it.

i will probably use a old manual speed controller as well. 

any advice on this would be very helpfull.

phill

BigA

Re: How to tell if its 6v or 12 volt rated motor ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:41:38 am »

The 12V units appear to draw less current at maximum efficiency - 50% of the equivalent 6V unit. Perhaps if you measure the current draw with an ammeter at 6V - that'll give you an indication - if it's on the low side (eg <5A) it could be a 12V unit. Should also give you an idea of what speed controller rating to use.

A.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:26:14 am »

I would hunt down a spec sheet - there must be a .pdf somewhere on the net - and do some testing and measuring.  When the results fit, thats what you have.
Consider using a modern ESC - the lack of moving parts makes them much more reliable and they do have much greater efficiency which is good for longer run times.  They are also much less picky about what combination of battery and motor they will control with.  Having spent much of my working life polishing and tweaking contacts and wipers to keep things working, I am a firm believer in the benefits of solid state.  A rescue boat with uncertain control can be a bigger liability that the thing its trying to rescue.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

phillnjack

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:43:26 am »

2 good posts givng me information.

Thanks guys.

phill

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:37:28 pm »

phill

The only difference will be the diameter of the winding wire, and this will show up well by measuringt the resistance.

Soooooo - all you need is one of the preternaturally helpful Mayhem readers with a Decaperm of either type and a DVM who can tell you what the resistance of his (or hers :} is).

Alternatively hitch it to 12V and see what happens.  If you have the low voltage version it will really whistle round at 12v.  No damage will be done if there is no load
andrew

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:00:17 am »

Thank you all..for a great discussion...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.