Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor and Propellor setup survey - can you help?  (Read 1869 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Motor and Propellor setup survey - can you help?
« on: November 18, 2010, 10:53:05 am »

Martin has very kindly allowed me space for this project which I hope will be useful to many Mayhemers.

MyHobbyStore have commissioned another Model Boats Special Issue for next year and this one will be a combination of recycled plan features going back to the 1980s plus a series of articles on what might be termed ‘Model Boating Basics’ which will be aimed at giving people advice on the issues which come up again and again on internet forums from new or less experienced modellers.

I’d like one of the articles to be about Choosing Motors and Props as this is something which a lot of people find difficult. There is no magic solution to this and any ‘scientific’ based method involving calculations could be a turn off, people basically just want to know what will work in their boat. So the idea would be to give some general advice on things to take into consideration supplemented with a series of ‘benchmark’ setups for actual typical boats drawn from practical experience. If your boat is very similar in its characteristics to one of these benchmark model setups then you can be reasonably sure it will work for you too. If it is somewhere between two benchmarks then at least you will have bracketed the range of possible options.

So I am inviting Members to use this topic to post details of their boats where they have a good working motor/prop/battery setup. If possible, also post photos of the model in action and of the interior layout as some of these could be published in the magazine. If you would prefer to PM me with details of your boat, that is OK too.

Assuming that I get a good response, it will be summarised both on Mayhem and in the magazine for the benefit of all.

The list of parameters that I have identified is as follows. We need all of them to do an effective job.

Boat Name
Type:  ie. tug, destroyer, cabin cruiser etc.
If a Kit – which kit?
Length (mm)
Beam (mm)
Draught (mm)
Weight (Kg)
Number of propellors
Motor(s) used. (specific rather than generic i.e. Not just ‘540’ but ‘Dean’s Kondor’ for example so we know exactly which motor is being referred to.)
Propeller type and description: i.e. 2 blade/3 blade/4blade etc. conventional or racing
Propeller diameter.
If geared drive what is the reduction ratio and are gears or belts used?
Battery type and capacity.
Approximate average running time obtained.

Please don’t use this topic to ask questions, it is intended for gathering information only!

I look forward to lots of responses!

Colin

jaywayne75

Re: Motor and Propellor setup survey - can you help?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:45:48 pm »

Boat Name  ADY GIL

Type:  ie. tug, destroyer, cabin cruiser etc. WAVE PEIRCING TRIMARAN

If a Kit – which kit? VANCO EATHRACE
Length (mm) 920

Beam 470

Draught 21

Weight (Kg) 6.3

Number of propellors 2

Motor(s) used. (specific rather than generic i.e. Not just ‘540’ but ‘Dean’s Kondor’ for example so we know exactly which motor is being referred to.) GRAUPNER SPEED 600 9.6
Propeller type and description: i.e. 2 blade/3 blade/4blade etc. conventional or racing 4 BLADE CLEAVER

Propeller diameter. 40MM
If geared drive what is the reduction ratio and are gears or belts used? DIRECT DRIVE

Battery type and capacity. SEALED TYPE 3.2AH
Approximate average running time obtained. 20MIN

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:07:26 am »

Thanks Jay. I have also put a request on the Model Boats website where the subject has attracted quite a bit of interest and data already. It would be nice to see some input from Mayem as the more information we have, the more useful it will be.

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:51 pm »

Well, not much interest on Mayhem but quite a bit more on the Model Boats website!

In order to get a few more benchmark setups I am offering the prize of an Ektronix 2 channel 2.4 Gigahertz TX/RX combo if we can get above 25 posts.
See http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=45505&p=1 for details (2nd page).

Entries will have to be made on the Model Boats site, I cannot include those posted on Mayhem unless they are reposted on the MB site. Why not have a go - it might be you!

Colin

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.