Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical Guru's..  (Read 1561 times)

More Coffee

Electrical Guru's..
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:46:58 pm »

I have a 4.8 v reciver pack..about 800mah//Or I could use a pacK that carries 4 AA batteries each cell rated at 2600mah

I was wanting to use a universal PCB to mount some simple circut or IC that would give me an output of 3-3.5 V ..so I could just solder the wires from the leds to it ..mount and be done..just plug in the battery ..vs trying to make another harness and have a pile of rersistors to use with 7.2 volt
My leds are rated at 3.1-3.8 v..

With a small IC or something I could just run them direct and do away with the resistors ...right?

knoby

Re: Electrical Guru's..
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:31:39 pm »

You could use a LM317 regulator, have a look at the link & it shows a simple circuit

http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/LM317/

R2 resistor needs to be around 370 ohms.
cheers Glenn

More Coffee

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:49:39 pm »

Thanks ...Im looking into it ..believe have the lil'bits i need

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:06:53 am »

LEDs will still need current limiting, they will still try to regulate the output voltage from whatever is supplying them down to their forward voltage at whatever current the supply can give.  If this is less than that required to destroy the LED, it survives, if more, it doesn't.  Those LED torches and keyrings do rely on the internal resistance of the battery keeping things in check.  And, of course, there are some LEDs with built-in resistors (and occasionally active current limiting circuits) to allow them to be used on a range of voltages without wiring extra resistors in series.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

More Coffee

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:53:15 am »

Geez ... no easy way around this ..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.