Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats in a name?  (Read 4642 times)

bigfella

Whats in a name?
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:55:45 am »

Hi All

I am unsure if this subject has come up before but here goes. Some on the forum, like myself. have a nickname as their user name. I was wondering how everyone came about that name. Some are obvious and some are not. I will start it off. :-)) :-)) :-))

Bigfella: I was in a band about 20 years ago and I played guitar, there was another David in the band who also played guitar. the drummer in the band would call out David on stage and we would both reply so he decided to call me Bigfella. I am larger then most and the other David was rather short and calling him Littlefella on stage would not sound so good. It stuck and here I am. Whats your story? :} :}

Regards David

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Whats in a name?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:16:34 am »

ON CB radio I used to call myself Speedbird... after the BOAC insignia...I had to draw it geometrically correct for a TD test, ( TD, Technical Drawing was what we did for technical studies in the olden days kids!)

.... can't remember how I got my current Forum nickname....

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:36 am »

My main model is of HMS Invincible,  pennant number RO5 ...arrow5. :}
..well can you land on this?

bigfella

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:31:25 am »

I remember BOAC what a logo I was always fascinated by it. We emigrated to Australia on A BOAC 707 in 1970.

Regards David

bigfella

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:32:33 am »

My main model is of HMS Invincible,  pennant number RO5 ...arrow5. :}

Nice one RO=Arrow

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:51:41 am »

Cant think why I chose mine........ :}
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:34:01 am »

I remember BOAC what a logo I was always fascinated by it. We emigrated to Australia on A BOAC 707 in 1970.

Regards David

We flew back and forth to the far east on BOAC - VC10's and 707's - I even have the BOAC junior jet club logbook somewhere, fully filled out and with extra pages added.

Mine comes from the series on TV 'Kung Fu',  I was at college when it was on and being of mixed blood as David Carradine was - was duly christened that. I also started racing model cars and Yup - my first one was a Tamiya Grasshopper...so it seemed apt for a forum name.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:57:43 am »

I'm into old machinery, old cars, old tractors, anything steam.............hence old iron. Therefore my nickname.

John

bigfella

Re: What does your nick name mean
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:05:24 am »

Hi All

thought I would see if any others want to reveal what their nick name is all about.

chingdevil

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 10:12:00 am »

The first part comes from where I live, Chingford but I can not remember why or how I got the devil bit on the end.

Brian

The long Build

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 01:37:08 pm »

Not sure about mine either  :}

gwa84

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 01:52:10 pm »

gwa84 is 2 things really one ime ginger and can give my brothers some stick which lead to the nickname gwa meaning ginger with attitude and 84 my birth year as most forums wont let you have a three caricter login name  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 05:09:40 pm »

I even have the BOAC junior jet club logbook somewhere, fully filled out and with extra pages added.

Show Off! I think I have about 2 entries in mine.... and i actually came across it the other day!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 05:47:23 pm »

Well mine is pretty simple............... I used to go by the moniker of Mustang Mark because, well I used to own a 1967 Mustang 289 Coupe. I then sold the car and became NO Mustang Mark......

I am also known as Tango on a couple of other forums and that came from a couple of biker mates of mine. I ride a bright orange motorbike and have a bit of a reputation for going quick and my mates would say whenever I overtook someone "you know when you have been Tango'd"  and the joke sort of stuck!!!!!

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 06:53:41 pm »

Show Off! I think I have about 2 entries in mine.... and i actually came across it the other day!

Nowt to do with me....it was me da'  He worked abroad for most of my childhood in Malaysia and then Hong Kong. With regular leave back to the UK to visit my English relatives and visiting my mum's Chinese family in and around Malaysia, we did an awful lot of flying....not all of it long-haul, from where we lived in Malaysia to Kuala Lumpur was only around 110 miles - but in those days that meant three hours by car or 35 minutes by Fokker F27 Friendship - so we usually flew, about once a month, return flight just for shopping trips.

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 07:16:56 pm »

I have 2 books , 1 BOAC and the Other British Airways..  :-)) 

The BOAC 1 has 2 entries when I was only 2 yrs old

BA 1 last used 1995  SWMBO will not let me take it with us as she is embarrased, But I have a the very first Aircraft when Air 2000 was formed , Very nice 757's they were....

Larry R.

Deep Diver

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 07:39:01 pm »

Mine comes from when I started Diving, it then went onto the C.B day's, I also used it for my Company name when I was Hull cleaning, and as I mostly model Sub's.
So when I joined a boat forum I used Deep from the sub side and Diver from the Diving.     

Fred

scoop

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 08:01:39 pm »

I got the nickname Scoop when I started my monthly column in Model Boats mag (BMPRS Offshore racing) a few moons back :-))

I also have another nickname at work  O0 ' Beaker ' as in Dr Bunsen's lab assistant on the Muppet Show, being an industrial chemist by trade I can see the connection...... thing is I don't have ginger hair, nor do I have an expression that looks like I've just sat on something sharp  {-) {-) {-)

Regards
Scoop (aka Beaker) (aka Stewart)

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 09:13:11 pm »

Corposant is a Portuguese term for an electrical discharge from the masthead - i.e. St. Elmo's Fire.

It means literally "Holy body" - presumably an angel.

It must be said that Mrs Corposant does not share this view.

Mike

davidm1945

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 09:17:14 pm »

Three guesses.... %)

Dave.

Roadrunner

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 11:08:13 pm »

Mine was a work nickname given to me because i used to run around so much! beep beep!  :-))

triumphjon

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 11:33:21 pm »

mine is due to my choice of motoring heritage , my first car being a herald 13/60 estate , for the last twenty odd years ive normally owned at least one of the marque , now its an early mk2 2500 tc saloon (1974 )  the cars actually four years younger than i am !

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 09:34:26 am »

I have three of the above on the stocks.One I have been annoying the Display Team members with which I have been designing since 2005 ( and have not started building yet ), one I came up with three weeks ago, and an Engel model that has been nearing completion for the last three years, but remains "Unbuilt" at this time...The other option was unprintable :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

TomTheKraut

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 11:47:06 am »

It's pretty obvious in my case, being a citizen of the Fatherland  ;)

Received this nick over a decade in the past when I was living in the Midlands for four years, together with the honorary addition "KWASOH" (Kraut With A Sense Of Humour) thanks to the then very active newsgroup UKRM members with whom I used to go "for a bimble" on Sundays.

bigfella

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 02:51:50 am »

mine is due to my choice of motoring heritage , my first car being a herald 13/60 estate , for the last twenty odd years ive normally owned at least one of the marque , now its an early mk2 2500 tc saloon (1974 )  the cars actually four years younger than i am !
We had a Red Triumph Herald convertable when we lived in Malta in the 60s. One thing I remember it could not handle hills with Mum and Dad in front and us 4 kids in the back. Dad had to make two trips up this certain hill on the way to the beach. Oh happy days.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.