Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi I'm New Here  (Read 2240 times)

grayone

Hi I'm New Here
« on: January 07, 2011, 07:46:09 am »

Hi Folks

As I am shortly planning to retire I decided to get back into model building and in particular boats.  I have been playing with helicopters for some time now but it is not the same.  I built my last model boats around 40 years ago and if I remember right they were a Keelcraft kits of the torpedo boat and the RAF crash tender.  Both now long gone.  What came to mind with the mention of the passing of Vic Smeed in a post below was that my first book on model boats was by him and I still remember the cover showing him with a tripod mounted transmitter.  I can also remember my first radio which was single channel and the size of a brick with a 7' 6" aerial and a (Grupner?) Kinomatice mechanical servo.

Anyway enough of that moving forward we are now the proud owner of a Robbe Dusseldorf kit which we plan to stuff as much working stuff into it as I can convince my 9 channel radio to control.  I also bought a Thunder Tiger Kingfisher boat to go to the pond with my 5 year old grandson.

Grayone (AKA Graham)

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hi I'm New Here
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:47:35 am »

Hello Graham. Welcome Both your models are well chosen As you say the Dusselldorf does have a lot of options which can work oui
to be expensive.Only problem that ive had with my Thunder Tiger was the motor to prop connecter easy to change though.Wish you well . John   

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 12:52:14 pm »

Hi Grayone, welcome back to the hobby again.  I started with a kinematic servo, very clever bit of mechanics.

The RC gear is so cheap in comparison though (for model boats) there is no need for complex mechanics.

You may have to ditch your RC helicopter radio in favour of the 40 Mhtz. or maybe you are on 2.4 Ghtz already?
Otherwise choose carefully and you should be re-using your servos.

regards Roy.

grayone

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:51:40 pm »

Oh I am well and truly a 2.4 fan I have a Spektrum 6i in the Kingfisher (and a cat I got for my 60th that has yet to see water) and the JR 9 is also a 2.4.   :-))

The fireboat is a long term project and I will use my rather out of date electrical engineering skills to some how get it fully rigged - just bought 10 micro switches as a starting point  {-)

Grahjam

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »

... I built my last model boats around 40 years ago and if I remember right they were a Keelcraft kits of the torpedo boat and the RAF crash tender.  Both now long gone.....

Oh no, they're not...

If you're talking about Aerokits (as I suspect you are) then Jotika and Lesro are both doing Aerokits, and there is a site devoted to them:  http://modelfireboats.com/

If you remember KK Eezebilts, there's always my site: http://modelboats.hobby-site.com .....

grayone

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:26:15 am »

Да yes you are right dodgy it was Aerokits  :embarrassed: and I still have the rather large electric motor that originally went into the crash tender until I swapped it for one of the Marx ones.  Must take a pic of that motor when I get back home as it is a real solid bit of old fashioned engineering.

Graham

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 12:20:17 pm »

Да yes you are right dodgy it was Aerokits  :embarrassed: and I still have the rather large electric motor that originally went into the crash tender until I swapped it for one of the Marx ones.  Must take a pic of that motor when I get back home as it is a real solid bit of old fashioned engineering.

Graham

(Oh, I'm enjoying this!)  -  It was probably a Taycol - see http://Taycol.hobby-site.com/ ..... :D %% {-) O0

grayone

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

Да Да a Supermarine by the look of the pics although for reasons I don't remember I machined the shaft down a bit to fit an available coupling.  I also had the diesel engine from the torpedo boat on the shelf until last year until a friend who is into engineering decided to nick it and try to do an overhaul.

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.