Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: new petrol powered deep v mono scratch build!!  (Read 37679 times)

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
Re: new petrol powered deep v mono scratch build!!
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2007, 07:36:01 pm »

Mart,

Yes it does, or at least thats what i am told. I joined Brentwood as well but did not need insurance as i already have it via OMRA. If in doubt send them an email or give the secretary a ring. Nice bloke, helped me.

Regards

Simon ???
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2007, 09:46:10 am »

i think you will find omra only includes race boats during races not a guy using his boat for fun on a park lake!!.
any way my son crashed my boat yesterday at 25 mph into a concrete wall  :o.heres a few pics of the damage and the repair job.surprisingly little damage considering,good job these woodys are strong i doubt a polyester glass hull would have come off in such good shape lol  ;D.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2007, 09:11:39 pm »

Ouch, gutted? ???

A guy racing yesterday hammered his boat, gaffer taped it and went back out, sunk it and tried again. Must be bloody mad, his was all split down the front end. >:(

See how it looks at the next event? ???

Well i managed to get a win in my heat and a second in the class. Pretty impressed as it was only my second race. ;D

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2007, 10:16:24 pm »

Do not fear Marty is here shes fixed  ;D
Back to what you were saying some guys are mad lol not me i love my boats too much,too much time and effort put into building them.Well done on your second place you should be proud of yourself thats a great achievement mate.Heres a cpl of pics of the repair can you see the join  :o  ;D  ;).

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2007, 07:23:50 am »

Sweet Mart, cant see the join.

I was going to stick a bit of rubber on the front of mine for racing! More damage seems to occur when the boats get recovered and launched back towards the bank, or concerete sides!

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2007, 11:27:05 am »

I was going to stick a bit of rubber on the front of mine for racing! More damage seems to occur when the boats get recovered and launched back towards the bank, or concerete sides!

Simon
yea i had rubber on the nose i made it from an old windscreen wiper works good i just trimmed one face so it was flat ,just doesnt help at 25 mph or more  :o.you can buy rubber from dave at prestwich its self adhesive i think .

ids987

« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2007, 12:21:38 pm »

Simon

You had the right idea on Sunday Simon - no stops = no intervention from the rescue crew.
I enjoyed watching your run from the rescue boat though.
Well done that man !

Ian

ids987

« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2007, 12:44:04 pm »

i think you will find omra only includes race boats during races not a guy using his boat for fun on a park lake!!.
any way my son crashed my boat yesterday at 25 mph into a concrete wall  :o.heres a few pics of the damage and the repair job.surprisingly little damage considering,good job these woodys are strong i doubt a polyester glass hull would have come off in such good shape lol  ;D.

Martin,

OMRA insurance covers general usage as well. When I joined OMRA, I was already a member of MPBA - and insured that way - through my local club (Stevenage - insurance required). When I joined OMRA, I was told I didn't need MPBA insurance as well, but I still checked it out with OMRA. We have a mix of OMRA and MPBA now. When I checked it out, the OMRA insurance also included other forms of RC models, but they advised additional insurance for aircraft - due to the limit of liability. This was a couple of years ago, but I doubt that it has changed. Any doubts / interest, the treasurer is the man who looks after insurance and the like. Contacts are on the OMRA website, or I can PM to you if you like ?

Ian

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2007, 01:57:48 pm »

from what i understand it only covers you for public liability? so im not covered if i hit another boat or damage my own so i see no reason to get it.my boats not likely to jump out of the water and hit anyone it seems a waste of money to me to be honest.how much does it cost to join omra ? mpba is £22 including a one of joining fee of £2.i can understand having it for a plane as it could crash and hurt someone or damage property,i doubt that is ever going to happen with a boat .theres no swimming or row boats on the lake i use.what other forms of rc does it cover?.

ids987

« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2007, 03:38:59 pm »

from what i understand it only covers you for public liability? so im not covered if i hit another boat or damage my own so i see no reason to get it.my boats not likely to jump out of the water and hit anyone it seems a waste of money to me to be honest.how much does it cost to join omra ? mpba is £22 including a one of joining fee of £2.i can understand having it for a plane as it could crash and hurt someone or damage property,i doubt that is ever going to happen with a boat .theres no swimming or row boats on the lake i use.what other forms of rc does it cover?.
Martin,

OMRA membership is £22 per year. I think it covers all kinds of R/C models, but don't take my word for it, and I'm not trying to sell it....
Insurance is just for public / third party liability. Most bodies of water which allow running of boats require insurance. I guess there's a chance of swimmers, dinghys, lilos, divers, anywhere there's water. It's also a bit of an eye opener to see how far I/C boats can travel (and at what speed), when they come out of the water - even across the ground. Obviously I wouldn't try to guess the risks at your running ground, as I don't know it......

Ian

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2007, 05:41:50 pm »

thanks for that mate it doesnt give any info about it on the omra site thats why im reluctant to join just for the sake of joining!!.i want to be sure it covers me anywhere not just on recognised waters,otherwise i might as well get insurance from my own insurance company.im not a lawyer,youd think both bodys would give more info on what your covered for and where rather than just leave it to your imagination.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2007, 07:01:07 pm »

Hi Mart,

I would concur with Ian, insurance on high speed boats is a must. Your boat handling skills might be good but accidents do happen, if there was a failure of any type with the receiver, transmitter, boat, you took ill, fell over etc. I hit a buoy with mine and it travelled some 20 feet before stopping. Even the experts loose it (not me obviously). Water is not controlable. I saw 1 go over a bank on Sunday into the road and when testing at Brentwood twice they ended up on the banks.

There is a limited liability on damage to property etc. Personal liability insurance is running at the £5,000,000 to £10,000,000. We live in an age of ambulance chasers and litigation. I would not want to be the one to test the case, and or bring the hobby into disrepute or even get them band by the green welly brigade! I think loss of a finger is running at about 10k at the moment. It only takes a kid sticking his hand in?

Contact the OMRA secretary for clarification, its a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2007, 11:07:06 pm »

not much chance of my boat jumping out of the lake it has concret sides and theyre vertical, i do see your point though.by the way im running a clutch for that very reason you mentioned   ;)im also running a failsafe and all my battery leads are secured with tape so no chance of loss of power to the servos but ill look into it .

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2007, 07:29:34 pm »

heres the lates video of my boat running,had a few problems with blanket weed but apart from that shes running well.had a problem with the engine cutting out after 20 mins running ,cant be dirt as i have a fuel filter fitted .any ideas most welcome  ;).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DkwfMavcqQ

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2007, 10:41:28 am »

"Cut out", does it stop and stay stopped or will it start right up again?
When you bring it in after it has stopped is there fuel in the fuel line/filter?
Have you checked that air can get into the tank as the fuel is used up? (Vent still working)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2007, 02:43:05 pm »

"Cut out", does it stop and stay stopped or will it start right up again?
When you bring it in after it has stopped is there fuel in the fuel line/filter?
Have you checked that air can get into the tank as the fuel is used up? (Vent still working)
Ian thanks for that i believe it was the vent in the fuel cap it was bunged up so ive opened it up again i knew it was something simple why didnt i think of that dohh  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.