Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: new petrol powered deep v mono scratch build!!  (Read 37677 times)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: new petrol powered deep v mono scratch build!!
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2007, 10:33:02 am »

Martin, if you spent as much time building as you did on the forums you'd be finished by now  ;D ;D :-*

As an expat in Sweden what am I? European, pseudo-Scandinavian or just an Expat!

If Tony is so popular how the h*** did he get back in, all I hear from the UK is disgruntlement (is that a word?).

Back to boats, less talk, more action.............lets get this thing on the water ;D

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2007, 04:33:05 pm »

thanks for the kind offer Glenn ill send you a pm i have cut the flex to length and installed the tube for it i still need to fasten it in ,i made a bracket to hold it near the engine end and a larger diam tube at the transome for it to slide into which will get glassed in.i will add a cpl  thrust washers before i connect it all up one where the tube exits and the ferrule is and one next to the strut and another wher the drive dog runs against the strut.Ian i dont think im doing too bad with this build 2 weeks in now unlike others i could mention who have been at it for a year now.i still need some servos for the boat yet as i fried a cpl in a sail boat that i was gonna use in this .by the way i know in the pic the tube is short of the ferrule but i havent fastened the tube in yet and it will meet perfectly so there lol.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2007, 05:54:55 pm »

No problem. Just the cable to be soldered into the brass tapered ferrule, keep it shy of the grub screws in the picture right?

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2007, 07:04:43 pm »

No problem. Just the cable to be soldered into the brass tapered ferrule, keep it shy of the grub screws in the picture right?

Glenn
yep you got it mate thanks for this its much appreciated!!.hows she looking now?.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2007, 08:47:50 pm »

Just busting your b***s  ;D
That's close enough, you're not going to get any whip in that small space. One comment, I would suggest a second piece of angle on the rudder so that you support it on both sides (as you have done the strut).

omra85

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2007, 09:38:14 pm »

Coming along well Martin, good strong looking job.  I agree with Ian, put another angle on the rudder - it's only as strong as the weakest point, which is the bend at the transom.  Very neat :) Are you using 1/4 or 3/16 flexis?
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2007, 10:03:56 pm »

Thanks guys i was intending to put another angle on the rudder got a bit sidetracked thanks for the heads up.Im using 1/4 flex cable and stub shaft mate ,Glenn has kindly offered to solder the ferrule onto the flex for me also.Soldering isnt one of my strong points so thats good!!,hopefully i can do the radio box and attatch the deck over the next cpl of days then i can prepare her for paint.I cant beleive how fast this things coming together im quite pleased with it so far. ;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2007, 07:46:05 pm »

hi guys ive test fitted the deck on my boat and ive been playing arround with a screen have alook and see what you think.i also added a scoop for the deck to help with forced air to help cool the motor.the screen will need to be cut in half so i can get a bend or at least angle it to make a slight v shape but you get the idea what it will look like when shes done.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2007, 07:58:09 pm »

Where'd that scoop come from please Martin?

I need something to cover my spark plug and cap and stop scaring the two little drivers that have to sit next to it. An air scoop may be perfect.
Since fitting the new mounts the motor is higher now and the engine cover does not fit properly.

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2007, 09:51:09 pm »

its my secret!!!! ;D ....................... haha just kidding right here goes and dont laugh!!,my wife works as a retail manager for a large clothes outlet well shes the manager.when unloading the car after shed been shopping i noticed these strange objects in the boot .on asking she told me they were off a display for ladys boots,yup they go in them to make em stand up haha.i had a brainwave no dont laugh i do have the odd one or two now and again and i came up with this idea.they are plastic and i cut them to shape with my modeling knife.ill see if i can get some more and if so ill cut you a cpl and post em to yaa mate.did you get that flex and ferrule yet?.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2007, 01:39:16 am »

Cheers Martin. No, nothing arrived in post today apart from some bills, I can post them to you for paymeny if you want. Postie comes about 11 so by lunch tomorrow should have it with luck. Will drop you a line tomorrwo let you know either way.

If it comes we will have it back in the post within an hour or so.

G

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2007, 09:02:31 am »

err you can keep yer bills mate thanks for the err offer  ::),you should have it today hopefully,hows the boat looking im undecided on the shape of the screen yet just playing with bits of scrap till i find a shape i like.ill post the scoop to you tomorrow when i get into town,i have one spare somewhere.it will need some trimming to make it fit but its arround 6" long and 1 1/2" high so theres a bit to play with.you could even use it as a mould to make a glass fibre one if you prefer but its pretty strong as it is.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2007, 10:03:01 am »

Hi guys re did the screen and ive epoxied the deck on and coaated the hull and deck again hers a pic of her prior to epoxy coating the deck ,notice the new screen shape  i just trial fitted it for the pics so its not fixed on yet.more pics to come soon just waiting for things to dry before i can do any more.all hardware is mounted just need to shorten a few bolts before i tighten everything down and i need to cut another bracket for the other side of the rudder standoff.I also left the deck over hanging by 1/4" at the transome and tapering off to nothing about 1/3 from the stem then filled the over hang and using my finger made a concave to form a spray rail so any water rising up the sides is despersed away from the boat ,should help keep things dryer!!.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2007, 02:37:10 pm »

Hi guys after a mini disaster with paint(found out paint i used wasnt fule proof)
i went out and bought some tetrosyl spray cans i sanded my old opaint off and sprayed the hull with filler primer in yellow.i gave her 5 coats of this then after a light sand i applied 3 coats of gloss yellow .here are some pics of her from priming to finnished gloss!!.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2007, 02:45:19 pm »

hers the finished paint job i hope you guys like it i absolutely love it  ;D!!

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2007, 03:06:42 pm »

Hi Mart,

Should see that coming alright, if i make it up to Windy this year, give you a race!

When are the stickers coming

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2007, 05:10:13 pm »

Definitely yellow Martin  :o ;D

omra85

« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2007, 07:01:47 pm »

The great thing about painting your own boat is that the touch-up is always handy ;D
That's why mine are white (gelcoat filler is only available in one colour) ;D ;D

All together now - "Day-oh, de Day-oh, daylight come an' me wanna go home"  You're too young Mart ??? ??? ;D

Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2007, 07:29:12 pm »

The great thing about painting your own boat is that the touch-up is always handy ;D
That's why mine are white (gelcoat filler is only available in one colour) ;D ;D

All together now - "Day-oh, de Day-oh, daylight come an' me wanna go home"  You're too young Mart ??? ??? ;D

Danny

is 42 too young hehe actually the yellow is quite dark its more like mustard than yellow but it looks goodin the sunlight,as for the stickers im not sure im still deciding on colours was thinking of red flame with orange outline  opinions considered  ;D.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2007, 05:19:55 pm »

hi guys managed to test her out this morning,the big lake was really rough 2 foot chop so i decided the small lake would be best to try her even that had 6" chop and it was really windy.she ran well got up on plane and ran straight and smooth despite the conditions.i need to get more throw on the rudder though as turns were wide and long.let me know what you guys think!!.
http://http://media.putfile.com/first-run-of-scratch-built-deep-v-mono

omra85

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2007, 08:02:28 pm »

Hi Mart
VERY tasty.  Looks as though it will 'stonk' when you can open it up.  VERY impressive.
So - when's your first race then ??? ??? ;D

The video was a bit wierd - 1 minute 10 secs of the boat, then a black screen with the 'Generation' soundtrack for 10 minutes ???
Am I doing something wrong (it took ages to download).

Anyway I bet your well chuffed with that boat!

Congratulations
Danny

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2007, 08:22:35 pm »

Mart,

Looking good, looks like we both had success today! Weather was allot better down hear, we were in t shirts.

Simon

;D ;D
Rubbin is Racin!

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2007, 09:41:40 pm »

The video was a bit wierd - 1 minute 10 secs of the boat, then a black screen with the 'Generation' soundtrack for 10 minutes ???
Not just me then. Bigger lake and watch it go  ;D good job Martin.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2007, 10:58:03 pm »

guys im so sorry i checked the vid out and it turned out that song went on and on after the clip oops.well ive re edited the vid and its now on utube hope its better for yaa.bigger lake yes i agree but i didnt fancy the 2 ft chop that was coming over the sides of the lake lol im glad you like it guys if you spotted anything wrong feel free to let me know.apart from the two almost dead ducks that is lol. :o
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10_5s6Qh4Gc

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2007, 01:53:56 pm »

Hey - it works at last. It will be interesting to see it flat out!! ;D

Go on, race it!!

G
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.