Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: new petrol powered deep v mono scratch build!!  (Read 37782 times)

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
Re: new petrol powered deep v mono scratch build!!
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 01:47:02 pm »

Cheers Danny,

I found it all on the OMRA web site in the end. I may well get my self registered and have a go, it would probably only be a goer for me to get to Windermere and Burton though due geography. Need to find some drivers to stick onto the top of my boat!! And one to stick behind the remote control too!! Take it most of you guys are running 40meg FM?

Hey there Martin, you can try some kevlar tape for reinforcing the joints, its about 11/2 inches wide and strong as a strong thing that has been pumping iron.

Having trouble cutting it with scissors!! That should stop it disintegrating. Think Gary was just trying to wind you up - guess it worked.

Glenn

kayem

• Full Mayhemer
  • .....excellent!
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 01:53:56 pm »

Having trouble cutting it with scissors!!

Yes, you will find cutting Kevlar difficult. You either need some special shears (expensive), or you can improvise with scissors ground 'square', with no angle on the cutting edges. Kevlar isn't nice stuff to work with.
"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book; inside of a dog, it's very dark" Groucho Marx

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 04:25:28 pm »

Cheers Danny,

I found it all on the OMRA web site in the end. I may well get my self registered and have a go, it would probably only be a goer for me to get to Windermere and Burton though due geography. Need to find some drivers to stick onto the top of my boat!! And one to stick behind the remote control too!! Take it most of you guys are running 40meg FM?

Hey there Martin, you can try some kevlar tape for reinforcing the joints, its about 11/2 inches wide and strong as a strong thing that has been pumping iron.

Having trouble cutting it with scissors!! That should stop it disintegrating. Think Gary was just trying to wind you up - guess it worked.

Glenn

Glen i have rienforced all joints with glass cloth and this thing is strong!! mr Pope said he was joking but he came across as an ass!! if hed said it then made a joke fare enough but he only did that after several people told him off .anyway i dont care what he thinks or says so end of story,right back to my build ive put chines on and its epoxied now and ive made my own rudder from ali billet and some 3mm plate for the blade!!i also made the rear mount for the engine too see pics.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 04:58:51 pm »

:) Aye, it's getting there now - thinking of staying in tonight and glassing in the rails for my engine re-mount. Wish I'd never started now, it was working. Might even get the deck fitted again. See how it goes. I hate fibre glassing though.

Hey ho.

It should be together shortly - might even take up OMRA85 and have a plod around Windermere in September with it.
I guess I can always have a practice with it in the sea - like you I am only about 1/2 mile from having wet feet, although 'tother side of the country. Keep going Martin, it's getting there now.

I am grinding my wifes kitchen scissors square tonight too - so you may not here from me for a while - depends on:
1. How soon she finds out
2. How soon the hospital release me when she has finished working on me!

Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 07:28:51 pm »

Hi Glenn ill get those plans off to you no worries,one question i put my rudder blade to one side of the hinge point about 2mm do you think it will make any difference? someone said it might but i thought not.Where abouts you from then im from yorkshire orriginally .I might see you at windermere lol .

omra85

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 10:16:21 pm »

Hi Martin.
The 2mm should make no difference provided the rudder is vertical. If your not sure, post a pic.
I notice that you have a flat bottom :o on your hull.  Are you adding rails.  If not the boat will not lift easily.  This has the ADVANTAGE of adding stability but will also slow the boat due to increased surface area drag.  If you add rails, the hull lifts easier and becomes faster.  There are two ways to add rails, (normally using balsa strip of the wing trailing edge type) 1. step inwards which gives better lift but is more directional. Great on straights but difficult to control the turns, and 2. step outwards which gives less lift but better turns as it inhibits sliding - its also easier to mould when using grp.

Hope you're using epoxy with that Kevlar, it don't like polyester :D
A use woven glass tape, which I find is more than strong enough (but then I try to avoid other boats) ;D

Hi Glenn
Yes most run 40 meg with a few diehards on 27.  I've got a drawer full of little men, if you want some, PM me with your address and I'll stick a couple in the post - I paint a black bit on the top, call it a window, and now don't need little men ;D
Just to show I've had orange boats in the past (I'm better now) ::) here's a pic of me and Mrs 85 enjoying the clouds in Wales :D

I know Martin's from Blackpool, where are you Glenn?
Keep smiling.
Danny
PS  If either of you test in the sea, totally LATHER your boat with WD40, plus spray it through your water outlets into the head, pipe, header etc.  The salt makes a right PIG of ally, brass and copper :(

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 10:47:17 pm »

Cheers Danny, I am just outside Newcastle, place called Whitley Bay. North Sea coast. Have got epoxy resin for using on my Tornado FSRV boat, did not know the epoxy would stick OK to the GRP on my Miami. Will give it a go on a test piece and leave the rails to the morning, see what happens overnight.

I'm afraid that I too currently have an orange boat, although there are plans afoot to remedy that fairly quickly when the boats finished again.

And I got caught grinding her scissors. Good idea about painting the black bit, will have to see if I can get away with it.

Cheers Danny / Martin.

Later

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 08:41:57 am »

Hi Danny i will post a pic for you  one guy on rcu says it might make it hard to controll im not so convinced ,i understand it will not be turning the rudder evenly and in a bit of an arc but a cpl of mm surely wont make much difference.I could change it but that wont be easy but ill see what i can come up with.No i wasnt going to  be using rails on the bottom(strakes) this boat doesnt need them, i understand it can help keep things running straight but from what w3bby says his runs pretty well.I did think of adding one either side at the stern going about a 3rd the way along the hull maybe i could try that if i have enough of this traingular beading left.I used pine by the way if i add strakes should i put them halfway between the keel and the chines would that be a good place?.thanks for all the input mate.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2007, 10:04:16 am »

Hi Martin,

I think the idea of the rails from what Danny was saying was to make the boat quicker. Can only be a good thing.

G

omra85

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2007, 08:46:57 pm »

Hi Martin
Glenn is right - strakes (you learn a new word every day on here - and some of them are repeatable) ;D - are mainly for extra speed. Where they go varies but they are usually evenly spaced between the keel and chines. Most competition boats have them so they must be for something ;)

These are two types, the white runs from the front to a staggered 'V' at the back.  This gives more ' slide' in the corners whilst creating a sort of 'planing flat' at the back for more speed ::) ???
The red one has them from a staggered front start right to the transom (which is supposed to prevent diving into waves) ??? :D

If you look at the photos of some of the fast multi boats on sale eg
http://www.iansboats.co.uk/
and click boats, you will see the underneath of Ians Griffon :o

Go on - stick them on - you can always sand them off if you don't like them (especially if you've spent hours blending them in and painting them) ;D ;D

Danny

PS Ignore the grey 'modifications' to the red boat FOR NOW :D  I'll go into that when you're on the water!! ;D

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2007, 11:07:17 pm »

Nice Wedge Danny. How much weight you running port side to counter the prop when it's out of the water?

You should see the bottom of my Tornado - there's a strange shape - I will take a photo to show you, if I can work out how to post it here.

Glenn.

PS Danny, you best get the boats off the bed before Mrs. 85 gets home, there may be trouble ahead...

omra85

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2007, 11:20:45 pm »

Hi Glenn
The red one is my old 3 1/2, it had 120 grams (1 1/2 strips) level with the tank front.  The last Tornado I had (yes - i admit it - I used to be a multi racer :-[ ) used to have 240 grams AND I had to put my own front wedge in!  The mark 1's didn't have a front wedge :o
I said to Mrs 85 "get under the covers and hold the front up to catch the light". She gave my a right slap and stomped out ;D
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2007, 11:39:23 pm »

im undecided on the strakes as this hull handles very well without them ,its a scaled up version of the wildthing which is a nitro boat and it handles like on rails!!.

omra85

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2007, 02:30:41 pm »

Leave them off for now then Martin.  If it handles and goes as fast as you want, then all OK.  If not, remember
A hull is just for racing - not for life ;D
You can always add bits as you go along.  See my scruffy red hull!!
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 03:04:58 pm »

Hi Danny i will add two small strakes at the transome about 16" long i was thinking of putting them half way between the keel and the chines what do you think?.Im mounting my rudder as we speak it will be offset to the right ,one thing i was thinking is how far from the transome do you put yours is 150 mm from rudder to transome ok?. Also where the flex comes out of the hull how much flex should i leave exposed between the ferrule that joins it to the stub shaft and the hull ? do i need to run the tube out a little so theres not too much flex showing or not?.I think there will be about 1 1/2" or so of flex showing where im mounting my strut.Im putting the rudder and prop so they are just about level with each other give or take a few mm.

omra85

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 03:54:06 pm »

Hi Martin
>i will add two small strakes at the transome about 16" long i was thinking of putting them half way between the keel and the >chines what do you think?
It might make it faster - think you can handle it? ;D  (Should be fine - nothing TOO severe)

>Im mounting my rudder as we speak it will be offset to the right ,one thing i was thinking is how far from the transome do you >put yours is 150 mm from rudder to transome ok?
The further out from the transom everything is, the stiffer (and heavier) the supports have to be. You can't have accurate steering if the rudder is waving about like a palm in the breeze ;D
My transon to rudder pivot post is 43mm and offset about 50mm.
This is the plan for the 43" which I have followed fairly closely.  I would imagine that yours would be very similar.

>Also where the flex comes out of the hull how much flex should i leave exposed between the ferrule that joins it to the stub >shaft and the hull ? do i need to run the tube out a little so theres not too much flex showing or not?
The shaft tube should connect INTO the nose piece of the skeg.  There should be no flexi showing at this point!  The nose piece is about 15mm from the transom.  There is an argument that this distance should be greater and the tube fastened through the transom with silicon, to allow slight adjustment up or down of the skeg, but I have never found this necessary (provided your tube exits parallel with the keel and as low as possible)

>I think there will be about 1 1/2" or so of flex showing where im mounting my strut.
Any unsupported flexi will 'whip' and be out before you know it :'(  The brass/teflon shaft support tube should go from as near the flywheel as possible to as near to the prop drive dog as possible, in one piece.  You have to compromise at the back end as the stub shaft needs two lead plain bearings to keep straight. But the tube should go into the nosepiece.  See earlier photos.

>Im putting the rudder and prop so they are just about level with each other give or take a few mm.
That's where I've deviated from the Challenger plans as I feel they are better in line with each other. Anyway, the Aeromarine hardware I bought ended up like that and not like the plans ???

Time for some more photos from you, I think ;D

Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2007, 06:25:50 pm »

right ill move the rudder in abit ill cut the arm shorter it is stiff enough though its a solid peice of billet 8 mm thick by 24 mm deep.i cant put the tube into the strut as i have a ferrule that sits there to join the flex to stub i will make the tube exit the transome and about 2mm short of the ferrule as i read the flex tightens so you need a gap to allow for shrinkage!!.thanks for the help mate ill post more pics soon the cameras playing up.a mates making me a ferrule as we speak as the last one i bought was knackered the shaft hole was not straight it was 3 degrees offline just my luck.

omra85

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2007, 08:12:57 pm »

>solid peice of billet 8 mm thick by 24 mm deep

So you don't want it to last then!! - that would turn the QE2 ;D
I know, you want to practice drilling and filing on it :P

Danny

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2007, 08:45:47 pm »

Interesting drawing. You runnning a turn fin on the Vee hull Danny? Also, trim tabs - see you have four, just finished mounting two back on mine, gone for ones that are about 21/2" wide.

G

omra85

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2007, 09:06:41 pm »

Hi Glenn
Oh yes, a turn fin is essential on mine.  I tried running it with it lifted and it skittered all over the lake ;D
I only use one tab each side for fine adjustment, if I needed FOUR to set the running trim, I'd give up.
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2007, 09:34:28 pm »

>solid peice of billet 8 mm thick by 24 mm deep

So you don't want it to last then!! - that would turn the QE2 ;D
I know, you want to practice drilling and filing on it :P

Danny

yea well wait till you see the finnished boat you will wonder why you paid all that money for a glass boat and all that hardware lol!! ;D ill be taking orders whan im done hehe!! :D by the way im making trim tabs too theres no end to my talents lol.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2007, 11:31:10 am »

Hi Martin,

must be time for some more pictures of the updated progress?

Got my engine mount rails glassed in last night, all going well, until I got resin on the wifes dining table. Oops.

Next one is to refit the deck, I hate that job. Then just about done I think.

G

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2007, 01:10:40 pm »

hi just been redoing the engine mount at the rear so i can get the engine lower in the boat.ill take pics when i get time to sort this camera out.weighed the boat with the hardware on and engine in and it cam to 13 lb so shouldnt be too heavy when its finnished.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007, 02:36:41 pm »

Hi ive mounted the engine in the boat and all the hardware is mounted on the transome now all i need to do is put the stuffing tube in when it comes and cut and fit my flex.As you will see i need to shorten the standoffs a lot on the strut and the rudder ,once i get my tube and ferrule i will then decide how much to bring it all nearer the transome.im not much for guessing so ill wait till i can see how much room i need to allow for the ferrule to fit .Hows she looking guys?,the engine fits nice and low but i will need to cut the bulkhead where the clutch housing is so i can get to things and mount my stuffing tube holder !!.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2007, 03:50:03 pm »

Getting there. I have (hopefully) posted a couple of pictures to detaial for you the strakes and rudder on the Miami. Hope it hels you out.

G
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.