Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hydromite micro hydro  (Read 8301 times)

explorer750

Hydromite micro hydro
« on: January 08, 2011, 05:00:17 pm »

Hi,

I have finally got around to building this free plan from Rum runner Racing. The hull is all balsa that I had spare. What I would like to ask is the hardware to put on to the model as I have had no experience of surface drive. The plans say to make the hardware.

Here are some build pics so far. :-))

F1 madness

Re: Hydromite micro hydro
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 05:24:13 pm »

Hey bud nice build,how long is it.
Then i can advise and post some links for you,for hardware etc,also what motor you thinking of running,will you be running nimhs or lipos
Rgds F1

explorer750

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:04:45 pm »

It's 16.25" long. At the moment I am thinking of running a 480 race in it paired to a 2 cell lipo from my RC Heli. However this could change to brushless for more speed. :}

F1 madness

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 06:34:16 pm »

Ok i would recomend this set up,as it would be ideal for what you want,and comes everything including rudder.
http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_79&products_id=179
If you were to change the motor i would run 1 of these and get the cooling jacket aswell:
Motor
http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_114_118&products_id=1220
cooling jacket
http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_64&products_id=1196
These leopard motors are well worth the money,im changing mine on to them.
Hope his helps bud

explorer750

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:46:46 pm »

Just a few more questions:
Does this sort of set up requirer a high revving motor for the best performance?
What is the best way to waterproof it without making it too heavy?

Thanks

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:55:10 pm »

Have a look at the micro hydros they were built using these plans then made from glass,the motor i had in mine was similar to this setup in the link and it was very fast at over 40 mph on 3s lipo.I think that one Daz linked is a bit of overkill but i could be wrong,all i know is this little thing was fast enough as it was lol.
Mart
http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=97&products_id=765

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:18:19 pm »

Does this sort of set up requirer a high revving motor for the best performance?

Thanks
Old credit card and some slow set epoxy works well (30 min stuff),spread it on and scrape off exess do 2-3 very thin coats sanding a little between coats,then paint if required.
Mart

F1 madness

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 10:51:16 pm »

Thanks

Hiya bud,i surgested that motor because of the higher kv and to run on 2s lipo or nimhs this will give the performance i think your after,put this together with a 30mm prop and youll be onto a winner.
I use a deluxe EZE_KOTE sealer and iv never had any trouble with this just brush on 3-4 coats sanding it in between.
Rgds F1

F1 madness

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 10:53:55 pm »

Have a look at the micro hydros they were built using these plans then made from glass,the motor i had in mine was similar to this setup in the link and it was very fast at over 40 mph on 3s lipo.I think that one Daz linked is a bit of overkill but i could be wrong,all i know is this little thing was fast enough as it was lol.
Mart
http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=97&products_id=765

Hey bud,that 1 in the link you posted is for 3s lipo hence the lower kv motor,but above he stated 2s lipo that hes got for his helis,hence why i surgested what i did.
Rgds Daz

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:01:15 am »

No worries Daz like i say im not a leccy guy but i do know those little motors are ideal for that boat on 3s lipo 40+ mph easy with the right prop,offset the prop over to the right about 1/2" and rudder on left it will track straight as a die.Thats how they came setup from the States anyways and seemed to work well.

explorer750

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 05:50:28 pm »

The builds having a bit of a break at the moment as I have gone back to uni. Could I have you opinion on this set up.

Motor: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/black-mantis-bm3540-4000kv-inrunner-brushless-motor-p-403772.html

Dimension: 36.0X40mm
KV 4000
Voltage 9.6-14.4
Unload Current 4.2
IR 0.03
Shaft: 5X12.0(mm)
Weight: 182g

astec micro hardware

The only problem that I see is that the motor would be running under the recommended voltage range. Would that matter?

explorer750

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:09 am »

OK back on the build after a long break. Just about to start fitting out the electronics and wondered where the center of gravityshould be for this kind of boat?

scoop

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:59:50 am »

OK back on the build after a long break. Just about to start fitting out the electronics and wondered where the center of gravityshould be for this kind of boat?
C of G should be around 125mm from the transom.
Regards
Scoop

explorer750

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:56:52 am »

Just a quick update. Just waiting for me to choose a colour now.

I am thinking two tone silver and dark blue.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 09:12:11 am »

Looking to be a very nice build.

Depending on the shade of blue sounds nice - but with something so small and potentially fast - maybe something more 'hi-vis' would be appropriate?

explorer750

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:31:03 am »

I am just going for what colours I have in the cupboard. I agree that some thing a bit brighter could prove handy. I think that I will be able to find it from the rooster tail %%

explorer750

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 06:49:47 pm »

After far to long it is finally finished, just waiting for the weeds to be cut at the lake before a test run.

Hope you like it.

To give an idea of size here it is in front of a footy and a rg 65 under construstion

airwolf572010

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 05:10:51 am »

Looks really great and well done Mate.
Me Im a lazy bug I just went out and bought on ebay the Mini Hydro,  Small Bolt electric hydro running on 11.1v and believe me she is plenty quick enough for an old fellah like me. Just gotta change the Plastic Prop to the Octura X632 and apparently that will increase its performance even more.
But nice build there mate hope the weeds have gone??

Armo :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.