Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virgin digital home support (U.K.)  (Read 2273 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Virgin digital home support (U.K.)
« on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:07 am »

Hi all, its not often that you can give an unqualified thumbs up to a big name service.  But Virgin D.H.S has dug me out of the mire 3 times now and all for £6 per month.

The first 2 times were a virus the same one, where it came from I know not as I don't go any where dodgy.
This last time, yesterday a Sunday, my version of Word got corrupted in registry and took an hour to resolve.  It was almost unusable and I could not get to my stored documents.

I know there are some really clever guys on this forum who can sort out their own problems but my first virus that I could not sort out took 7 hours via remote access to cure.

My son (PHD in computer science said buy another PC!), but these days there is so much on your PC that even replacing it is only to be contemplated.  My P.C is worth nothing in money, 8 years old now, but of great value to me.  I did buy an external disc for back ups about a year ago.
Am I being a coward?

If you are a Virgin customer and think that £6 per month for 24/7 cover is good value then join before you have a problem as they have a fixed charge if you join because of a problem.  Don't blame them at all.
From questions I asked I believe that this is a contracted out service.
Hope this might give someone peace of mind.
regards to all,

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Virgin digital home support (U.K.)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:29:46 am »

Sadly Roycv, there are those who regard Microsloth as a target and hit it at all opertunities cos they can. Don't really care what their issues are, Handputation would sort a few out and act as a warning to others who want to fly the flag of chaos and disruption.

A couple of freebies that bear a close look (Been using them for years now with NO complaint) are "Avast" and "Ccleaner"

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:30:15 am »

Another useful program is search and destroy :-) it removes 'Malware' and 'spyware' some anti virus programs say they do this but I find the used in conjunction with a good antivirus (A.V.G. or Avast both FREE (leaves more money for boat bits and life's other necessities) )
and Ccleaner my PC's stay healthy  :-))

http://www.securitywonks.net/download.php

edited by me, it find it helps if I include the link  {-)
I wonder if I can get some sort of defrag program or back up for my brain?

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:08 pm »

I strongly agree that AVG free is an excellent anti virus program. Since installing have had no problems at all. There are no doubt
other free program which are as good.Just a word of warning. If trying to uninstall Norton. Then please use the uninstall programme
off the internet. Just trying to delete may well cause your computer to fail.I regretfully speak from experience here. John.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:23:29 pm »

I strongly agree that AVG free is an excellent anti virus program. Since installing have had no problems at all. There are no doubt
other free program which are as good.Just a word of warning. If trying to install Norton. Then please use the install programme
off the internet. Just trying to delete may well cause your computer to fail.I regretfully speak from experience here. John.

Many moons ago when I first got into computers as a hobby Norton was fantastic. these days I find it has become one of my favorite swear words, (along with Belkin who I wouldn't use for anything except cables and they are overpriced in that). I would say 99% of the time if I get asked by a friend to sort out a problem with their PC it is one of those 2 companies products that are the root of the problem.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:29:18 pm »

The problem with some antivirus programmes is that they put so much into there programmes that a computer failer becomes more
likely as Lord bungle confirms.John.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 12:38:33 pm »

Hi, thanks for the responses, I do use AVG and have most of the free anti spyware etc.  I was making the point that sometimes an in depth knowledge of the PC s/w is needed and I do not have this.  I have removed a virus before that got past AVG by using PC tools, which is also very good.

But faced with my Word program coming up with just a page to type on, no file, edit view or any of the top lines of controls and features there is just nothing to grasp hold of.
I watched as the technician did everything I had done and then she started digging.  I can dig so far and then do not know what I am looking at.

She was deleting files which I have never seen and would not know if they were meant to be there or not  I think we must remember that this is a job for someone qualified and who can hack it on a day to day basis.

Security s/w packages cannot do this, they can try to stop the problem occurring but after that you need some one qualified.
We all, I hope, get our cars serviced but there are some things you leave to the professionals.   Would you change the overhead cam shaft drive belt in your car? 

The virus problem that lead me to DHS took a guy a whole shift to cure, 7 hours, I watched some of it and came back now and again and only have admiration for his perseverance and ability.  Privately it would have cost at least £30 per hour and a friend of mine pays £60 per hour.  No contest for me!
regards to all Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.