Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1279165 times)

amdaylight

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1000 on: September 16, 2008, 09:32:26 pm »

Martin,

Do you know the people that are producing this kit, when I e-mailed them saying that there were a couple of us interested in starting their kit, they e-mailed back that they only sell in England, not the US.  >:( >>:-( Could you possibly convince them to start selling in the US as I think that they could really expand their business.

By the way you are doing a great job on her (him?  ???) so far.

Andre Anderson

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1001 on: September 16, 2008, 11:23:30 pm »

hi andre,

actually it started in germany, then the uk, then south africa, austrailia, kiwi land and now france and holland, so if you move to holland you could get it. not quite the same as portland, but still lots of flowers around. {-)

berth44

« Reply #1002 on: September 24, 2008, 06:02:31 am »

G'day to all, haven't been on line for a wee while, but that doesn't mean I'm out the game, I just lost this one!! I'm still building away, got over the problems with the 'crap planks' that were the 2nd layer. Most were replaced with 2 dollar bags of lollypop sticks!! It's finished now and it has turned out pretty good.
I don't know how you fellow builders out there went with the 'portholes', but I had used the 'ply' parts with the 'pre drilled' holes, and when the 'paper template' came in 54, well, I had a lot of filling to do, like them ALL!!, every hole was wrong and filled in, re marked, re drilled! (I also fitted 'plastic' inserts into every porthole, if anybody is interested, I'll tell you how!)
We are all aware of the 'aft resin anchor pocket' enough has been said about it, so dare I say, even the replacement isn't right!! It all comes to light with the top row of portholes, like I mentioned, I fitted the ply parts, but when the template is placed on the stern, the 'ply holes' are like 3mm lower. So, when you look at the anchor, look at a good photo of the stern and see it's placement in reference to the deck and to the 'new' row of portholes you just might see a bit of a difference,you'd need to be blind not to see it...I was, and I admit it, nobody is perfect!!!
Anyway, I could go on for ages, write heaps, all I'm going to say is, I 'moved' the anchor pocket into it's new position,(without moving it????) and visually, it looks correct!, if anybody is interested or has done it, let me know!
I'm up to part 59, just going through all the various parts and finishing them off. No real problems so far, a few niggly things perhaps that have crept in, mainly AMATI'S fault....Nice to be back....Dave (I'll try to be shorter next post!!)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1003 on: September 24, 2008, 11:29:13 am »

Hi Berth44,

I must admit I'm pushed for time to get some more of my model done (Truth be told the 2ndlayer planking is one of the most disheartening tasks I've undertaken in a model boat for many a year!).

Interesting what you say about the portholes, stern anchor, corrections, corrections to the corrections, amount of words being lent to this project...... how can that be when it comes in 140 parts?!?!?!  - At this stage I must admit, I would like to see a "factory finished" model just to see what it mine "will look like" once it's finished!...

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ladybug

« Reply #1004 on: September 24, 2008, 07:01:04 pm »

Hello,

First some greetings from Holland.
After reading all the comments and tips, i've desided to build the Bismarck too.

I'm happy to say, that i've just finished the first two chapters of the 140 (got 3 left for the next days)
But i've already a question: Is it correct, that part 1 is lower then the ones on each site (about 1 mm) ?
I bought a second copy of chapter 2, and the part 1 in that one is the same height .
I'm just asking this, because when i look at all the nice pics of you guys, a see only a flat deck at that place, not a little curve

Greetz Paul

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1005 on: September 24, 2008, 07:15:22 pm »

Yes, it's not important, nothing goes on top of that rib.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Ladybug

« Reply #1006 on: September 24, 2008, 07:26:30 pm »

Thanks Martin, O0

i thought the deck rested on that part, (so i'm wrong)
i shouldn't read that far ahead  ;)

greetz Paul

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1007 on: September 24, 2008, 08:10:01 pm »

Despite being laser cut, I've found most hull parts needed a little 'tweaking' to get them to fit properly.  ;)

berth44

« Reply #1008 on: September 25, 2008, 01:23:02 am »

G'day Martin, I love that word, 'tweaking', definitely sounds better than 'thumping' 'bashing' 'tearing' (as per your hair out!!) I'm sure that there are many out there who have complied!!!)Sorry to hear your view about the hull,( 2nd lot of planking),  'disheartening'  I would probably agree as the planks I received for the job were awful, it's the cost factor as well, I used some, but most of it were' 2 dollar per hundred' lollypop sticks!!. I also chucked the instructions and went about it in an 'unorderly' berth44 fashion which seemed to work!
In the end it will no doubt be a great model, seeing one finished would definitely be a bonus, keep the chin up..Dave

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1009 on: September 25, 2008, 11:35:11 am »

It would appear that Amati's quality control is almost non existant,
from what Martin and Bertha44 have said, I must be one of the lucky ones as so far every peice has fitted together perfectly, also my second planking strips were excellent, don't want to be nasty but I hope you guys keep getting the rubbish and I keep getting the good bits......... O0 O0

Roy

Ps.  Will take a pick of the hull tomorrow and post on here..........
I try not to be naughty but nautical

berth44

« Reply #1010 on: September 26, 2008, 05:11:39 am »

G'day Roy, you are a naughty boy!!, wouldn't wish that on any builder, joke or no joke!! Remember, some of this 'so called crap' is costing us 15 bucks a pop, definately, no joke!!.....Dave

P/s, remember this Roy, if you do get something that aint quite the way it should be, you've just offended the very people who can help you!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1011 on: September 26, 2008, 09:34:34 am »

In defence of Hachette, nearly every bit of wood I've received has been excellent, first class quality.
.... the 2nd layer of planking.... there's just so much of it .... and I've planked the hull once already!  :'(

How do these  guys build these double diagonal planked hulls?  ???

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1012 on: September 26, 2008, 09:48:23 am »

How do these  guys build these double diagonal planked hulls?

They sort of lean sideways Martin.... :D

Eric65

« Reply #1013 on: September 26, 2008, 12:15:37 pm »

I slightly cheated when it came to second planking, and bought 1m long planks. They were a bit of a pain to glue on because of the extra lenght involved, but planking went really fast.

I did note however, that the supplied Hachette planks were excellent quality, I just got impatient waiting for them to arrive and went for the long ones instead and got a headstart!

Over all, I feel that the quality of the kit is tremendous, the brasswork all seems to fit snugly and the few small detail errors will in no way spoil the model. I can't wait to see the finished ship sitting proud.

I wonder if the wife will let me put it on the mantlepiece? ::)

berth44

« Reply #1014 on: September 27, 2008, 01:28:57 am »

G'day guys,OK, before I rabble on, this will be a great model, I have no doubt in my mind that it be anything else, and I do commend 'AMATI' for their planning and craftmanship!!. IT does seem that I'm in a minority regarding the 2nd lot of planking, the other wooden bits?, no complaints, and as far as the brasswork goes, it has been fine, don't know about 'the fit' as yet, I've only did the detailing as per the instructions , no doubt fitting and bending will come soon, that'll test their fit!!
The only brass ' 'bent' so far, is turret Caesar and the 'gun control thingy',that was fine. The brass for 'Caesar on the other hand, it was a tad long, about 1/16th, so I figured it it to be correct, the wooden structure to be out in it's circumference!. 0.25 mm Plasticard was used to fix that!!.
 Only one more  item, re one of the 'cabin sides. (just thought of it) two of the porthole covers that were a part of the detailing , not the 'glue on' ones, were not under the porthole where they should have been, but a 'few mm away!?! , just stuck there,not covering anything, just 'hangin' around for no reason, and there's no explanation!! Anybody else notice that with theirs that can offer an explanation???......or once again, am I the stooge!!!!
These two things on the brass are just nigly things sent to try us, items like that are a modellers delight, but those bloody planks!!...................Dave

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1015 on: September 29, 2008, 08:03:02 am »

This is my attempt at this kit........

Roy

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1016 on: September 29, 2008, 10:19:21 pm »

Looking good Roy, I'm taking a bit of a sabbatical at the moment whilst I DIY the hobby room, plus weather has been good and loads of the lad's footy . Is that a Harley in the background?
Robert

berth44

« Reply #1017 on: September 30, 2008, 12:46:10 am »

G'day Roy, great looking paint job! Can I ask you, how far from deck level to the start of the 'black lline', how wide is it, and when do we get the 'supports' for the two outboard props???..Dave.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1018 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:15 am »

Rem2007,
Sorry mate not while ever I breath will one of them be in my shed,
It is the wife's bike being repainted Honda CBR 600.........

Berth44,

Never waited for the supports, made my own shafts from
stainless steel outers with 4mm shafts in oilite bearings
you could hit the ends of the tubes with a hammer
and they would not move, may put them on for show
but not really necessary. The paint work is as per plan
and from photos.........

Roy

berth44

« Reply #1019 on: September 30, 2008, 11:10:57 pm »

G'day Roy, thanks for the info.Well, if you made the support yourself,it doesn't look like we'll be getting it anytime soon. I've been into a German site, viewed everything from 1-111 and there is not a bo peep of it!!...Dave

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1020 on: October 01, 2008, 01:18:43 pm »

Berth44,

Well I guess we will have to wait and see, I really don't
think mine needs them but if they arrive I will fit them........

Roy

berth44

« Reply #1021 on: October 02, 2008, 02:06:40 am »

To Roy.....'Suppose!!'

berth44

« Reply #1022 on: October 14, 2008, 10:27:28 pm »

Well, it's all quiet on the western front, everybody must be waiting on their radio gear!! Personally, this MAY be my last post, who said 'hooray!!??' till January next year, going overseas for a holiday to Scotland.
I've just received parts 60-63, they are quite straight forward, 63 might be a wee bit fidly, so, if you don't hear from me in a couple of weeks, I'll catch you  in the New Year....All the best...Happy building....Dave.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1023 on: October 14, 2008, 11:45:52 pm »

You can't take months off from your Bismarck build just because you have due reason, you wouldn't catch me doing that!  %)

The long Build

« Reply #1024 on: October 14, 2008, 11:52:45 pm »

MONTHS  >>:-( seems like years Martin....I even might get a model compleated . %%

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.