Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278970 times)

berth44

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1025 on: October 16, 2008, 01:03:42 am »

Sorry Martin, I wont let it happen again!!, if I could get the 'thing ' into my case, then sneak it aboard the Airbus A380,(I'm excited!!) I would, but who's going to send my stuff from Australia to Scotland??? But don't worry 'fer heart', I'll be watching what's going on from over there and saying 'G'day, just to see how far behind I'm falling!!...Dave

Bismartin

« Reply #1026 on: October 18, 2008, 01:12:17 am »

As I haven't posted for a good while, I thought I'd show how far I've come with my hull:

Although the double planking was a pain, I quite enjoyed it ! The hull is very strong. I've filled all the gaps with a soft wood filler, sanded at least a dozen times and sprayed it with a can of under coat I found in the garage to show off any irregularities. Most have been sanded out but I notice from these pics a few still exist. Then again, practice makes perfect !!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1027 on: October 18, 2008, 07:10:28 am »

Wow! that's some finish Bismartin!
That French polished table is like glass!!!  :D

Only joking 'cause I'm jealous! ;)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bismartin

« Reply #1028 on: October 21, 2008, 09:32:36 pm »

Don't tell the wife I placed my model on there to photograph it !

The hull still needs a finer sanding down to smooth it off and the port holes need a lot of work. I spent ages smoothing out around the front porthole strips, they were a pain to get anywhere near nice. The stern ones are rubbish at the moment ! Lots more work.

berth44

« Reply #1029 on: October 22, 2008, 12:05:55 am »

G'day 'Bismartin', the portholes are 'orrible things for sure, so you can imagine drilling what seemed like thousands on the 'AMATI TITANIC', anyway, similar problems existed with this model, they cracked, rough edges etc, but 'brass eyelets' were supplied to finish these off. I used them , but did it in a completely different way, but that's another story!
I had 'eyelets' spare, but none big enough, so I thought,"what else is there I can use for these buggers?"
So I came up with a humble and a readily available source,and cheap!(raid the bathroom) cotton buds!!, not the fluffy bit, the plastic tube!. If you drill out your portholes to a size that these fit tightly, insert the ends, push it fair in, then trim with a new blade, or cut them to about a 1/4 of an inch and push them with the 'other end' of a drill, (anything round that is wider than the tube)
I've did all mine in this way and it looks quite 'realistic', each porthole looks like a 'separate fitting' and not just a hole!. Give it a go on a spare bit of wood and see how you go, just a thought to spread around, but it worked for me!!...Dave.

P/s, if you are sailing her, you could 'crimp' or use something to 'fill' the 'inserted' end, not too hard a job to keep it watertight and still have a clean looking porthole!!??

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1030 on: October 22, 2008, 12:17:39 am »

Excellent suggestion!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bismartin

« Reply #1031 on: October 24, 2008, 11:27:50 pm »

Thats an excellent idea. I've done warships before and used brass tubing from the local model shop. Cut, smoothed and filled with clear glue to give that glass effect but hadn't considered anything for this one yet :)

Eric65

« Reply #1032 on: October 26, 2008, 09:14:35 pm »

Hi Dave, I was so take by your idea about cotton buds, i thought I'd have a bash at it.

I must say that i am really pleased with it, thanks for the tip!!!! :-))

berth44

« Reply #1033 on: October 26, 2008, 11:20:40 pm »

First time that I've seen an idea of mine posted and actually put into practise, it does look good, great job Eric65!!..Dave

berth44

« Reply #1034 on: October 26, 2008, 11:49:31 pm »

Even better Eric65 when I see my idea being posted by a fellow Scot,and from bonnie Argyll..Great!! I'm an ex pat living in Australia, I'm from (maybe not quite as 'bonnie')...Motherwell! We leave this Saturday for a 2 month holiday over there, can't wait, I'll be at odds not doing the Bismarck, but I'll be keeping up with the Forums...."all the best, and here's tae us, there's no many like us, and they're awe deed!!"....Dave.

P/s, did the frogs no geez a gubbin at the Rugby??!!

Eric65

« Reply #1035 on: October 27, 2008, 08:58:54 pm »

Where abouts in Oz are you Dave?

I spent a very happy year back-packing around Oz in '89-'90. Fantastic country, loved every minute of it!

As a loyal Scot, I wish that we could play sport internationally, but lets face it......it's usually just plain embarrasing....
Now, if anybody wants to come over for a wee game of Shinty....that would be different!!!

berth44

« Reply #1036 on: October 28, 2008, 12:18:30 am »

I'm in Canberra Eric, didn't go and see the Scots play, I had a preminition that we would get a gubbin' and if I went I'd be involved in some sort of slagging match with the 'frogs', so it was a safe bet to watch it 'LIVE' on the TV!!
I lived in 'The Alice' circa 'Lockerbie' 88, but I believe we were still in Alice in 89, it's a beautiful Town, but way to isolated for a 'towny' like myself, so Canberra it was.
As you said it's a beautiful country this Australia, Alice in the NT(managed Darwin for a week-end!!) and into northern QLD has been my ultimate foray into the country, but it's my ultimate goal to return to where my 'heart' is, get a wee 'but'n'ben' and live out the rest of my life finishing off the Bismarck....and about a dozen or so others!!
Anyhoo, don't wanna bore the 'readers' oot rer way ra patter innat, just settle back and wait for 'take off' on Saturday...Scotland.... Sunday!!         Dave.

berth44

« Reply #1037 on: October 29, 2008, 11:56:44 pm »

Anybody aware out there of 'Hatchette' supplying individual planking for the decks????. Apparently they said in issue 1 they would!! Some guy on 'another site' called them up and he said that they are supplying these to him, promised apparently!!HMMM???
Personally I can't imagine that for one minute, this kit, 'as is' is supposed to be aimed at even the 'first time' builders, just can't think how Joe Soap (new guy) would act if faced with literally hundreds of these and all the 'jargon' that goes with the fitting of 'separate' planking, god, the hull planking was bad enough!!....Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1038 on: October 30, 2008, 07:31:19 am »

Wasn't there also talk of laser cut/ scored  planking?

Down below

« Reply #1039 on: October 31, 2008, 12:46:11 pm »

For those in the UK who asked about this they were sent a bunch of 1mm wide strips of wood, bet they wished they never asked {-)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1040 on: October 31, 2008, 12:51:03 pm »

Beth44,

How long will you be overseas mate, as I will be in
Canberra in January for a week would love to meet
you if possible....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

tjilpi

« Reply #1041 on: November 04, 2008, 06:13:41 am »

<:( and I was doing so well, a bilge keel bites the dust. Choices now are 1. a patch job (but I'd know it'd been patched) or 2. Try to source a back issue of 37/38. Putting it away for today in case it gets worse.
Just having a rant and thought this'd be a good place for it
Cheers
Oz

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1042 on: November 04, 2008, 07:40:45 am »

What happened Oz?

tjilpi

« Reply #1043 on: November 04, 2008, 10:02:17 pm »

I'd put off sanding the keels until, well, until I got around to it and once the second planking was done I'd attach them.

Having decided on the 'right-angled triangle' profile with the longest face uppermost I thought I'd marked which face to sand and marked fore and aft ( both ends on the ones I'd recieved weren't symetrical, one end having a slightly longer taper). The first one went like a charm, I started to work on the second and sure enough, had started on the wrong face.

I've ended up patching it by trimming back the layer of ply that I'd started to sand, making that section 2-ply instead of 3 and then glueing in some scrap from the second planking, making it back into 3-ply. I think it looks like a good patch, once it's painted no-one but me will know what's under the plank.

I often hear people say "measure twice, cut once" but I'm still trying to understand how I can measure three or four times and still mess it up {:-{

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1044 on: November 04, 2008, 10:50:17 pm »

You are not alone  :((
Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1045 on: November 04, 2008, 11:35:56 pm »

Me three!  :'(

existensialxa

« Reply #1046 on: November 28, 2008, 11:51:01 am »

Hi everyone,

My name is Phil and I am a novice modeller from Lancashire.  New to the site, but up to date with the model. Have stopped at the main armament turrets.

I would like to make them rotate and elevate but am struggling to work out how to do it - any ideas ?

Phil

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

existensialxa

« Reply #1048 on: November 30, 2008, 07:54:58 pm »

Thanks Martin,

I have developed the fixed cam system using plumbing pipe (40mm) but was hoping someone would have worked out if you can fit a servo in the turret ?

Also, I tried to mount the servo's lower down for stability reasons, but have come across a torque problem. Any idea's ?

Phil

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1049 on: December 02, 2008, 02:22:37 pm »

Via email to Mayhem....

Hi,   
........ this is my 1st attempt at model building, when I saw the
"Bismarck" I had to have a go, and here it is. Have got this far and have
decided to insert Radio control, so hope that this will not cause a problem.
Am going along as the instructions say, at times they don't make sense
perhaps that me at 74 but really enjoying it. Have managed to get info from
a Bismarck site Subifa but don't know any German, at least I can see what is
coming next. Great site you have with plenty of reading

Noel

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.