Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278812 times)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1050 on: December 02, 2008, 09:08:03 pm »

very nice Noel, you should be re-directed shortly :-))nudge , nudge Martin

Mc Fly

« Reply #1051 on: December 09, 2008, 08:32:06 pm »

hi mens,

i find the topic for presentations....

I'm a french ship modeler, i've begining the bismarck few mounth ago :D i've mounted 4 ship kits...

and i have a problem with this resin part :

I don't have the big one !

jock

• Shipmate
  • It ain't a hobby if you have to Hurry
« Reply #1052 on: December 11, 2008, 04:24:55 am »

I've got both parts but they got mixed up so I.m not sure which is the correct one.
Jock

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1053 on: December 11, 2008, 09:35:20 am »

Me too!  :embarrassed:

If I remember correctly you're going to need the larger of the two stern resin pieces. The smaller one and the filler wood piece leave the anchor recess in the wrong spot.

Have fun. O0 
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mc Fly

« Reply #1054 on: December 11, 2008, 11:51:05 am »

i need the big one :D, the smallest is good, but, not when i glu the second plaking :D %%

Mc Fly

« Reply #1055 on: December 12, 2008, 09:10:52 pm »

with witch book come the big one?

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1057 on: December 13, 2008, 11:49:17 am »

Martin,

You must be about ready for the next installment in your build............. :-)) :-))

Roy

PS It's been a while.....................
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1058 on: December 13, 2008, 04:08:06 pm »

As soon as my shoulder stops hurting me... bad day today.  <:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Mc Fly

« Reply #1059 on: December 19, 2008, 06:09:32 am »

a french team of hachet have send me a mail and say:

Hello,
Ah! The (net).....

The piece of bow supplied with France is everything made correct. She corresponds in thickness to both line.

Good construction.

can you please give me all dimentions of the good part ?

berth44

« Reply #1060 on: January 15, 2009, 12:14:33 am »

G'day everybody, well back safe and sound from Scotland,( just have to get over the 'jet lag' that I've had for nearly 24 Years!!!) It was a fun trip, but I missed my 'build it'. (nothing much else, I'm afraid to say!)
Now that I'm back I've been slow to get into it, 12 issues were waiting on me..64-75. I'm working my way slowly through them, bit HOT here in Aussieland, not very pleasant working conditions at all, so when there is a 'COOL' spell, I'm in the garage getting on with it!!! I'm finishing off the aft Control station, just generally putting the parts together until I decide to paint them, then I'll start securing the brass parts to the wooden structures. I'm glazing the 'portholes/windows', so all the parts that have these have to be painted before the glazing is fixed in place from behind.
I hope everone has got their little problems solved like mr McFly and his resin parts! The bottom part is the so called second part with the revised anchor pocket, but technically, it's not correct either, well let's put it this way, the way the pocket sits is correct if you were not gluing the part 'under' the aft deck section. The resin part would have to fit directly to the stern with the top forming the deck part, but it would then have to be cut in half, disected through it's middle to fit, way too much bother!!...Dave..(more later)

berth44

« Reply #1061 on: January 15, 2009, 03:45:32 am »

I'ts later, the aft anchor. If you gets yourself a good photo of the stern you can see that even the new 'pocket' is'nt quite in the correct position. I'ts should be almost at deck level and it's relation to the aft portholes is wrong.
What I did was, as I still had the old resin part, I thought (??) "maybe" if I could 'cut out' the anchor pocket from that, then 'transplant' it to a more 'correct' position on the 'new' bit, "hmmm??" (that part IS fitted by the way, this was an after thought!)
So I got 'cutting' and by accident I found that my soldering iron went through it like butter, much easier! I successfully cut the thing out and filed and sanded it to shape. Once satisfied she was right I placed a small bit of paper over it and did a 'pencil rubbing', this gave me the true shape, that was cut out and I placed it over the the 'in situ' anchor pocket and when the placement was right with the deck and portholes it was marked with a 'fine art pen' and then all that was needed was to cut, gouge, drill out a hole, bung in some filler (I use Tamiya 'grey' plastic putty) and place the 'new new' pocket in it until satisfied the position is correct. Slight pressure was applied and the excess filler oozes out, this is smoothed out and allowed to set.
More filler is used if necessary, then a wee of bit of carefull sanding with fine paper(I dripped a couple of light blobs of superglue round the edge before sanding)  until it was 'as one'. The end result speaks for itself with a more realistically placed anchor, and all it cost was time and effort!

(I'm not very good on computers and have big problems posting photos, so if anybody wants to see the end result go to the Google web page "Titanic Titanic..Build the Bismarck site, page 14, my friend posted them for me!).......Dave

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1062 on: January 15, 2009, 05:46:26 am »

Mat_B

« Reply #1063 on: January 15, 2009, 06:24:40 pm »

hi :}
realy want to build this now after seeing everyones pics, but cant get the isues.
has anyone taken photo copys of frames etc that they could e-mail to me?

MAt %%

thank :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

berth44

« Reply #1065 on: January 19, 2009, 03:16:32 am »

Hello Martin,thanks for looking!!, that's one lot,(Mark UK's site) the first 24 are of mine in the 'early build it' stages of the hull. The 'other' lot are (gave you a bum steer!!)'Google.... 'build the bismarck' then find the header beginning "Titanic Titanic" (It's usually on the first page) Go into the site and click on page 14, all the gaff under the header 'berth44' (again) is mine, it's not hard to find as it's  mostly me!!!.......Dave.

mark_1984

« Reply #1066 on: January 26, 2009, 05:00:48 pm »

Nice to see that you've finally got the 2nd planking licked - would you like to finish mine for me now ;)

berth44

« Reply #1067 on: January 29, 2009, 11:17:35 pm »

Making slow progress,finally finished off the mast and now working through the brass bits. Only gluing the brass sides that don't have portholes or windows to the woodwork. Ones 'with' will be painted first, then glazed from behind, only then these will then be glued in place.
When fitting one of these brass sides into a 'recess', I found that the part seemed a wee bit big, it would require filing on the bottom (or top) to make it 'flush; with the wood," Hmmm??" I thought of this, if you lightly score/groove the recess along it's length with a blade,( or a sharp pointed tool, say a scriber, maybe even a dart!) where the brass fits into the 'roof' or an 'upper deck', this should 'allow' the brass to slip into 'the groove', therefore you should be able to 'flush fit' the brass without any filing!! It's worked for me on the two parts that I have completed!.
Lastly, a wee tip for the mast when completed, seeing it's 'very fragile', rather than laying it down somewhere or leaving it 'on the job', I made a wee 'stand' for it, small block of wood, 3mm hole, and for the bit that goes into the brass tube a wooden meat skewer did the job!! Took all of 2 minutes to do and now the mast is safe, erect, and out of the way until it is required!....just a couple ot things to ponder on....Dave.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1068 on: January 29, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »

Hi Berth44,

"score/groove the recess along it's length"... interesting, do you have any pictures please?

berth44

« Reply #1069 on: January 30, 2009, 02:38:50 am »

Hello Martin, in a word, no! I really should learn how to get photo's on line, never sort of been a computer person. I've got the digital camera and I did start off pretty keen and take pictures of the build, and I know that a picture can say a thousand words, so I really should learn Martin, but I've been shown before, and HAVE been successful, but, I just forget....I'm a "idiot"!!!
So, in the absence of a photo, try this, take a piece of a wooden fret, and with a steel rule as as a guide, run along it with a Knife/blade for a couple of inches, then take a brass part and work it into the cut/groove, if it does'nt fit, a sharp pointed tool as I've mentioned should do the trick! This should then give you an idea as to what I meant and be self explanitory as to how it translates to the job at hand!.....Dave.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1070 on: January 30, 2009, 06:54:55 am »

If you do have any photos, email them to me and I'll put them on here for you.  :-))

wowan999

« Reply #1071 on: January 30, 2009, 05:25:18 pm »

All greetings from Russia at us have appeared first number Bismarck I have decided to collect I understand you here the master it would be desirable to reach with your help the purpose

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1072 on: January 30, 2009, 05:38:28 pm »

Wowan999 Здравствуйте, добро пожаловать в Mayhem. Пожалуйста, не стесняйтесь, задавайте вопросы здесь.
Regards, Martin

Hello wowan999, Welcome to Mayhem. Please feel free to ask questions here.
Regards, Martin

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1073 on: January 30, 2009, 06:18:52 pm »

Is there no limit to this man`s talent?  Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1074 on: January 30, 2009, 06:59:10 pm »

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.