Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278874 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1075 on: January 30, 2009, 07:54:12 pm »

Ah but did you translate it back to english? You can get some interesting results  :-))

Doug

(trying to learn German - badly)
Don't Assume Check

Andre ZS1AZ

« Reply #1076 on: February 01, 2009, 12:26:11 pm »

Hi Martin, I have been following your build with some interest.  In South Africa we are slightly behind magazine wise, but boy o boy, am I far behind building wise.  I think that Berth 44 can attest to that.  Hi to you as well Dave.  Thanks for the long post on 'our site'.  I will pop in here every now and then.  Still busy with the first lot of planking.  Cheers....Andre

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1077 on: February 02, 2009, 07:30:55 pm »

Via email to Mayhem...

Hi,   Getting into all sorts of problems using the forum, and attaching a
 photo. As I said this is my 1st attempt at model building, when I saw the
 "Bismarck" I had to have a go, and here it is. Have got this far and have
 decided to insert Radio control, so hope that this will not cause a
 problem.

Am going along as the instructions say, at times they don't make sense
 perhaps that me at 74 but really enjoying it. Have managed to get info
 from a Bismarck site Subifa but don't know any German, at least I can see what
 is coming next. Great site you have with plenty of reading

Noel
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

berth44

« Reply #1078 on: February 02, 2009, 11:45:38 pm »

Hello Noel, model looks great, If I can find all me stuff and successfully put it together, she would look just like yours, without the red paint job!!. I'm not to clever getting the pictures on board either. Martin came up with a solution, so I may do as he says.....happy building Noel!....Dave.

P/S, be aware, be very aware of the  'South African' called 'Andre', bit of a scoundrel he is...."Shssss" don't say his name too loud or he might hear you!!...

PP/S, OK, let the truth be known, he's a great guy and has helped me out heaps by posting some photo's of my build on 'another site' that him and I....."own", well, we are the only two who 'post' stuff on it!!........

TCC

« Reply #1079 on: February 13, 2009, 11:28:44 pm »

I believe that when it was rediscovered they found that the stern had broken off so maybe the spelling is correct... :D

I suppose that if you missed one of the instalments, your model might end up the same way.

Make sure it is all there.
I bought a part works Titanic and the tops of the bulkheads were missing. ::)
I'm just waiting for the inevitable :D

Are they going to do a battlecruiser?  %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1080 on: February 14, 2009, 12:08:55 am »

Are they going to do a battlecruiser?

Will this one do? Nearly 10 metres long and built from Lego!

berth44

« Reply #1081 on: February 16, 2009, 04:25:54 am »

Very clever Mr Bishop...how long did it take you to put that together???....Dave.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1082 on: February 16, 2009, 11:46:20 am »

You should see what all those little studs do to the compression ration on a JPEG file! I'd swear the camera got warm..... %)

Colin

berth44

« Reply #1083 on: February 19, 2009, 02:35:41 am »

I'm at the painting stage, now, I'm NOT doing the 'stripey thing', plain 'ole grey, now which one??. I've opted for 'medium grey' and I have 'airbrushed'  all the brass bits  that I have completed so far, but I'm beginning to think that I should have used a 'light sea grey'instead. Can somebody put me right before I reach a point of no return...please???...Dave

LeoS

Coulors
« Reply #1084 on: February 19, 2009, 11:02:17 am »

Berth

Here you'll find the RAL paint numbers.
http://www.bismarck-class.dk/paint_schemes/introduction.html

Leo

TCC

« Reply #1085 on: February 19, 2009, 11:50:02 am »

If I was you, I go for a satin paint.. looks far neater on a model than matt.

About 'grey', not all greys are the same. I went with humbrol m64 but in some lights, that's a bluey-light grey. I wish I'd thought more about the paint and not just picked 'the nearest in the humbrol range'.

I'd have preferred a more silvery light grey than a bluey-light grey.

And if I had my time again, I'd get together a load of paint swatches and pick out a set of tones that went together well, not jus pick the right colours that may not sit as well together even though they are 100% accurate. I'd have gone for the good looking model.

Hagar

« Reply #1086 on: February 19, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »

I'm at the painting stage, now, I'm NOT doing the 'stripey thing', plain 'ole grey, now which one??. I've opted for 'medium grey' and I have 'airbrushed'  all the brass bits  that I have completed so far, but I'm beginning to think that I should have used a 'light sea grey'instead. Can somebody put me right before I reach a point of no return...please???...Dave

Here you go; every thing you need to know. RAL nr. Colour name, and THE Paint that hits the spot!!!
http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/catalogbody.html&CatalogBody

Or the Kriegmarin range maybe; http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/catalogbody.html&CatalogBody
(just a happy customer, spreading the word)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1087 on: February 19, 2009, 08:01:30 pm »

You mean I can't paint mine Metallic Tahitian Blue ?!?!   <:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1088 on: February 19, 2009, 11:03:05 pm »

You mean I can't paint mine Metallic Tahitian Blue ?!?!   <:(
Why not Martin, it would look beeeeeuuuutiful  O0 {-)

Peter.

berth44

« Reply #1089 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:56 am »

Thank you fellow modellers for the information, much appreciated for sure!, only thing was as I'm an impatient type of fellow I ran off to my local supplier of 'Humbrol' paints and purchased 2 tins of 'light grey matt 76' and after giving it a 'trial run', I thought, looks more like it, better than the 'medium!!', and proceeded to re-spray all the stuff that I'd done previously. (only then do you find you've got replies, not used to that,but I'm still listening!!))
I found in a couple of instances that the light grey wouldn't cover the darker grey, but it actually looked quite good...instant used look!! Anyway, I thought, I'd better fix it,as I want the ship to look 'relatively new' So I decided to use my 'fibre glass pen', this took off a layer of fine paint/dust (?) leaving a quite clean but 'streaky' light grey, and I thought that looked even better! I then rubbed the thing with my finger, this put a light sheen on the paintwork,and I thought, wow, this is even better still!!
I did another few parts, but I'm thinking this'll take some time to do, maybe I'll give it another coat of light grey??!!...or maybe as Martin suggested, 'Tahitian Blue' if all else fails, at least it'll be individual for sure!!........Dave

TCC

« Reply #1090 on: February 20, 2009, 11:05:27 am »

I ran off to my local supplier of 'Humbrol' paints and purchased 2 tins of 'light grey matt 76' and after giving it a 'trial run',...

I found in a couple of instances that the light grey wouldn't cover the darker grey, but it actually looked quite good...instant used look!! Anyway, I thought, I'd better fix it,as I want the ship to look 'relatively new' So I decided to use my 'fibre glass pen', this took off a layer of fine paint/dust (?) leaving a quite clean but 'streaky' light grey, and I thought that looked even better! I then rubbed the thing with my finger, this put a light sheen on the paintwork,and I thought, wow, this is even better still!!

Told ya!  :-))

Dave 'light grey matt 76? I can't find that mate. Matt steel grey in M87, that it?

There are some nice light greys in the satin range and some inbetween m140 and m147.

I'm looking for a mid-grey with a touch of violet in it, anyone got a humbrol or any other range that would suit? Cheers

Xaro

« Reply #1091 on: February 22, 2009, 01:06:20 pm »

Hi everyone
To start with: I'm not used to write English, so excuse me for any writing or gramatical mistakes :-))
I'm a nearly 65 years old Belgian who just have started the building of the vessel. Im awaiting part 4, so llots of work coming up.
So far I've only build some plastic model kits in the past years, so I will have a lot of learning to do.
I hope to may post some questions here if problems are ( surely) coming up.
From Belgium (with love ;)
Xaro

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1092 on: February 22, 2009, 01:17:56 pm »

Welcome aboard Xaro!   :-))

berth44

« Reply #1093 on: February 22, 2009, 11:59:06 pm »

G'day all, thanks TCC, but the colour is definately 'matt 76', says it on the lid!! So continuing on, I got all the brass that I was'nt satisfied with and using the 'fibre pen' cleaned everything up and resprayed it. I'm adding a Dark gray/black line at the base of All cabin and bulkhead structures, tried masking it, pulled the paint off, so I ended up using a 'Fine Compact Disc/ CD black marker to do this with a 90% 'that's the very fellow' and a 10% 'that'll no dae' rate!!, ("spray it again Sham!!)
 Unfortunately, this leaves a sort of 'reddish blue sheen' when the light hits it from a certain angle, but when the 'Satin Varnish' is applied, it goes away!!, so I'm quite happy with the result, and it's a lot quicker than doing it 'freehand' with a paint brush!! ...Dave

P/S, "Velcom", Xaro!!........don't be afraid to ask questions, the guys on this Forum' will be only to glad to help you out...we've all been where you are, just remember, there's no hurry, read your instructions, deviate if you must, finding a way is what it's about..your the man!!             

TCC

« Reply #1094 on: February 23, 2009, 12:33:50 am »

G'day all, thanks TCC, but the colour is definately 'matt 76', says it on the lid!! So continuing on, I got all the brass that I was'nt satisfied with and using the 'fibre pen' cleaned everything up and resprayed it. I'm adding a Dark gray/black line at the base of All cabin and bulkhead structures, tried masking it, pulled the paint off, so I ended up using a 'Fine Compact Disc/ CD black marker to do this with a 90% 'that's the very fellow' and a 10% 'that'll no dae' rate!!, ("spray it again Sham!!)
 Unfortunately, this leaves a sort of 'reddish blue sheen' when the light hits it from a certain angle, but when the 'Satin Varnish' is applied, it goes away!!, so I'm quite happy with the result, and it's a lot quicker than doing it 'freehand' with a paint brush!! ...Dave

P/S, "Velcom", Xaro!!........don't be afraid to ask questions, the guys on this Forum' will be only to glad to help you out...we've all been where you are, just remember, there's no hurry, read your instructions, deviate if you must, finding a way is what it's about..your the man!!             

Dave
 M76 is 'Matt Uniform Green', that it? M67 is 'Matt Tank Grey'.. confused as to what Humbrol colour you've used.

Good tip about the CD pen along the bottoms of the painted surfaces, I was going to try painting strips of paper 2mm wide and glueing them along. Maybe site them first 'dry' and touch the bottom with the CA tube and allow the paper to soak it in. But I'm not at this stage yet.

The bad side of doing the above is you'll have an edge of paper on view, and even if it's painted, they didn't have a skirting board-like member along the bottom, did they?.

What colour pen did you use?

Drawbacks? Any concerns as to logevity? (fading?)

Cheers.

berth44

« Reply #1095 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:14 am »

Hey TCC, thanks for the reply. You've got me thinking now, but the one thing it is not, is green!! I'm absoutely 100% that it says 76 on the lid of the can, but it'll be the first thing that I check when I go into the garage this avvo...apart from opening the windows to let the heat out!!
The CD/DVD pen is BLACK, I really don't know if it's available in grey.(?) In real life, it's hard to determine whether the actual line line is 'dark grey' or' black'(??) In black and white photos, which most of them are anyway, it does look a dark grey in some, but then another shows it's positively black, it's so hard to find two photos the same!!!. So I guess, it's up to the modeller as to how one should portray this line, or as you say TCC, 'skirting!' (the same theory applies to the ships actual Grey, is it dark, or light???)
Looking and studying photos, it sure looks like it's painted!!. As far as fading goes in the long term??, could'nt say, but I'm thinking that it'll last a long time as it's been varnished??! On the 'real thing' I only thought this 'skirting' was applied from new up until she was 'painted out' for it's final forey into the Atlantic in '41, but if you 'Google' the 1/200th Bismarck by Peter Beisheim, it looks like he has this in place, so if he's right, and all the other info is right, then we should all be painting this line in??!!...Dave.

P/S, I'm thinking, what about transfers???,anyone who makes their own could quite easily make a big black sheet and cut strips from it, or what about transfers for model cars, how many modes do we see with big bold black stripes, I'm certain they can be bought separately from good model shops??, just a parting thought!!

TCC

« Reply #1096 on: February 23, 2009, 07:12:56 pm »

Dave
I didn't want to seem to be harping on about that colour... it's just curiousity.

Fading
I'd think the varnish will be very good for it (the pen ink).

The painted 'Skirting'
I always thought these were painted in from new and for the lifetime of the ship. Purpose? Aren't the black strips so wet mops and any dirty water won't stain the lighter grey paintwork? I've never give them a thought but all the ships I've ever been on have got this strip at the bottom of painted surfaces.

In saying the above, J Haynes LION has mid grey 'skirtings' on a very light grey paintwork.

Therefore, I think it's one of those 'it's up to the modeller' type things and that this area was one of those things that constantly changed and was left up to theofficer on the spot and what paint the ship had. Anyone know anything differemt?

I have a pretty good 'on deck' image from Bismark, it's of one of the secondary guns and there's a wall behind it with a row of taps along. I scanned it for you and Martin and all you other guys who've had a taste transplant. (German WW2 ships? They're even worse than modern RN!  {-))

Just call me 'Mr Scan' as that's all I seem to be doing nowadays. Nah, Martin helped me out the other day with images, as have others, so I'm returning the help and helping bolster Mayhems rep as a 'helpful' site.  :-))

p.s I'm joking about other peoples models!

berth44

« Reply #1097 on: February 23, 2009, 09:27:37 pm »

Mr Scan man,??, It's got a good ring to it 'TCC', could even be a song title, first verse, "hey Mr Scaaaann Man, do a scan for me, am all out to sea" ( Hum it to an old  'Byrds' tune, Mr Tamborine man!!??).........Anyway thanks for doing that, certainly shows the 'skirting' for sure!, and more than likely, the colour is a 'dark grey', but for me, black it is!!
 My trips aboard ships are few, but I can remember on trips 'Doon the Watter' in the old paddle steamers, ie..'The Waverly'. Later on in life trips accross to Europe, and yes, that line was always there, usually green, but you don't know why (should've asked me dad, he was in the Royal Navy during WW2, bit late now mind you!!) Swabbing the decks (harr) sounds like a good and logical reason, I just can't think of any myself, I'm sure someone out there must know????.
Lastly, did a bit more last night, the 'pen' works fine on the straight bits, bit more difficult in the curved sections, I keep making the line too wide!, so I have to remove it, re-spray, then do it again, I think I should be wearing my 'head magnifiers', I'll give that a go next time!!...."OOPS!!"... I forgot to look at the paint number on the lid, but I'll do it tonight ...for sure!        Dave.

TCC

« Reply #1098 on: February 24, 2009, 12:42:33 pm »

Yeah, but did you have the image? (the deck on with the taps?) I'd kill for one of them of my ship.

Can't you use a ruler? Use it to keep the nib towards the edge and away from encroaching 'up' the wall?

I knew there would be these isues to face. That's why I thought 'pre-painted paper strips'. You may even get away with using PVA and sliding them into position, and just do you best to stop glue getting on the finished surface above.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1099 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:27 pm »

You could try using black Trimline tape. There is a selection of widths and you can varnish over it if you want to tone it down. Hardly any thicker than a coat of paint and it is repositionable to a certain extent.

Example here: http://balsamart.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=109_297

Colin

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.