Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278878 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1175 on: June 20, 2009, 05:11:15 am »

The varnish will be to seal the printed deck from smudging the ink when handling.
 The original would have been totally matt / dull surface, after hours and hours of sailors scrubbing the decks.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

berth44

Small guns
« Reply #1176 on: June 21, 2009, 05:58:48 am »

These parts go together well...here's the result..

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1177 on: July 08, 2009, 06:44:14 pm »

Want to build your own?

Issue 1-124  All unopened, with no damage. (140 to complete model)  can collect last 16 issues if you wish, but this half price offer is for 124!  - £362

Item number: 320395439680   

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Build-the-bismarck-hachette_W0QQitemZ320395439680QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN?hash=item4a990e6e40&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DEN

« Reply #1178 on: July 08, 2009, 07:47:29 pm »

HI Martin. In Russia, too, began to build Bismarck. It would be interesting and helpful to see your process of building more. Sincerely Den.  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1179 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:16 pm »

My build has come to  a bit a grinding halt at the moment.  >:-o
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4024.0

1. The hull planking it incredibly sole destroying......
2. I took on a build for someone and wished I hadn't, what an awful kit... (no names, no pack drill!)

berth44

« Reply #1180 on: July 09, 2009, 01:45:53 am »

It's a shame Martin that you think that way, you being the 'admin guy', but you are entitled to your opinion and I do respect that. I would'nt say that the hull planking was sole destroying, monotonous/repetitive perhaps, but such is 'hull planking' , maybe we should have just received a big one piece hull and that would have saved the bother!!
Personally I found it was fun and I had a sense of acheivement once it was built.
 I'm now finding that having received the parts 101-103 which contain the main decking that I have made some mistakes in my method of building the hull, but I'm putting it right, I'm not rubishing the kit, my fault, I'v got to fix it, that's what it's about! This kit is not meant to be simple and straightforward. (even though some  would say it is, Amati advertisement springs to mind!!)
It's therefore a bigger challenge than it was meant to be for sure, some parts I'll admit are not very good, especially some of the plastic parts,but the brass parts are as good as any I've used in any kit, this is the 'upside'of the build. Unfortunately, (back to the plastic)  I've seen myself 're-making' some of these or just finding a way to 'improve' on them, "OK for you" you might say...but for the money we're paying, whether the part be plastic, brass, resin, wood, should all be 100%, all we should have to do is apply the part to the kit as per instructed.... and that's it!
Having to 'fix stuff??' ....well, let's face it, we are not all pro's, semi pro's,or just 'an ordinary (but good at it!!) builder' who have no problems whatsoever fixing these things, unfortunately, some will be beginners looking for a step into the 'big stuff club'  and unfortunately, some will fail misserably in their attempt I'm sorry to say, and all the 'bad stuff' that comes out of that goes straight back to the manufacturer!
So in summing up, I feal (personally) that it is a great product and the end result will indeed produce a very good model of the Bismarck, but it comes down to me as the builder to make it this way. On the negative side 'Amati' should have made it quite clear that this model 'will not suit beginners' they should have advertised it as 'For Competent Modellers Only", or maybe like the 'Plastic Kits' had a 'Skill Level', or maybe just been honest and said "This Kit may be difficult and trying at times, not suitable for beginners or modellers with a heart condition"........Good luck to you all.........Dave

DEN

« Reply #1181 on: July 09, 2009, 07:51:07 am »

I understand that you have encountered an error and the construction stopped. Do not despair. We have 1 magazine is not cheap. Some people build Bismarck, using available materials and details scanned from magazines. It is not worse. Very helpful discussions with experienced Model in the forums

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1182 on: July 09, 2009, 05:59:21 pm »

Ah, just to clarify....

1. I do think the double layer planking is sole destroying but I didn't say I didn't enjoy doing it!
    Actually I found it very satisfying... but only once it was completed!   " Damn those short planks!    >:-o
   I've got all the sanding to do now to get into shape.

2. I really want to make a start on the brass upper works but this kit I'm building for someone is really "doing me 'ead din!"  <:(

mark_1984

« Reply #1183 on: July 09, 2009, 08:10:38 pm »

Just to clarify ? The kit you're doing for somebody else, which is "doin' your 'ed in !" is not the Bismarck, but another kit ? 

Or is it the Bismarck ???

Yours faithfully,
Confused of Surrey  :embarrassed:

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1184 on: July 09, 2009, 11:11:50 pm »

A Graupner Pegasus  :(( :(( :(( <:( <:( <:( %%

berth44

« Reply #1185 on: July 10, 2009, 12:29:32 am »

Sounds like a disease!!!.....Dave

stefan12

« Reply #1186 on: July 10, 2009, 09:35:47 am »

hello evryone i live in holland  :} im am now on part 45   :embarrassed:

kelvin

« Reply #1187 on: July 10, 2009, 04:45:09 pm »

hello stefan from holland I`am kelvin from holland nice to meet you.
I will be at number 45 of the bismarck 28 july.

if you don`t know me klick this link

http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/marineschepen/76106-kelvin-maakt-de-bismarck-van-hachette.html

(it is a dutch modelbuilding forum) :-))

jacques

« Reply #1188 on: July 10, 2009, 06:05:20 pm »

Hello all,

In Quebec we started getting the Bismarrk last october and we are at issue 40, but I'm still at issue 23 !
It's my first time building something and I guess it's pretty good for now but I'm wondering if anyone has posted pictures of how it is supposed to look (like a step by step for each issue).
It would really help because now I'm suppose to glue a "white thing" (sorry I'm french and don't know how it's called in english), it doesn't seem to be a correct fit and maybe it fixes itself during the second planking.
Anyway seeing close up pictures would help a lot.
Thanks

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1189 on: July 10, 2009, 11:31:17 pm »

Bonjour Jacque,

Je m'appelle Robert de Ontario, mais je suis habite en Angleterre maintnon. Please forgive my bad Quebecois, its been a few years, pm me for a good link for your build concerns.

Robert

berth44

« Reply #1190 on: July 12, 2009, 10:35:51 pm »

"Well hello rer Chinas'' (traditional Scottish Greeting for our 'Foreign' friends) May I suggest 'Jacques' that you try 'Build The Bismarck UK' , it's a chap called Mark, he's got the very build for you, in pictures so you can follow each week, give it a go.....Dave

jacques

« Reply #1191 on: July 13, 2009, 05:59:18 pm »

Found it, thanks  :-))

berth44

« Reply #1192 on: July 13, 2009, 10:54:35 pm »

What do you think Jacques, will this help you??. Anything else, just put it on line, someone here on the Forum will help you for sure, that's why we're here, to help each other as best we can...Dave.

kelvin

« Reply #1193 on: July 14, 2009, 09:38:08 am »

whahaha alright already finished until 45 Bismarck

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15180.0

have fun building your boat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where on earth is the birth rate the lowest????

at the elderly home %) {-)

jacques

« Reply #1194 on: July 14, 2009, 05:27:37 pm »

Yes it will help me a lot, in fact I already saw interesting things on the forum itself.  :-)

berth44

« Reply #1195 on: July 14, 2009, 10:41:18 pm »

That's good Jacques, obviously you've been into the' links' section, there's heaps there, a 'future' German site showing ALL the parts up to 'the end'of the model, and there's heaps of good stuff on the REAL Bismarck,. plus many other things of interest, and better still (cough cough!!)there's a few photo's on the site showing' my build' of the frame and hull planking...Dave.

jacques

« Reply #1196 on: July 15, 2009, 06:05:39 pm »

I am now at the point where I'm supposed to glue the deck (not doing the RC version) and the resin parts to the hull. I'm thinking of waiting until I finish the second layer of planks before doing it. Is it a good idea or I'm I creating more issues. I think it would be easier.

berth44

« Reply #1197 on: July 16, 2009, 02:08:13 am »

Hello Jacques, now, this is what modelling is all about, if you think it's a way better way to do,  do it!!!   I do things different as well, I don't think I followed the instructions on how to plank the thing, especially after the first lot were in place, I even used 'lollypop sticks' for some of the second lot!
I'm really not sure how I went about it, seems ages ago since I did the hull. I know that there are faults in the resin parts and these have been documented through the Forum. I take it you have the (what is known as) 'the correct' new stern part??, it has the 'anchor pocket' at the 'correct' angle, but is infact still wrong. Whether you decide to fit these parts on now, or later, is definitely up to you! What I did (I think) was to go ahead with the second lot and the decks (not radio control!) then fix all the amended resin parts later. Filler would be used to fix any problems later (always good to do 'Dry runs' to see how far out you are if 'deviating' from the instructions!!))
The stern is where most of my alterations were done (the bow received a fair bit as well!!) and what I'm stating here could infact be described as butchery!! The instructions have you adding (as part of the second planking), the 'ply' porthole sections, I fitted them, but in hindsight I shouldn't have as all the portholes were wrong,(the bow porthole 'ply' section as well has problems!!) this is'nt just because I altered the stern, they just were anyway!!
 I have completely altered the anchor pocket position to be 'as in' the correct position visually (to me) as per all the photographs that I have seen of the stern.( A photo is on this Forum somewhere, you can judge for youself!!)I did this by 'cutting out' the socket from an 'old' stern part, drilling and cutting out the pocket from the 'new' one, marking off what I think is correct in relation to the hight from the deck and also it's relation to the aft portholes (when corrected),just a case of slotting in the 'new' anchor pcket (it was like fitting a minature swimming pool!!), bit of filling and you would'nt know it had been moved!!
Doing it my way meant the utmost rear part of the stern had to be altered by quartering it to alter it's shape to follow the lines of the stern and the complete omission of the 'spacer' that was attached to it!!
So, as you can see,it's a lot os work, but in the end, it's up to you, you alone will decide on what is the best way, what I did was a lot of work, but it was what I wanted to do, so I say to you Jacques, go for it, if it does'nt work out, well, I'm sure you can fix it!!...Dave

P/s with the alterations to the stern, the supplied laser decking that comes later still fits perfectly!!

jacques

« Reply #1198 on: July 16, 2009, 01:06:48 pm »

You're right, I'll follow my guts !
I did see about issues you had with the resin parts not being OK, but up until now everything looks fine here and I'm going through this forum to compare with what we received until now.

berth44

« Reply #1199 on: July 16, 2009, 11:43:27 pm »

Go for it Jacques, I'm sure all will be fine. Good idea going through the Forum, it will help you in your quest for sure!......Dave

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.