Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278777 times)

Down below

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1225 on: September 17, 2009, 09:02:54 am »

It looks like some people dream's for a HMS Hood partwork is on the way, have a read at the admin post on this web site

http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=8

Hilux5972

« Reply #1226 on: September 24, 2009, 02:05:13 am »

That would be so Fantastic! Be great if they do it in 1:200 scale so it can sit alongside the Bismarck so we can see these two Leviathans together again in peacetime. Heres hoping

Allen

• Shipmate
« Reply #1227 on: September 24, 2009, 08:46:42 am »

Hi everyone, my name is Allen and I am new to the forum.  You've got to love this site.  I have been building models for years, mostly period sailing ships.  I am currently working on a scratch build of a Tasmanian Trading Ketch.  The original was built in 1870 in the town  where I live in Southern Tasmania, Australia.

I have stockpiled Bismark issues up to 112, but would like to ask what the result of the discussions relating to the inaccuracies were? I look forward to starting the build, but would like to know that I am as accurate as possible.
Hope to talk soon.  Cheers, Allen

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1228 on: September 24, 2009, 02:39:26 pm »

It's been reported that the Hachett hull is not all that accurate.....
If you really want to 'go to town',  you'll need a set or plans.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Down below

« Reply #1229 on: September 25, 2009, 08:10:06 am »

Latest info in mag 135 http://www.bismarckpainting.co.uk/

Jeez what  atask on a finished model  %%

Hilux5972

« Reply #1230 on: October 01, 2009, 01:22:36 am »

Thanks for that Down Below. Very helpful. Was wondering how i was going to paint the superstructure. Fantastically Helpful. Thanks for the link. :-))

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #1231 on: October 14, 2009, 08:23:10 am »

I have a customer in New Zealand who wants to buy the whole installation from the UK, and he would like us to obtain the Speed 400 motors, Graupner gearboxes, shafts and props for him, along with the ACTion electrickery. The problem is that I don't know the details of the shafts and props. Can anyone provide me with the following info so that I can grab the requisite bits at the Blackpool Show this weekend?
Shaft/tube length; diameter and thread
Prop diameter, no of blades.
He would like to install the two-motor option and definitely prefers gearboxes.
Thanks in anticipation, guys.
FLJ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1232 on: October 14, 2009, 11:00:38 am »

I've got my running gear from Marus (nice bloke in Germany) down stairs in me dungeon workshop,  I'll measure it up for you later but
I know it's got Graupner 2mm prop shafts........ personally, I wouldn't recommend gearboxes, straight drive with Speed400 7.2v will
be more than enough and a lot quieter too.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1233 on: October 14, 2009, 06:24:27 pm »

Shafts are 100mm long.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #1234 on: October 14, 2009, 08:24:11 pm »

Thanks a lot, Martin. I'll pass on the suggestion ref direct drive and see what the man says.
FLJ

mickyrubble

« Reply #1235 on: October 19, 2009, 05:31:31 pm »

Hi Martin ,
 its been quite a while since you posted anything on your Bismarck build (which i really enjoyed reading),how is your build progressing. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

berth44

« Reply #1236 on: October 26, 2009, 10:57:48 am »

Still alive (only just) just getting back into the build, albeit slowly, so here's a few photo's, first up...the props....Dave

berth44

« Reply #1237 on: October 26, 2009, 11:18:25 am »

In issue 115 you get 3 different pieces of wood to make up two vents. I saw these made out of card, so I looked around my box of goodies and came up with a used 'ply' fret, 1mm thick, a length of brass 4mm wide X 1mm, and a bit of 'Plasticard"1.5mm Sq., here is the finished result, more work, but I think it looks more realistic???....
I tagged on two more photo's at the end showing how I secured the prop wings to the hull. It didn't quite fit and was a bit wobbly so I secured the prop end first with superglue leaving it overnight to really get to grips, then all I did was drill through the other end into the hull, then inserting the toothpick with glue added to the pointy end and the thing pushed home. This holds it firmly in place (like a nail) and more glue added all round. When all is set, the whole thing has filler added to make it 'part of the hull' as per the instructions...Dave.

kelvin

« Reply #1238 on: October 26, 2009, 07:44:58 pm »

hello Bismarck builders.

I`am making nice progress with mine bismarck but I have got an problem wich I can`t solve with my knowledge.

the hull is not very nice and I want to make it like it is in one shape.

if somebody has tips to make the hull nice smooth. I would be very happy

mark_1984

« Reply #1239 on: October 26, 2009, 09:30:54 pm »

Hi Kevin,

It's not too difficult to get a smooth hull.  You need a flat block of wood and some sand paper.  Wrap the sandpaper round the block and get sanding.  I'd start with 80 grit to get the paint, the excess glue, and the worst of the roughness off.

The block of wood is important as it keeps the hull flat.  If you just sand with fingers you will end up with finger sized undulations.  You'll have to use the sandpaper by hand for the concave (inwards) curves.  Just go careful and change the direction of sanding frequently.

Once you've got it fairly smooth, fill in any gaps and hollows with some car body filler, trying not to leave too much excess, and then start sanding with a finer sandpaper, say 120 grit.  Then fill any small holes again, and try even finer paper.  Finish off with, say 400 grit or finer.

The first sanding will be a pain as you have to get the paint off first.

The good news is that as you get better at planking you have less sanding to do  :}

berth44

« Reply #1240 on: October 26, 2009, 10:28:50 pm »

Marks gave you good advice there Kelvin, you'll need to get that paint off (filler??) completely, get it sanded right down to the bare wood. As he says you'll need to use a filler, I used  'Tamiya'' filler but that could be expensive as it comes in small tubes,(it still goes a ling way, it's quick drying and easy to work with) car stuff may indeed be the way and it should be cheaper. Just remember the golden rule, apply it thinly, once it's dry, sand it down. Do this as many times as necessary unti it starts to get smoother and smoother. Once you've got the real roughness off it,and it's starting to look good, smooth, just like metal!, there is a car primer that also has filler incorporated into the spray can, use this lightly to fill up small gaps/cracks that are still around. Polyfilla also do stuff in a yellow tube, called 'finishing' off, this really smooths it down before painting, and also remember for best results with the undercoating and final painting is to use spray cans, or if you have an air brush, use that. Always make light passes, let it dry, do another. If you still have cracks and unevenness, sand it, just keep doing it Kelvin, it'll come out far better than you ever expected, and you may even praise yourself, there is no hurry, you are not in a race, time my friend is on your side...Dave

kelvin

« Reply #1241 on: October 27, 2009, 09:46:24 am »

thank you now I think I know what tot do.
 In thefuture I will show you pictures of wath it became

berth44

« Reply #1242 on: October 27, 2009, 12:41:41 pm »

look forward to that Kelvin, happy sanding!!..Dave

berth44

« Reply #1243 on: October 29, 2009, 11:53:51 am »

Just finished the Ádmiral's Bridge and I must admit I found it a bit trying, anybody with no patience, easily frustrated and big fingers is going to go a bit bonkers with this one! Still, it all goes together pretty well, just got to take your time and follow the instructions, no other way really. The only mods that I did was to glaze the windows, I also put a wooden floor on the inside and some extra detail, but you can't really see in. Because it's glazed I opted to brush paint it, I just finished it off with my 'burnishing brush', makes it sort of weathered looking, I'm quite happy with the result, but I still can't take a good photo!!....Dave

mark_1984

« Reply #1244 on: October 29, 2009, 09:37:45 pm »

It might be fiddly Dave, but you've made a good job of it.  I still have that pleasure to look forward to  {:-{

berth44

« Reply #1245 on: October 29, 2009, 09:52:34 pm »

Thanks Mark, always nice to get a positive comment! Think I'll go for the aircraft hangers next, they look like fun!!........Dave

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1246 on: October 30, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »

Back in issue 109 I had one of the boats missing, I contacted the newsagent and they passed it on to
Gordon and Gotch the local distributors, there reply was I would have to repurchase the issue, so I sent
an email to Amati who contacted Hatchetts and they sent me an email saying a new issue was being
sent from England free, so thank you to Amati and Hatchetts, Gordon and Gotch are b*******s........
Fortunately there is still some customer service around, thak you again................

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

berth44

« Reply #1247 on: October 30, 2009, 12:14:22 pm »

Pay for it??, that's a joke!! Glad you got it resolved. In my issue 115, there was nothing wrong with the parts, the issue itself was "xxxxx"!!, the photo's and printing were all over the place, so I phoned the suppliers, Bisset Mags, and as usual were very helpful and told me that it will be replaced as soon as possible..I actually read it!!...Dave

jack123

Re: Kelvin builds the Bismarck
« Reply #1248 on: November 12, 2009, 04:01:45 pm »

Well finaly after many centuries of waiting they have token of the money from my bankaccount
now lets hope that the engines will get here faster ;D

Hi, My name is Jack. I have a question for you. I'm building the Bismarck myself and I was wondering if the engine comes with the magazine o you have to buy it apart from it. If so, how can I buy it? How much is it?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Kelvin builds the Bismarck
« Reply #1249 on: November 12, 2009, 05:41:23 pm »

The motor set is an option, you would have thought at the cover price (Total = £687.12 ) you would have though they would have included, motors, speed controller, radio and a lake!  ok2

The offered set uses gearbox drive, which I don't like: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2830.msg51972#msg51972

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.