Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278840 times)

steamboatbob

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1275 on: January 28, 2010, 01:58:42 pm »

hi richard

from another aussie to another

the superglues i use are
UHU Super (very thick for large brass bits ) from Officeworks
Zap (thin for the fine brass bits) from most hobby stores
Waterproof PVA
Titebond 3 Ultimate
All the major hull framework i used Araldite 24hr
and will be finishing it off in epoxy resin (fibreglass resin does the same job)
and ill try to dig up a paint chart for youi know i have one somewhare in this stupid computer it tells you the best matching paints from different hobby brands to the RAL Number

and the two part filler i just used car body filler and used a very small amount of hardener

PM me if you run into probs 

dano48

« Reply #1276 on: January 29, 2010, 01:29:47 pm »

Thanks Steamboatbob,  :-)) that gives me a very usefull reference where to start, I still have a couple of months before I get the last parts of it, I will get all the goodies ready, the only thing I'm not sure is how to use the epoxy resin or fiberglass, but I have some time to go before I get to that stage, so I'll do my home work with google and see what happens, thanks Mate :} , Richard.

steamboatbob

« Reply #1277 on: January 29, 2010, 10:44:33 pm »

I for one will be starting once I have all the parts sent out to me then im not waiting on next months supply to keep me interested :-))

dano48

« Reply #1278 on: January 30, 2010, 06:34:01 am »

Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for  :} , regarding your paint colour chart, I found this on the net, http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101.html#, is a reference to different brands and their equivalents, very impressive I thought,  :-))

WillemNdeJong

Re: Photos on the Forum & Resizing
« Reply #1279 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »

Dear Martin,

My name is Willem de Jong, I live in Haarlem (Holland) and as a former Dutch Navy man I am building the Dutch cruiser Hr.Ms. DeRuyter C801 from original drawings. As I have no routine in modelbuilding I took the opportunity to build the Bismarck first to learn from it. In this respect I enthusiastically followed your whereabouts  the Bismarck. But than it was necessary to join the forum to see the images going along with the building. Being a complete dummy with computer things I lost it. Could you please tell me what to do to follow your building again. I would very much appreciate that.
Thanking you in advance for your answer,

Kind regards,
Willem

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1280 on: February 26, 2010, 03:55:23 pm »

I hope to get going with the Bismarck again later this year... I took on a Graupner
Pegasus build for some and have regretted every minute I spent of it.  >:-o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bubbles

« Reply #1281 on: March 09, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »

yes £4.99 per mag and theres 147 issues i've started it got about 40 issues left to go.

jedonic

« Reply #1282 on: March 27, 2010, 08:38:45 am »

I have been reading with intrest all the comments about the Bismark model, well I guess I may be fortunate as I am up to issue 138 "and all is well"  no shortages or wrong parts and all bits have fitted perfactly, painting has been completed and all that is left is the final assembly.  So don"t be disharted to much it will work out ok, my only negative comment there are a resonable amount of etched brass parts left over that ane not placed on the model, I can"see the reason for that, but so far so good.
I am in Australia and have had no trouble with the issues all have been on time and complete. Ian.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1283 on: March 27, 2010, 06:52:40 pm »

Well done sir! Any photos?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

jedonic

« Reply #1284 on: March 29, 2010, 07:39:23 am »

Just received issue 137 of the Bismark and all is well everything fits no shortages etc looking great
Jedonic

Skidmarks

• Shipmate
« Reply #1285 on: April 02, 2010, 03:30:36 pm »

Have painted hull with a Humbol 'primer 1' grey acrylic aerosol spray and just finished the main mast but feel that to use an aerosol on that will not give a sufficiently fine spray for such an intricate part and no doubt lots more the same!?. So, have lashed out on an airbrush but cannot get a 'primer 1' in the Humbrol 12ml range, just a #64.  Seems to me I will be using lots of 12ml tins so do you know of a UK suppleire of larger than 12ml tins of acrylic paint please?

taffy52

« Reply #1286 on: April 11, 2010, 02:24:47 pm »

Hi the robbe sub build has brrn put on the back burner, picked up the hatchette bismarck all 140 issues plus partly built boat, glues, paint etc for £40 did have to do a 300 mile round trip to collect but still worth it,good old ebay,may have to repaint some parts but planking all done and super structure done too,

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1287 on: April 11, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »

£40????  %)

Dave stone

« Reply #1288 on: April 27, 2010, 01:56:31 am »

Hello all.
 I have been lurking in the background here for some time and have been working on my own build of the Bismarck.

I have a few questions on the R/C end of things.

I have decided not to get the R/C kit that comes at added cost with this model and intend to get this gear myself.

The Question I have is what would you recommend and since it is not the R/C gear that comes with the Model what modifications will I need to do to fit her out?

I tended to build plastic kits around 1/350 scale so the photo etch, and scratch building etc is nothing new to me but the R/C end of things is.

Ps: I hope that all made sense.

Thanks Dave

mark_1984

« Reply #1289 on: April 27, 2010, 10:05:14 am »

It's difficult to answer as there are quite a few options.  E.g.  Gears or direct drive motors, 2 or 3 motors, etc.  However, there is some quite good info over on my Bismarck forum.  Have a look at this section of the forum http://buildthebismark.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=markus

Cheers
Mark

Dave stone

« Reply #1290 on: April 27, 2010, 10:37:39 am »

thank you Mark I will take a look.
I think direct drive and only two motors would be the best idea as I think the wight of three would have her sitting low in the water and she really has no need of the extra speed the third motor would give her  %%

mark_1984

« Reply #1291 on: April 27, 2010, 10:46:30 am »

I don't think the weight will be a problem, but as you say, she doesn't really need the extra power, and it's quite tricky fitted a centre line motor ans the shaft has to go through the keel.  Personally I'm going to fit the Hachette motors, but have lowered them to get a more scale appearance,  I'm also fitting scale props and rudders.  Two speed controllers and an on board V-tail mixer will give some differential steering by varying the motor speed to overcome the limited steering from the scale rudders.

Other people on my forum have fitted direct drive motors with 2 or 3 motors, so you should find some useful info.

Dave stone

« Reply #1292 on: April 27, 2010, 10:56:47 am »

hmmm interesting. Maybe I should get the kit R/C setup as I have not worked with R/C before it maybe a good ideea to wprk with a kit that explains things step by step  O0

lol Ah decisions

either way I have a few part fit issues to solve yet but I do not see that as much of a problem after the hell I went through getting a twist out of the bow area.
I almost feel it would have been better to get full length planks to do the hull so there was never a chance for it to happen in the first place.

May have just been me but I have the feeling I am not the only one who has had this happen.

Three small pics of a build I have just fin... sorryb they are small as they are off my cell phone

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1293 on: May 15, 2010, 01:09:36 am »

I have searched many sites and photos showing the Bismarck main guns forward,
no one photo shows the siting gun mounted on the upper forward gun that is shown
in the Hatchette plans, what is everyone's opinion on this dilemma...........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1294 on: May 15, 2010, 08:39:28 am »

Not sure which gun you're referring to, which issue are the parts in?

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1295 on: May 15, 2010, 02:08:43 pm »

Martin,

They are made in an earlier issue but the positioning is in Mag 140.

Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1296 on: May 15, 2010, 07:19:32 pm »

mark_1984

« Reply #1297 on: May 15, 2010, 09:48:01 pm »

Step 86.

Never seen it on any drawings or photos.

Personally I think it looks silly, so I probably wouldn't fit it even if it is supposed to be there !

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #1298 on: May 16, 2010, 01:05:07 am »

Mark is correct Martin, it does seem very strange to have a gun mounted on a gun,
never seen it before or heard of it, tossing up whether to attach it or not..........

Roy

Hilux5972

« Reply #1299 on: May 16, 2010, 02:33:01 am »

From what i have read somewhere, it was mounted there but removed prior to Operation Rheinubung. Im not 100% sure where i read this, but i definately remember reading it.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.