Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278876 times)

Propslip

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #1350 on: February 17, 2011, 11:04:15 am »

I am glad to see all these bismarcks nearing completion. I decided to wait & let everyone else sort out the teething problems & hopefully pick a complete set up later. I was lucky & a week or two back picked up the complete 140 issues unopened for £160 :-) on ebay. Bought a set of JB gun barrels, very fast too & a couple of reference books so now all I have to do is build it & wait another 5 years for the Hood maybe!!

rsm

« Reply #1351 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13:53 am »

You won't need to wait that long for a Hood to go with your Bismarck!!!!!!!!  :-))

http://www.buildhmshood.com/

Propslip

« Reply #1352 on: February 17, 2011, 11:21:09 am »

I will if I want to pick it up for £160 squid :-))

NMJH

« Reply #1353 on: April 07, 2011, 04:03:29 am »

building my Bismark, i have trouble doing Planks, the tacks i use, are hard put in, to keep planks in place, the clamps i got, dont fit in areas i'd like them 2, the lukabands i have, arnt really useful

I'm up to issue 13, can someone please help me on how i can do this well? really bothering me lol...

Eric65

« Reply #1354 on: April 15, 2011, 10:17:13 pm »

NMJH, I used dress making pins for the first layer of planks, the ones with the coloured plasic blobs on the ends.

They are hard to put in by hand, so I used a pair of pointy pliars to put them in with. Make sure you scrape off excess glue on the ribs from the last plank you put on, sometimes some can ooze out, harden and make the next plank sit a bit proud, you need the plank to lie flat on the rib.

Sand the planking smooth before second planking, it dosn't need to be pretty or perfect, all will be hidden by the second layer, but it does need to be smooth.

Fot the second layer planks I bought clamps, they needed a small hole drilled into the first layer planks and ribs or they could split them. Make sure you put the clamps in where the rib is so it gets a good grip. The advantage of using clamps is that there will be no holes in the top layer of planks.
It is even more vital that you clean off excess glue when second planking, you don't want planks sitting proud, gives you extra work sanding down!

Good luck, take your time, and be ready to do a lot of sanding when finished!

Eric.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1355 on: May 24, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »

Hi Richard,

Have you seen my "build"? - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4024.msg39250#msg39250

Sorry to bother you Martin...
I've joined this website in order to get help for my Bismarck and I found your excellent guide with a lot of info and pictures.
Can you please tell me why I only see the first 2 pages from your build?
On the second page, your last messages is:
Any Advice or comments here please.>>>    Here!                                                   
 NB: To view the images from now on, you need to join the Forum!

Martin   

Thank you very much! Good day.
Jim

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1356 on: May 25, 2011, 09:42:10 pm »

Sorry Martin, my Bismarck build has been on hold for some time now.....  {:-{

Have you seen:

http://buildthebismark.proboards.com/index.cgi?
http://www.subifa.de/heftvorschau/die_bismarck_h140.htm
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

thebackways

• Shipmate
« Reply #1357 on: May 30, 2011, 03:28:05 am »

ive recived a biskmark hull with the models my stepdad left me, shes unfinished and planked ( very badly ) shes also filled with medical bandage ( as opposed to the gauze the mag suggests )
the outer planks are peeling away in some segmants, and ive only a few parts for the superstructure >_<

Coaster

« Reply #1358 on: July 12, 2011, 05:13:08 pm »

Hi everybody!
I've just joined the forum as I was impressed by the amount of work and advice that has been given on the Bismarck.
I have just bought the kit from a charity shop(!) which had been given the hull and most of the parts by someone who had given up for some reason.  He had started the hull and done most of the first planking but it is done very badly and I have started to remove as much as I can, not an easy job, has anybody any advice on this?
The forum seems to have gone a bit dead on Bismarck, perhaps the guy who had mine was not the only one to give up!
I was told by the shop that all the parts were there but I have found that 129 and 130 are missing, has anybody got any they could sell me?  I keep looking on ebay without success.
This is not my first plank on frame model but all the brasswork certainly makes it look different
I look forward to getting on with the build.
Best wishes to all.
Warren

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1359 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:55 pm »

Hi Warren,
Welcome to the Mayhem!

I was one that gave up..... I was enjoying the build but they (Hachett) certainly didn't make it an easy build but
 strangely, overcoming the problem was mostly what I enjoyed of my build before I stopped.

It is a very good project and you will enjoy the build, especially it the hull is finished and in good shape, if it isn't, stop
 and spend the time getting a glass like finish BEFORE starting on the upper works.

Missing issues often appear on ebay, set up a [saved search[ for "Build the Bismarck" - it's also being published if other
 countries so ordering those two issues "shouldn't" be a real problem.

What are you doing for the motor set up?

This is what a good hull looks like... unfortunately not mine.....  {:-{

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1360 on: July 27, 2011, 09:42:11 pm »

Would anyone one like the History of The Bismarck and other literature that came with the subscription as I'm moving abroad, well home, and it weighs too much, besides, I have several books on the topic.

Send pm and can arrange local pick up, hopefully.

Robert

Redcap

« Reply #1361 on: August 25, 2011, 08:19:01 pm »

Newbie to this Forum.  Thought I'd better get myself joined up to somewhere where I can get some advice from serious boat builders. I started the Deagostini Hood which of course went Kaput, so have just signed up for the Hachette Hood. Rather daunting task for me as up until a couple of years back, I was strictly into plastic ship modelling, usually 1/350 though I did the resin cast  6ft long Accurate Armour Type VII U-Boat which was fun.

Anyhow, my very first attempt at wood modelling was the Hachette Bismarck. I just don't have the skills required to produce a "sailing" r/c model, and decide to try something different and "waterline" it. Didn't fancy sawing through the completed full hull, so I got a large block of polystyrene foam and carved out a recess for the hull. With the hull set into the foam, I sculpted waves from polyfilla and painted them up, then "cased" the whole base in wood, stained and varnished and used brass angle strip for the corners.

If nothing else it gave me the confidence to try another wood build and hopfully the Hood will make a nice companion for it. May well do Hood in a waterline setting also.

Hope you like it. By the way, the thing sitting against the hull towards the stern is a WW2 German Navy Fleet Service Badge as issued to Bismarck crew members.

Redcap

« Reply #1362 on: August 25, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »

Some close ups.

Redcap

« Reply #1363 on: August 25, 2011, 08:21:52 pm »

Midships

Redcap

« Reply #1364 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:30 pm »

You can just make out a few crew figures. These are actually the little which plastic figures that are sold as "architectural figures" that are used with architects models of buildings to show scale.  Little white plastic businessmen in double breasted suits make quite passable naval officers when painted dark blue  ok2

richtea

« Reply #1365 on: August 25, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »

Nice build Redcap,
I'm sure you will make a fine job of Hood.
Just take your time and remember it's supposed to be FUN and RELAXATION.
Regards
Richard  :-))

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1366 on: September 07, 2011, 01:31:53 pm »

Superb detail there, are you doing Hood aswell?
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Redcap

« Reply #1367 on: September 20, 2011, 10:36:20 am »

Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes, doing the Hood as well. Started off with the De Agostini whicxh of course was cancelled so have now started the Hachetteversion. Kinda glad that it turned out that way as I am confident that the Hachette version will be superior.
Will "waterline" the Hood to. Just got to find somewhere to put it when its built !

Philipsparker

« Reply #1368 on: October 19, 2011, 08:39:51 am »

Photos of a nice, finished, Bismark here:

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/2011/10/built-bismark.html

Phil

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1369 on: March 25, 2012, 08:04:32 pm »

Not cheap but complete...

HACHETTE - Build The Bismarck COMPLETE ISSUES 1 to 140 - £375

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HACHETTE-Build-Bismarck-COMPLETE-ISSUES-1-140-/330704209988?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item4cff81c844

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #1370 on: April 27, 2012, 11:42:50 pm »

I thought you might like to see a 1:100 Bismark sailing on Albert Park lake last weekend.
(Yes, where the Australian GP takes place and TF 72 sail)
Not quite finished but it apparently took 42 days to get to this stage by a first time builder.
We did tell him that it is supposed to take years to build a battleship but he thought he could finish it in another week.
Absolutly fantastic paint finish and the electrics etc. were beautiful to see.
If the full size ship had the speed and manouverability of the model she would never have been caught!
He is planning a whole fleet including an Anzac frigate and several other battleships in the next year.

billg

• Shipmate
« Reply #1371 on: April 28, 2012, 01:57:10 am »

I thought you might like to see a 1:100 Bismark sailing on Albert Park lake last weekend.
(Yes, where the Australian GP takes place and TF 72 sail)
Not quite finished but it apparently took 42 days to get to this stage by a first time builder.
We did tell him that it is supposed to take years to build a battleship but he thought he could finish it in another week.
Absolutly fantastic paint finish and the electrics etc. were beautiful to see.
If the full size ship had the speed and manouverability of the model she would never have been caught!
He is planning a whole fleet including an Anzac frigate and several other battleships in the next year.

42 days jeez, it takes me a day to even contemplate cutting out a piece of wood or tackle the etch work
looks absolutely brilliant

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1372 on: April 28, 2012, 11:48:01 am »

42 days?!?  - That Krishna territory!  ok2

Alexandr

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1373 on: November 18, 2012, 05:26:33 pm »

Please advertise your wares in the Traders Section or better still become a sponsor of the Mayhem Forum.

Bob

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #1374 on: November 18, 2012, 07:59:34 pm »

42 days?!?  - That Krishna territory!  ok2

In terms of the time, yes.

If Krishna were doing it, it'd be 42 days and about £3.  O0

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.