Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 57   Go Down

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278799 times)

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 11:16:57 am »

There is this-www.buildthebismarck.co.uk run by the same bloke who has several other site eg buidthe titanic and the red barons triplane it has week by week photos links to german sites due to them being months in front and a fledgling forum very good so far the titanic site is very good it has  :)
badly raised and ill mannered.

jinks8

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2007, 08:53:44 pm »

hear hear Leaky sum building the kit did not have a clue a bout the glue this has cum to light in the chatter on build the Bismark site i think they should put a note in the next 2 or 3  issues to let them know.                                                                                                                                                        For me i have quite a bit of stuff hanging around tx rx and a load of other bits and bob. making it water tight will be on moor challenging than  other wood built boat and as for running gear, on different to most ships that have have to be adapted be it on a larger scale. Well that is the way i look at it i have seen sum on the German's with 3 motors i can only surmise that they have got them all in their bits as their are different sizes of motors in different boats, sum one was on about having to drill holes in the frame when the trunk is glued up well do it before and drill them bigger than you would  to give room for adjustment to be made.                                                                                                                                                                                          IF you know you are  going to put it on the water you plan for this ,  at least i am people are all so talking about changing the rudders and props one lot or running and one lot for display that is crazy putting more problems in the way when it is not on the water it will only the that is not wright brigade  and expert,s will spot the difference I think people have to make mountens out of mole hills . That is not to say it will be a piece of cake i think not.Mine so far no probs yet

Down below

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2007, 12:45:43 pm »

Hope this info help's.....These are the Tips & Build problems being reported via Germany that fall within the first 27 issues, at least us here have advance info to make informed decision's :)

1. Ensure the Keel is constructed straight and if possible use a building Jig.

2. Assemble the frames at right-angles, this is important otherwise the Hull could take on the shape of a banana.

3. Frame 33 (at the Bow) seems to be too wide and too long when compared with the original data from the Bismarck, Hachette have not supplied the Bow yet so we can't be sure re any alteration's that may be necessary at that point.

4. Issue 14 contain's the resin part D, some have found that this part is too small so they have cut it in half and enlarged it by a few mm.
If you do this then be aware that frame 43a may then not have the correct fit for resin part D.
Some complained to Hachette and received a replacement resin part D, this part in some cases has been found to differ in dimension's probaly as a result of the moulding process.
So the advice is you should carefuly examine resin part D regarding it's fit and size and decide what to do from there.

5. Resin part 70 (stern) supplied with issue 23 will have to be corrected if you want a true scale look, the hole where the Anchor is inserted is in the wrong place.
If you look at original photo's of the Bismarck you will notice that the Anchor must be placed much higher.
If you wish you can reduce some of part 66 (with issue 21) to make the Stern higher, or you can use filler and close the hole and then re drill/relocate the Anchor position, also some modellers have sanded down the Deck by about 1-2mm and replaced the Stern.

6. After the first set of width planking of the Hull, the width at this point is the correct size for the scale, however with the addtion of a second width planking (around issue 44) this will make the Hull wider and as a result out of scale.
The second planking appears to be for the RC builders to strengthen the Hull, those building the static version have a choice.

7. Planking of the Bow will be a difficult process, the strips can be cut in half or soaked in water to make easier the bending task, these should then be pinned in place whilst the glue dry's using modelling pin's or very fine pin nails.

8. There are reports of the Stern frame 43a possibly being of the wrong dimensions or its incorrect manufacture, this is because when it comes to plank the Stern some reports advise that they have found that if you plank direct to the outline of 43a you end up with a depression spanning this point.
This can be easily overcome by carefully packing out the 43a frame edge with wood scraps so they jump the gap when the planks are located onto this former, the planks should smoothly flow across the Hull without being depressed.
Not all have found this problem so it is likey to be a few poorly manufactured 43a frames that have slipped the net or even possibly as a result of poor construction.

9. Hachette are to supply only two motors for the RC version, this means that only two of it's three propeller's will be active, the third (central) propeller will remain static but will give the appearance of the original ship's design.
If you do want to have an operating centre prop then you should start thinking about this early on with a view to sourcing the extra motor & parts etc you will need, you will also need to consider the ESC & wiring for this as that what is to be suplied may not be suitable, in addition to this also how a central prop might act on its steering once in water.
Issue 8 comes with Keel parts for the Stern, this is probably the time to look very closely at the installation of a third (central) motor & prop shaft.

Motor's etc are obviously not a problem for the static builders of this model as the series comes with all you need to replicate the original ship.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

Well my first 3 parts have turned up - unfortunately 1, 2 & 4!
I'll also start a build blog when part 3 turns up....

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2007, 07:37:32 pm »

Why are we (you) re-hashing these old subjects? Life is confusing enough without thinking "I have seen this before" and not wondering if it is just a case of senile deja-vu. Put this oldie out of his trepidation and explain...or not.
Notes from a simple seaman

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »

Brian

I think there is no such thing as an old subject, just a dormant one. If any member feels he has something to add to a dormant thread he is, of course, at liberty to add to it. This allows those of us with myopic memories to read again what we have forgotten (or not as the case may be).

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2007, 03:47:47 am »

Some people will be very interested in seeing this build.
Despite what others may think of the project.

The concept of partworks created so much controversy it will be good to see this thread develop.
I for one am very interested, even though I have no interest in warships. Nor am I a fan of partworks.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

kendalboatsman

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2007, 07:23:30 am »

I too am interested in seeing how the model develops, keep up the updates on the build chaps.

Clive :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2007, 11:55:44 am »

For me it's the concept and the constrution technique..... not the subject.

.....and the fact you Could Possibly pay for a very expensive kit "on the cheap".... even trick the Mrs!  ::) 
Well not mine...  :-\

Martin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2007, 01:32:33 pm »

I would also like to know what other content if any is in the magazine portion.
It could be a lot of interesting history/tech details on a plate.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2007, 07:33:47 pm »

For me it's the concept and the constrution technique..... not the subject.

Hi all, I have to agree with Martin's above statement - its always good to see how another person builds/manufactures something.  You can always learn from it and adapt it to your way of building. 

One thing that did come mind for me was, a friend who I used to work with once built a sailing ship from a magazine which gave free parts every week.  What he did was, he copied everything, all the frames and etc., and then he bought some planking.   My friend ended up making two models.  One model which was from the magazine he made complete, the second model which he constructed - he made it as only half a model which showed all the internal detail.   Obviously, it may be slightly more difficult to do with this magazine build as there may be I should imagine, lots of resin fittings.   However, I should think you could overcome that.   Mind, it would be nice to see two models built - one working and one for display with the internal structure visible.

Food for thought again...keep the pics coming please.   We can then see how the build progresses.

Aye
John E
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Daryl

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2007, 09:38:02 pm »

Hi John,
DelPrado did that with their HMV Bounty a while back, the port side had a section which you could remove showing the internal compartments. Not a bad kit but the instructions were not clear in places. The part work ran for 105 issues. I still havn't got around to finishing it as the rigging instruction was boardering on the gibberish, must get it out one day and finish it.

Daryl

Daryl

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2007, 06:36:48 pm »

I have jsut read on www.buildthebismarck.co.uk forum that someone has a letter with his issue 4 that states Hatchette is cancelling the series. He has scanned the letter and published it on the site. The letter looks ok and offer a refund if you send the mag covers or a gift. As my son has just started subscribing we havn't had issue 4 yet? Anyone else subscribe and has received this letter? Apparently WH Smiths sold to order issue 8 last wednesday and at the bottom of the letter is did say this applies to the UK only. Tommorrow I'll give them a ring but normally its a long wait on the telephone queing system.

Daryl

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2007, 09:22:52 am »

Just phoned Hachette and have been told that the letter was sent out in error,i can hear the i told you so's already its a bad error as they go-some sort of explanation would be nice though.Can someone else confirm this please as i had to call twice as the call centre is obviously abroad and i had a bit of trouble being understood the first time. ???

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2007, 09:25:51 am »

What part / issue  is everybody up to?
I've received parts 1, 2 & 4, are the issue arriving regularly and on time?

Martin.

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2007, 10:31:04 am »

just got part 2&3 seems subscribers start slow then catch up in a while seems to be a similair story on the build the titanic i have to admit after being enthusiastic im slightly disappointed it does not bode well, but nil carborundum as we say where i work

Daryl

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2007, 10:36:47 am »

We have had parts 1, 2&3, we are waiting for 4 etc. I have heard that they send them out on the 28th of each month?

Daryl

Daryl

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2007, 02:10:01 pm »

I hate dealing with foreign call centres they don't seem to understand a word you say to them, or is that just me!!

They say issues 4-7 have just been dispatched and I should receive them in the next two days. They also said the bank rejected my payment card details, rightly so as the details they had didn't belong to me. So I need to scruitinise my bank statement even more closely than usual.

The letter some people have received was sent out in error, I bet someone is now looking for a new job.

Daryl

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2007, 06:09:20 am »

I am all for keeping up the installments. I think Tiger can agree with me that this is far better than watching any Chinese TV drama unfold!!   ::)

Am curious how your builds go & as well the satisfaction you have in this type of kit.   Personally for me, the notion of having to depend on the mail to deliver my next installment of parts would drive me nuts!   :o

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2007, 10:57:37 pm »

Well after weeks of delays, hiccups and phone calls to the magazine people, I'm now only 2 months behind with parts 5, 6, 7 & 8 in the post I'm assured. So with the first 4 parts now to hand I've decided to make a start.... build    HERE!      

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2007, 10:07:23 am »

Re: Martin builds a Bismark! - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4024.0

I DO like the line:   "For Authenticity your Model is made from: Birchwood ply."

(Images of Blohm and Voss yards in 1936 covered in huge sheets of plywood...)
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2007, 10:11:15 am »

Wood is first class quality.
(NB: I've never built a wooden model before! )

Those two lines rang faint alarm bells. As a scratch builder, my experience of modern kits is much less than yours, but I do help out friends and clubmates with building queries from time to time, and a very common problem seems to be getting adhesives to bond wood items that have been laser cut. It seems to depend on what type of glue you use, possibly also on how good the cutting was, but I've seen a few examples where the black deposit left by the laser can act as a pretty effective release agent. Of course, the extra work involved in removing most of the burned surface before applying glue, more or less negates the advantage of having the parts pre-cut in the first place. Don't want to worry you needlessly Martin, you may well be OK with the aliphatic glue you're using, but I'd suggest applying a modicum of force to one or two joints, just to make sure that you aren't building problems into the model.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Cargo

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2007, 10:04:04 am »

Good luck Martin and may the time-force be with you!  ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2007, 01:48:32 pm »

Hi ammo,
Why do you recommend "removing the burned surface"?
There is no ash or the like and glue seems to stick very well.....

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2007, 04:09:25 pm »

Hi ammo,
Why do you recommend "removing the burned surface"?
There is no ash or the like and glue seems to stick very well.....

Well, I did qualify my post by making it clear that I was some way from being an expert on today's kits and their component parts. I've seen examples of laser cutting though, almost certainly not very good laser cutting, where all the  cut edges had a coating of black dust like fine soot that came off on your finger, and some glues CA in particular wouldn't bond very well at all. I said that I didn't want to worry you needlessly, and if flexing your Bismarck doesn't reduce it to the laser-cut parts you started with, you should be in the clear. So! Alles in ordnung, mein kleiner Schiffbauer!

caution, may contain traces of nuts .....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.