Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 57   Go Down

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278899 times)

Down below

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2007, 10:43:54 am »

The worry is neither have Thunder Tiger re a wooden boat build, they manufacture nitro engines, model planes, cars, helicopters, ABS & fibreglass hulled boats but no wooden boat builds and certainly no static stuff.....Oh and a I see they now have a Jacques Cousteau type Sub on the go which seems to have a high spec in that you can watch video link footage of it journey via a 2.5" screen on the hand set....very innovative and great if its clear water or in a swimming pool!

Quite often static display models do not make good RC conversion's so it make's you wonder what the outcome will be, having said that surely there must be an actual prototype in existence other than what is generated electronically as quite often these days that is all that exists until production, this does not necessarily mean all will be ok with the end result.

I agree, quality so far is good, but then again we are spoilt with this model being Amati product, just hope they keep it up and the RC variant does not let the side down with problems.

Down below

« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2007, 10:50:57 am »

I have just had a quick troll throught he web for r/c models for ther Bismarck at 1/200. It appears that they weigh around 10kg.

Junior and I too have the impression that the r/cc ideas was a last minute thing, but we like challengies and amati normally produce good quality kits. At least we can spread the cost over 3-4 years which has the approvial of swmbo.

Daryl

Yeah I suppose that the attraction of partworks in that you dont have to lay out all the dosh in one go and they do seem to be addictive, most are aware they are not good value for money, though I always say if it introduces new blood into any hobby then they cant be a bad thing!
I guess not far off the end of the series you will see this kit on sale via Amati as they did this with with the Titanic they did previously for Hachette.....wonder what the pricing will be set against the £700 Hachette tag....250-300?....you never know it might be under the 200 mark!

Daryl

« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2007, 11:02:36 am »

Euromodels ( excellent highly recommended) are not far from where I live, they distribute Amati kits, also they use the same designer for their victory series as Amati does for some of their kits. I'll have a quiet word to see if they have an idea of when Amati intend to produce the kit commercially.

I too wonder how far Amati etc have got with their pre-production kit, weight may be a problem. One post on the buildthebismarck forum asks after the hull is planked how do we know where to bore the holes for rudder and prop tube. Hopefully a template will be supplied, but an interesting question, I assume Amati has all this worked out??

How are you getting on Martin?

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2007, 12:10:46 pm »

or could it  be that it is being worked out as they go along ??? ...why said possibly a Hatchet Job!

Only me n you here it seems, cummon Martin n others what you think?

Daryl

« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2007, 12:16:18 pm »

I thought that there were at least 5 people on this forum having a go at this kit? or are they still on the 'phone to SA.

I have found Lasseks web site.
http://www.modellbau-lassek.de/202.htm

I did a google translate but is it me but I can't find anything that is the same scale as the Hachette build? I thought they would be advertising it as this kit seems popular in Germany and the buildthebismarck.co.uk crowd are allways talking about them?

Daryl

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2007, 12:30:56 pm »

Rang "Hachett" again this morning;

"You didn't received issue 7?  I'll order that again for you now.
I'll also order 9,10,11&12 as they should have gone out too."

I won't hold my breath....  :-\

Martin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Daryl

« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2007, 12:33:52 pm »

which number did you ring Martin? have you tried the UK number Down Below kindly supplied. It worked wonders for me.

Also junior has said the supports for the frames at teh front is a bit tight to say the least!

Daryl

Cargo

« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2007, 12:55:06 pm »

Daryl, Lassek has kits but not from the Bismark. He has for the Bismark fittings and parts of the superstructure, scale 1:100.

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2007, 01:12:58 pm »

parts7,8,9,10&11 turned up yesterday- busy weekend thinks leaky :D
badly raised and ill mannered.

Daryl

« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2007, 01:34:07 pm »

Thanks jan for letting me know, on one of the uk buildthebismarck forums they are buying rudders and props from them for the Hachette kit. Seems like they might be in for a shock when they try to fit them and find they are twice the size they should be... or have i got it wrong. never heard of Lassek before.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2007, 01:54:34 pm »

The RC props & rudders will not be like the static display ones supplied which are to scale, I suppose you cant have it all ways and compromises have to be made.
I wonder if the brass Lassek props are balanced as three of them together might well shake its ass.....maybe a future TV ad for the Renault Megane ;D

Daryl

« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2007, 02:34:01 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D

I like it, there is a good chance when a lot of the keel is cut away for the third prop tube.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2007, 03:20:35 pm »

He does say there were some vibaration problems at high speed with the props running dry, but the vibes go when he had the hull in the water....a sort of dampening effect which the water seems to soak up, so its not gone just soaked up.
Not sure how he came to figure this as his hull for the Bismarck is not yet sealed nor ready for water though he may be talking of the Titanic he did previously, so he is already anticipating vibes for the Bis....the sound of the Beachboys blasting thru the decks maybe? ;D

For those going the three prop route, drilling down the end of resin stern centre prop shaft plate (supplied in 14) wont be an easy task, its such an odd shape and delicate item to get to grips with, I bet many will end up with this part in pieces in the process or the hole drilled out of square...There is no mention from him of having to do this if you want three operating props...am sure the task will daunt some, hope he has set aside many hours sat at the PC emailing support to these guys ::)

Daryl

« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2007, 03:31:53 pm »

I notice the german guy has used his own planks and not the one's supplied, more scope for a disaster by any novice. On page 4 of the r/c conversion thread he lists th parts people can obtain from him and the prices. interesting reading. He mentions getting the props and rudders from lassek, but I can't see anything on their site for 1/200 and Jan confirms this.

One thing the uk buildthebismarck site is entertaining, I havn't laughed so much for ages. The German guy does seem to know what he is doing which is more than can be said for some of the people on their.

I wonder how many fiascos will get posted as people start hacking around with a drill trying to get a hole dead centre. time for Hachette to stock up, more likly they will not be too enthusiastic in sending out replacement parts if they know someone has deviated from their good instructions.

Daryl

Daryl

« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2007, 03:37:13 pm »

Just had a look at the uk bismarck site and a character called stevo has posted some wise words which is don't deviate from the Hachette instructions to install r/c gear unless you are sure you know what youa re doing and it may be wise to wait until Hachette says something than rush ahead.

I wonder how amny will head his good advice

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2007, 03:50:14 pm »

Well I suppose its personal choice what you do and how you do it afterall you can do your own thing if you think you know better.

With subscribers for parts broken by themselves the ususal method seems to be saying it arrived busted so you get a freeby :o

Well time will only tell, but what I find strange is the odd few who seemed to make a mess of pervious partworks such as the Titanic have gone to take this on and still voicing questions that are answered in the mag that is if they care to read it, so what makes this kit any different than what they have ended up with previously?.....another project heading for the bin bag in quite a few cases as a project such as this is most definately a labour of love especially when you have 8 mags in the trot packed full of chuffin planks :-X

Daryl

« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2007, 04:15:52 pm »

EIGHT!!!!!
junior has some fun coming his way, when I did the bounty I got fed up after a while with the little darlings and that model was smaller than this one. Oh well it keeps him quiet ;D ;D ;D

I agree about the previous people tackling this one when they have made hard work of the titanic. Junior does this as I do for the enjoyment.

Ihave read some posts which have said the quality of the planks is variable with different thicknesses and some tapered. The bundle junior had with part 10 seemed ok. wonder when we shall get anymore?

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2007, 04:56:13 pm »

Well when I say eight there must be around 16 in total as the hull is double skinned :(

I just do these things out og the sheer love for modelling though dont do too many partworks unless it is something very special that you cant buy off the shelf like the Red Barron plane was, I really enjoyed building that model simply for the detal it has.

Hopefully you will get more Bis issue's soon and all your problemsresolved with hopefully no more to come, or is that being too hopeful and too much to ask?

Daryl

« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2007, 05:01:32 pm »

thats exactly the reason junior and I build becouse we enjoy it, we also enjoy sailing them after. This part work caught his eye so it seemed like a good idea. He does get enormious pleasure which makes it all worthwhile.

Daryl

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2007, 09:29:47 am »

built up to issue 9 but even though ive used weights to hold it all down flat and clamped the frames exactly when i release all the clamps and weights it doesnt sit flat to the bench (which is flat) this is my first wooden kit -HELP :'( :'( :'( :'(

Down below

« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2007, 10:09:49 am »

Cant see any reason as to why it should not sit flat on the board if it was glued & clamped to a flat level surface, were the parts badly warped before clamping? Badly warped parts can pull a structure out of shape when clamps are released, are you storing the structure in damp or humid conditions as this can also induce warping.
When you say sit flat, take it you mean the hull bottom flat on the surface and not the deck surface flat on the board, the deck has a slight bow in it from end to end which is correct so it wont sit flat on the board on that surface, hope you did not glue & clamp the deck side to the board as you now have a major problem to sort as in effect you will have incorporated the deck bow into the hull.

Daryl, have you seen the latest on the other side re the German RC installation, looks like some are already struggling, but nice to see the guy has come out and made it clear re the complexity of what he is doing, even says he thinks the kit is for 'advanced model builders' especially for those wanting to go down his route which I cant agree more.

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2007, 10:59:31 am »

No its the hull floor that wont sit flat ,its not much about 1mm at worst it wasn't clamped to the board but it was weighted down.Damp or humid that may be it its inside the house but what with the recent deluges and subsequent heat you have got me thinking Ive followed the instructions to the letter I'm at work now ill re assess when i get home thanks anyway ;)

Daryl

« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2007, 01:21:31 pm »

Hi Down Below,
Yes I seen his post and agree, it is not a kit for a novice even with the good instructions, and thats before any major modifications. I hope now he helps those people who have bought kit from him and is struggling to install it. what he is doing is very good and shows he is experianced moddeller. I am still puzzeled over the Lassek connection I can't find on their web site anything which is 1/200 scale in the way of props and rudders. Perhaps it is items they make just for this series in small batches.

One disadvantage as I see from partworks apart from the total cost is you can't see far ahead to see if any problems are lurking, this I feel is important if you deviate from the instructions.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2007, 05:56:56 pm »

Its always the case with partworks, fortunately for us the guys in Germany have been posting what comes in each mag in advance of us getting to to see them as they are are around 25 mags in front, better still they will hit any problems before us and no doubt report them accordingly, its a good them being the guinea pigs, I dont mean that nastily ;)

The other problem with partworks is they have habbit of extending series beyond the initiall number of issues stated, this can be as high as another 20 or so mags and are usually what they call upgrades or go faster bits...maybe a third motor set of parts who knows, could be a seriously long series if they do!

Leaky, with a little luck if you plank the hull with it clamped or weighted to the build surface as much as poss, the planking once fixed might just take out the hull base warp, just make sure you plank alternately on each hull side as you might end up with a banana ;)

What you think Daryl/Martin any other ideas?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.