Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 57   Go Down

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278912 times)

Daryl

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2007, 12:02:42 pm »

just noticed a few posts asking is this the correct way to butcher the keel for the third shaft on build.co.uk. does not bode well if people are asking allready if they have got it right.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2007, 01:27:26 pm »

A lot to go at there..

He will only loose sales from those he does not manage to convert as he already has made his money out of those those who get it wrong or right.
I cant say I have looked too closely at his prices, having said that he only needs a small fraction of those building the RC version to jump in with his set-up to be heading out of "Nelson Mandella Tower's" ;D

Jacklins will never change no matter what Hachette tell you, its the nature of there business and do you really think they give an hoot about someone else customers, they are judged on answering calls and lots of them so the more problems the better as calls to there premium rate number must make them a packet, so a conspiracy theory here, do they actually create problems to guarantee callers?

The german guy is certainly not hiding the fact that he is there to push his set-up and supply the components...just one simple thought on that one, he could well be a model shop proprietor discreetly selling his wares :o

I cant see Hachette getting involved, afterall what there customers do re there models is the customers concern, should problem's be brought to Hachette's door that can be identified as to having nothing to do with the mag build then Hachette will simply walk away as would any manufacturer.

Maybe the the webmaster of that site is at a loss for what to do for best :'( 

Maybe Martin is looking on in disbelief ;D 

Daryl

« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2007, 02:04:23 pm »

Good point about the discreet modelshop, I have just read that he sells planking sets. the following I got from his last posted price list

two drive set 60 Euro
three drive set 90 Euro
this seems to include motors( looks like Graupner) brackets U/V joints, shafts and props

Add to this as extras if required

30A esc at 30 Euro
40A at 40 Euro
80A at 50 Euro they look like Mtroniks

condensers at 5 euro

v-mixer at 30 Euro
Y cable at 15 Euro
rudder levers at 15 Euro interesting discription there.
Lassek rudders at 20 euro
Lassek props at 50 Euro
servo mounting set and steel wire to attach to rudders 10 euro
9000mah battery at 12 euro per cell
3 channel Tx with RX  60 Euro
2 channel Tx and Rx 50 Euro

More stuff than my not so local model shop, can add up to quite a bill, he don't mention how much the planking set is and what would the advantage be in using his? the planks we have so far look ok.

He says the prices include postage.

Then we get Hachettes Fred Flintstone gear we havn't seen advertised in the UK.

He seems to denounce the props supplied with the kit, why? they havn't turned up in Germany yet, they might work, who knows.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2007, 02:38:05 pm »

I think his planks will be the full length version, approx twice the length of the mag supplied ones rather than the cut down version being supplied.
It means you can plank over a wide span with less butt joints, most planked wooden boat kits supply the longer length rather than the short ones we are being supplied, suppose its a packaging/breakage issue for Hachette as in effect they would be twice as long as the mags, where poss they will try to supply components that are no larger than the mag size.

Blimey his list does add up, if you went the full monty on his set-up you could be looking at not far off £300... boy there are going to be some disappointed people out there who buy into it and then cant pull it off :'(

Think his denouncement of the Hachette props is from looking at the offer leaflet, they seem like basic black nylon basic props to me, if he is comparing these with the brass Lassek ones then we are talking chalk n cheese so you cant compare like for like, at the end of the day I suppose Hachette are supplying what works as there is no mention of the RC pack being the dogs b*****ks  ;D

;D @ Fred Flintstone....he the man 8)

Daryl

« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2007, 03:37:40 pm »

speaking of props no mention of them yet in  the German previews, I wonder if they are brass and usable. I suspect they are one of the last items supplied. Its the props for the static kit I am thinking of.

I wonder when the German round of the Fast Electric Bismarck racing series will start

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2007, 03:45:34 pm »

For the static display model the props are brass though these are not suitable for the RC version ;)

If you look at the RC offer sheet photos of the stern there is a hell of a compromise to make for the RC vesion and it simply does not look pleasing tom the eye, I plan to try and replicate it as near as poss without detracting from what the RC bits are ment to do, cant have it all ways I suppose....well thats the theory

If you want a laugh have a read of the small print at the bottom of the home page oo the .co.uk site....love the discalimer bit about 'I might make mistakes' and 'the way I'am bulding it may not necessarily be the best way'....so whats the point then of a build forum that dont tie up what it says in the mag ??? confusion all the way me thinks

Daryl

« Reply #231 on: June 13, 2007, 04:19:24 pm »

Mine exactly I allways try to replicate the look of the real thing whilst making the ship work. The picture I have seen of the Hachette r/c bits do look out of place. I noticed that the german guy had a bit of ossillation in his set up, his solution was to put it in water so the h20 could dampen it. Out of sight out of mind I suppose. looks like I'll get some props from G. Sitek, 25mm is close to 23.5mm which is the scale diameter, or the Prop Shop.

I notice our german collegue has had a go at the Titanic I wonder how he got on with that. I saw a guy building one at the Weymouth show looked a nice kit. I also spotted the webmaster of the .co.uk site didn't finish his Titanic, pity I looked at his build which seemed a good job he was doing.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2007, 04:52:03 pm »

Am curious now, have just checked out the .co.uk site webmaster's build for Hachette's Titanic, as you say its not finished and stopped at 92 of 100, fair enough I thought until coming across the below posting which you then find he is already on with the build of another ship and running a build forum for it...Build the Bismarck!

A note on the site as follows:

"Due to personal circumstances I have had to put a hold the building of the Titanic. I'am unsure when I will be able to re-start building this model. I will maintain this site for the forseeable future, and will complete the model when possible. I hope this does not cause any body too much disappointment"

Like you say his build looks good but the plot thickens if you think carefully about it....

The posting re the Titanic being put on hold must have been posted around the time of the Bismarck UK launch as he also notes the exact date of its launch, so you might well ask how did he know the exact date if there is no link between him & Hachette?..... am sure that Hachette closely guards the launch date of all its projects for obvious reasons.

Check the posting detail for yourself http://buildthetitanic.co.uk/home.htm

His other Hachette project The Red Barron plane appears to have been completed, there is also some link to the build for Del Prado's Victory ship and he also seems to be building a working steam loco model, busy guy me thinks or is he some kind of model consultant I wonder?

Daryl

« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2007, 04:59:05 pm »

ummm interesting, this takes up a time, I wonder what he is up to. Lots of projects on the go and information ahead of everyone else, I am thinking if the issue 4 letter as he seemed to have information the rest of the Uk didn't at that time or more accurate.

I think I also found referances to the German guy on one of the Titanic sites. Small world isnt it??

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #234 on: June 13, 2007, 05:29:24 pm »

I bet the german guy near papped himself when the issue 4 letter surfaced ;D ;D

Jeez he is advising on the mag build now, dont these guys read the mag and whats happened to the webmaster who is supposed to be doing the on line build?....that web site is a mess, shame as it started off well!

Am undecided as to what really is behind 'the front' to the on line build, maybe something maybe nothing but one thing does seem aparent its starting to look very suspicious :-\

Daryl

« Reply #235 on: June 13, 2007, 09:18:04 pm »

I agree totally, I have just read with interest, OK laughter, his advice, it seems apparent that the people who are asking the questions didn't read the mag fully. My son does and then passes it to me so I can read the historical stuff. I'll follow the site as the chaos develops, no moderation whatsoever. Its turning into a free advert for German supplied r/c gear, still cheep advertising, but what happens when things go pear shape might turn out interesting.

As you say the online build has come to a halt, if you compaire this site with the .com site it is like chalk and cheese. the .com is relativly quiet with questions that are relativly sensible. I agree the site started off well but has turned into how to install three motors and ignore the instructions.

Might be intersting how this develops, the German guy said in one of his posts he fell out with some continential forums, I wonder what the story there is.

How many will last the course remains to be seen. There seems to be confusion which way to go newsagent or subscription, both has its faults. There are a fair amount of people on that site which seem to be in a rush, I thought this was a relaxing hobby.

I am interested how it all is unfolding, more questions than answers. that site has more twists than a ride at Alton Towers.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2007, 08:07:09 am »

I suspect the german guy departed the continental forums for one reason alone, those who did not love his set-up he slated and those who talked of the Hachette RC pack he also slated.
There is already evidence of the same tact creaping in on the .co.uk site, in one of lhs latest postings he abruptly tells a guy 'nonsense' for asking a simple question about running over the plank lengths at the bow by a few mm, he comes across as you cant tell me anything and those who go the Hachette RC pack are you know whats, so it could be that the guys on the continental forums had a go at him and he spat out his dummmy, it maybe that something in his set-up is not as compatible as he would like to think, sometimes we cam overcomplicate things for the bus of it looking a very technical set-up.

In many cases there does seem to be some urgency to the build, what some dont seemed to have grasped is that this is a 140 week series, so yeah run out and buy his RC gear but your still not going to get beyond the build of the weekly supplied mag, its fine chopping the ship about to install his RC gear but they and especially he simply does not know what is to come over the 140 week span, at least us here can keep an eye in what comes in the mags with Germany being 25 mags in front ;) 

Daryl

« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2007, 08:53:45 am »

I noticed in one of his posts he mentioned a vibration when he ran his set up at top speed, his solution was to ignore it as he thought the problem went away when the hull was in water. I'd be inclined to find out why and cure it. first place to look is if those Lassek props are balenced, but judging by the skill level of most of the builders on that site they might struggle to balence them properly.

i've never some across anyone who has r/c the Hachette/Amati Titanic. I did see one modela t weymouth but did not manage to speak to the builder. He was sailing it in the pool at the Pavilion, it looked a bit unstable to say the least when it turned, in fact on more than one occasion he looked a bit worried. Great looking model I hope he is there this year.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2007, 09:19:01 am »

Hi Martin

Its on the buildthebismarck.co.uk site within the German RC gear topic on page 5 and is the 2nd posting.

Somthing is not all as it seems here, if you look thru that topic from the start one minute he has black nylon props in place shown twice then suddenly out come the brass ones from Lassek, so does his vibration comment relate to having the nylon props installed or the brass ones or is it related to his set-up?

Daryl - like you say all that has happened is that the the vibes have been muted by the water, they are still there so he could be talking problems in the long or even short term, why I said previously possibly a great next TV ad for the Renault Megane as its a*s in this case might well be shaking ;D

Daryl

« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2007, 09:25:53 am »

And if the stern is not strengthened enough then it could fall off like the real one. A friend of mine had a small diameter prop shaft oscillate in the middle, took ages to work it out, he fitted a bearing in the middle of the tube and hey presto problem solved.

Daryl

Daryl

« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2007, 11:00:20 am »

Just had this reply from jacklin, I sent the e-mail to Hachette.

Dear Daryl Dobbs,

SUBJECT: BUILD THE BISMARCK.

Thank you for your e-mail dated: 12/06/2007.

From issue 23, the step-by step instructions will give the opportunity to
make the model either static or radio-controlled.

For the people who choose the RC option, there will be a special offer to
get the engine and the RC unit. The offer will be confirmed later on.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us
directly.

Please accept my sincere apology for the late response.

Yours Faithfully
Jonathan Moleta
Customer Care

looks like a bogstandard reply. The same I got word for word last week. They still prattle on about the step-by-step instructions giving the option of installing r/c gear.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2007, 11:13:01 am »

Am puzzled by what they mean when they say "the offer will be confirmed later on"

So does that mean you can order it at 23 and its cost will be confirmed later, or they will confirm later when you are to receive it, or details of the RC pack are in 23 but it will be offered later on?

It seems a bit vague to me, it could also be ages before anyone sees it, by then its installation surely gets more taxxing ???  Germany were told it was expected there last autumn....they are still waiting for it to surface :o

Have you seen the posting today on the site from a guy who's build is at 11, he now wants to hack his hull to accomodate the german guys 3 motor set-up and asking him to post the detail on how to set about the hacking, its all going to get very ineresting ::)

Daryl

« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2007, 12:42:27 pm »

yes I have seen the post, it seems an epidemic now to build as far as part 11 then go into driller killer mode and start hacking the keel around. I will follow this lot with interest to see how they get on. I have done a r/c conversion similar to the German on a Billings boat, not easy and lots of reinforcement needed. Good luck to them I think they will need it.
I like the earlier post about the guy who didn't have a drill long enough so he drilled from both ends and still had a gap in the middle, so he heated up a nail and burned the remaining bit out. Umm on a wooden hull brave or foolhardy man.

The letter I got was word for word the same as the one I got from Amati last week, the questions I asked hachette/jacklin was. 1/ when are we going to install the prop shafts, 2/ when are we going to order the R/C gear and when will it arrive and 3/ what battery is supplied and what charger is it 240v for the UK. Nice of them to answer so vauge, doesn't inspire confidence.

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2007, 12:56:02 pm »

Well at least you got a reply, I have had no reply so far from Amati or Hachette on the exact same questions, even so I suspect any reply would ditto those you've had, for some reason they are playing there cards close to there chests or there really is something they dont want us to know, why else be so vague?.... its not rocket science or then again for some people at the South African call centre this might well be the case ;D

Daryl

« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2007, 01:15:22 pm »

One thing I have noticed is that most of the .co.uk bunch are members of the .com site. But on the .com site there is no german flogging r/c gear, I wonder why.

Hachette almost seems to be making this up as they go along, I wonder how far ahead they are in ordering the parts for the mag, I assume Amati has finished designing it and a pre-production model exists somewhere. i am surprised they don't have a help line when the build goes wrong, I am sure it would be a money spinner for them. just look at some of the questions on .co.uk. The apparent differences between the German pictures of the R/C gear and the pictures in the pull out of issue 1 is interesting, unbranded motors, cheeper? changing supplier, or waiting to see how many people in the UK and Germany order the stuff to get the best price for themselves by ordering in bulk.

As Hachette/Jacklin got brances in New Zeland and Australia I wonder if the Bismarck is on sale there?

Daryl

Down below

« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2007, 02:01:59 pm »

Maybe this is why there response was to say the RC pack will be confirmed later, its all as clear as mud.

Also seems odd as to why the UK pullout leaflet only shows a couple of the RC pack items, very minimal to say the least, you would have thought showing a nice spread of components like the offer sheet does would entice more to buy into it.

My guess is that the mag parts will be ordered three of four mags in front of what is on sale, as dont forget each month the number dropping out of the series will grow and as a result Hachette will need less mags to fulfil orders ;)

Daryl

« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2007, 02:46:23 pm »

a few more will drop out if they muck up the cutting job on the keel to put a third motor in. I wonder is it only on sale in the UK and germany?

Daryl

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2007, 02:53:42 pm »

Daryl,

No sign of it here in Tasmania Australia, pity I would not mind having a go myself........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Down below

« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2007, 03:06:10 pm »

Daryl - it seems to be on sale in.....wait for it......Poland of all places, now who in there right bonce would think of launching a Bismarck series in Poland of all places? maybe all really has been forgiven.

Cant see it anywhere else not even in Hachettes home land but they do have what looks like a nice wooden boat on the go if its ok with martin

Daryl

« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

Nice, I'm sure that would sell well wherever its launched.

Poland :D :D :D

Fawlty Towers springs to mind  ;D ;D ;D

Looks like its only Germany and us.

Daryl
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.