Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 57   Go Down

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1279155 times)

marki53

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #400 on: July 08, 2007, 12:34:22 pm »

I had a look last night to try to find pictures of the German Titanic but couldn't find any. I wonder if he got it to work, I ahve only seen a couple of R/C Titanics one at 1/144 and the Weymouth model at about 3-4 ft long, both were a bit unstable when turning and both owners didn't sail them when it was choppy. Titanic does not seem to convert to r/c well with a narrow beam.

Daryl

do you mean this one in 1:200 ?
pics unfortunately show her in not finished condition, BEFORE converting to 3-motor-setup

markus

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #401 on: July 08, 2007, 02:49:50 pm »

I like that Markus, really good, especially the last picture, best 'lit up ship' shot I've ever seen, we need more proper modellers contributing to this forum. Puzzled why you put smoke in that 4th funnel though, I suppose you know that it was only a ventilator on the full size Titanic?
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

marki53

« Reply #402 on: July 08, 2007, 04:43:03 pm »

I like that Markus, really good, especially the last picture, best 'lit up ship' shot I've ever seen, we need more proper modellers contributing to this forum. Puzzled why you put smoke in that 4th funnel though, I suppose you know that it was only a ventilator on the full size Titanic?

i know it was only a vent, but i liked the look of 4 steaming funnels...

markus

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #403 on: July 08, 2007, 05:42:09 pm »

Markus! Your MY kind of modeller!     Martin  ;D

i know it was only a vent, but i liked the look of 4 steaming funnels...
markus
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Daryl

« Reply #404 on: July 08, 2007, 11:20:03 pm »

Good hsots of the Titanic, ihave jsut returned from weymouth where I had the chance to talk to a guy who adapted the amati Titanic. How well does yours sail any pictures?. How much of the original hull did you use. Does it float on the waterline, how does it react to side winds? It looks like you only used 2 motors any reason why not 3.

The one I saw today had fibre optic scuttles and the centre keel was removed and the inside of the hull coated with fibre glass, He didn't sail it due the the wind conditions, in fact in turns with all 3 motors it does lean over dramaticaly. A good model but not a stable one, but reasonably quick.

Daryl

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #405 on: July 09, 2007, 07:54:30 am »

...and what do you have playing from the speaker  ;)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

marki53

« Reply #406 on: July 09, 2007, 08:01:20 am »

Good hsots of the Titanic, ihave jsut returned from weymouth where I had the chance to talk to a guy who adapted the amati Titanic. How well does yours sail any pictures?. How much of the original hull did you use. Does it float on the waterline, how does it react to side winds? It looks like you only used 2 motors any reason why not 3.

The one I saw today had fibre optic scuttles and the centre keel was removed and the inside of the hull coated with fibre glass, He didn't sail it due the the wind conditions, in fact in turns with all 3 motors it does lean over dramaticaly. A good model but not a stable one, but reasonably quick.

Daryl

these are the only pics, had to sell her after finishing due to financial problems :(
i used the complete hull as provided by mantua models
yes, it floated on waterline
yes, side wind and the titanic aren't good friends ;)
in the begining i was afraid of cutting the centre keel, that's why the 3 motors were fitted later (3 speed400 instead of 2speed500)

some weeks ago i began with a new titanic, this time with 3 speed500 ;D and 8 cells 9000mAh instead of 16 cells 4500mAh. this will put the main weight more to the middle.
also this time i won't use plexiglass for lighting the superstructure
hopefully these changes will result in a really stable model

markus

marki53

« Reply #407 on: July 09, 2007, 08:14:26 am »

...and what do you have playing from the speaker  ;)

...the sound of a modified steam-loco sound generator.
this generator had an input contact to be mounted at the piston rod of a (electric) loco
so i connected a modified servo (without poteintiometer so i could turn freely) to the drive motor.
with a micro switch being triggered by the servo arm i had some kind of a mechanical 'voltage-depending-impulse-generator' for that loco module
sounded great !!

markus

Daryl

« Reply #408 on: July 09, 2007, 10:17:38 am »

are you having another go at the Mantua kit, are you going to use all of their option packs as there have been questions over the accuracy of their parts. Are you going for their option 3 kit or doing your own thing. The guy I had a long talk to at weymouth mentioned it was not the best kit he'd seen but an eyecatcher.

Daryl

marki53

« Reply #409 on: July 09, 2007, 10:45:42 am »

are you having another go at the Mantua kit, are you going to use all of their option packs as there have been questions over the accuracy of their parts. Are you going for their option 3 kit or doing your own thing. The guy I had a long talk to at weymouth mentioned it was not the best kit he'd seen but an eyecatcher.

Daryl

yes, started the mantua kit again
accuracy is a bit better than from amati's bismarck
the mantua kit is fantastic if you modify a bit here and there
some building steps are really nonsense and can be done better
also the original drive set with 2  540 motors mounted pretty high, driving the shaft via rubber band is rubbish

...almost sounds like amati, doesn't it ????

so i will buy the rest of the kits, except for the drive kit

markus

Down below

« Reply #410 on: July 09, 2007, 10:56:08 am »

The Mantua kit is a planked hull is it not?....do Mantua also sell a GRP full hull for this kit?

I cant think of many modellers that would want to tackle a 2nd exact same model after finding the first to be unstable, the Titanic in RC form seems to be well documented as being unstable in cross winds & turns, it will be interesting to see if your modifications sort out the inherent stability problems.

Daryl

« Reply #411 on: July 09, 2007, 10:58:46 am »

compaired to rivitcounter.com or encylopedia titanica a lot of modifications are needed to both Amati and manuta to solve all the detail problems. excellent referance sources which can be verified independantly.

DAryl

Captain Povey

« Reply #412 on: July 09, 2007, 12:04:18 pm »

Hi Martin. I think you are getting to be a real planker  ;) and it looks really good.  From my limited experience with a static Santa Maria and the recent St Canute it was planking down to the keel that worked for me. The real tricky/interesting/frustrating bit was tapering the planks at the bow and stern to fit correctly. Have you had to do any of that yet? Cheers Graham

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #413 on: July 09, 2007, 12:26:49 pm »

"Real Planker!" Good one Del Boy!   ;D

No not done any of the bottom planking yet..... not enough alcohol in the system yet! Not looking forward to it either......
I'm going to have another go at the bow planking this week.
Are there any recommended planking clamps, pins, tools that anyone can recommend?

Hi Martin. I think you are getting to be a real planker  ;) and it looks really good.  From my limited experience with a static Santa Maria and the recent St Canute it was planking down to the keel that worked for me. The real tricky/interesting/frustrating bit was tapering the planks at the bow and stern to fit correctly. Have you had to do any of that yet? Cheers Graham

Down below

« Reply #414 on: July 09, 2007, 12:37:03 pm »

Have a look in here,

www.miskinmodels.com

Too much planking can make one go blind ;)

Captain Povey

« Reply #415 on: July 09, 2007, 02:19:40 pm »

Hi Martin, I struggled with the wifes dress making pins, clothes pegs and whole,veriety of clamps as you have already tried but those on the Miskin site suggested by 'Down Below' look fantastic. I wish I had known about them before. Cheers Graham  :)

herby

« Reply #416 on: July 09, 2007, 09:00:38 pm »

Hi Marki53.

I try find thous mantua's and amantis kit's at net, whitout any result. If u have any link to some online shop where they sold thous bismarck kit's, can u put them here? I didnt find anything at manufacturer's site.

-Herkko

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #417 on: July 09, 2007, 09:44:44 pm »

Hi Graham,

I working on the bow planking at the moment, very tricky! :P
I've just ordered a set (10) of these off ebay.....

Daryl

« Reply #418 on: July 09, 2007, 10:53:06 pm »

herrko- the Bismarck kit by Amati is a part work sold in the Uk by Hachette, they intend to distribute it around europe over the next few months. Amati does not yet sell this kit them selves, each part available from newsagents or hachette cots £4.99 and runs for 140 issues.

if you would prefer to buld from scratch a Bismarck try www.fleetscale.co.uk or www.sirmarmodelships.com.
Kits are or will be available from Tamiya, Academy and Revelle at 1/350 scale.
Aeronaught do a kit but it is not that accurate.
Another supplier is from Italy is www.pinimodelli.com/navigazione/home.asp

Hope this helps
Daryl

marki53

herby

« Reply #420 on: July 10, 2007, 08:07:17 am »

Hi Daryl. Yes it helps alot. Thanks. =) I just think did i miss some amanti's new kit.

-Herkko

Down below

« Reply #421 on: July 10, 2007, 08:18:49 am »

The Amati Titanic was a partwork series promoted by Hachette, you can now buy this as a full kit from Amati stockists.

I should imagine that when the Hachette/Amati Bismarck 140 week series nears its end Amati may then release this model as a full kit as this is what they did with the Titanic ;)

Daryl

« Reply #422 on: July 10, 2007, 10:15:55 am »

Marki- did you manage to locate a grp hull for your Titanic or are you buuilding one of wood?

DAryl

mark_1984

« Reply #423 on: July 10, 2007, 10:51:51 am »

Hi Martin,

Have a look at my site - week 11 to see these planking clamps in action.

www.buildthebismarck.co.uk/011.htm

Cheers
Mark

Hi Graham,

I working on the bow planking at the moment, very tricky! :P
I've just ordered a set (10) of these off ebay.....

Down below

« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2007, 01:02:57 pm »

Hence why recommended them ;)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.