Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 57   Go Down

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278981 times)

Daryl

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #550 on: July 27, 2007, 12:54:32 pm »

Martin, what are you going to do with the third prop? glue it to the centre piece and put up witht he drag, drill a small hole and resin a stub in lace to attach it to or have a shaft hanging out the back end somewhere? or even miss it out altogether as Amati suggested in an e-mail to me

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2007, 03:55:42 pm »

Before I start I am not building one ,but a way around it  if you are not fitting a motor is to fit the shaft and block the hole on the inside and only slide the prop and shortend shaft in when it's on dispay. so no drag.

Peter

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #552 on: July 27, 2007, 07:03:29 pm »

TGIF.....thank you all for your comments and lessons on glues and resins. It's been some time since I have done modelling and there are a few new terms and items out there. Well the weekend is upon us and I was told to expect my next 4 issues next week as well as my planking clamps by ebay.
So its off to footy practice with the little guy tomorrow and more sanding in preparation for blanking, by the looks of the weather.
Cheers again, Robert.
oh yeah, can anyone recommend a good hobby shop for rc boats near Torbay?

marki53

« Reply #553 on: July 29, 2007, 10:37:01 am »

Difficult to see how this is a tried and tested setup for this kit, Germany only had the bow piece in issue 43, they are on issue 47. Thats a bit quick to glue it and then state its tried and tested, for how long? I thought his kit was going on for 140 issues?

wouldn't it be a good idea to support local model shops where possible. Your list stated you used 3 graupner 2307.30L props and 3 2307.30 props that equals six, fast boat?

couplings   from George turner models     £4.50 x2   = £9
Graupner speed 400 from George turner models £6.45 x 2 = £12.90
shafts x 2 from Gerge turner models £4.50 = £9
3 props from George turner £2.50 each = £7.50
Total £38.40 + max £4 p+p
60 euros at the current excange rate equals £40

I think I know who I would support. But as you said each to their own

as posted before, i already tested the drive on a lake, with my bismarck of course

i guess this one hour of running the ship was enough to test all components

martin asked me for some spare props, so i sent him 3 additional props for free

i don't care for supporting local shops, i buy my items from where they're cheapest - even if this was a dealer from another country

if you add those stainless steel fastening screws for the motors in your calculation you'll notice that buyers receive a tested drive system for less cost than bought in the UK - delivered to your home.

i know who i'd support of i was offered this ;)

cheers

markus

Daryl

« Reply #554 on: July 29, 2007, 02:19:50 pm »

How have you tested your hull on a lake you have only just received the bow, one of your postings on the other forum mentions you testing your hull, interestingly before Germany received the bow. What did you treat the hull with, all the pictures I have seen no protective coating was visable. You mention s/s screws Martin didn't, is this an attempt to justify the cost? The prices I quoted are from buisness who make a profit by selling to hobbists r/c equipment, I could tell you the average mark-up but I guess you know that allready.

Graupner props are readily available in the UK, but free samples are a good marketing tactic. Pictures of your test would be welcome, after all it would be nice to show your customers the finished working product. but I expect you didn't take a camera with you ;D ;D ;D

slewis

« Reply #555 on: July 29, 2007, 03:08:47 pm »

Lets keep this civil chaps please .I am watching this thread closely

Shane

marki53

« Reply #556 on: July 29, 2007, 04:58:16 pm »

I've posted several times how i sealed the hull - so look for those posts and you can read for yourself what i used for sealing ;) hint: it's a 'graupner' product

if you compare the 'color' from superstructure and hull you'll maybe notice a difference, guess which of them is sealed..

so her maiden voyage was no problem, even without bow part

justify the cost ??? - no need for that, i deliver all those parts for the same price (maybe less) than if you bought them yourself
good marketing tactic ??? - laughable, i just did him a favour with those spare props

my mark-up would be huge if my last name was 'graupner', but unfortunately i have to buy all those items myself from a model shop which already made profit from selling them

i guess you know that you cannot buy graupner items directly, in germany graupner parts can only purchased from model shops

Moderated - Martin
markus

Daryl

« Reply #557 on: July 29, 2007, 05:10:44 pm »

Moderated - Martin

You say the maiden voyage was no problem how can that be without the bow, the handling would be different to the completed model. Pictures would be nice.

I guess  the funds from the sales would come in handy, you have stated that the hachette supplied equipment is rubbish, if you look further up the page you will find it to be of excellent quality, yet you supply simillar equipment ??? ???

you have said you sealed the hull yet it is incomplete, wouldn't that make finishing it difficult, for further details of what we are going to get to finish the detail on the hull ask Amati or look at archive photos and compaire.

marki53

« Reply #558 on: July 29, 2007, 05:20:34 pm »

Handling with or without bow is the same, only the waves coming from the bow look a little different

i never said that the (graupner) parts hachette used are rubbish, it's just HOW they made a drive of it. look at the pics of their drive built in - this looks horrible

the sealing is sandable, so i won't have any problems gluing the shaft supports or other parts afterwards

that's the reason why i didn't paint the hull by now - this would make things more difficult.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #559 on: July 29, 2007, 11:28:21 pm »

HI All !
Good weekend everybody?  ::)

I bought my motor set from marki53 because:
1. I don't like the Hachette motor setup (I wouldn't use it as is even if it was free).
2. I like the components and setup marki5353 offered and would have gone that route anyway.
3. I couldn't be bothered to go find the part numbers of the individual components & supplier myself, (I always mess up orders like that!)

I'm happy with marki53's motor setup. I know there will be oodles of extra power ("anti Duck speed!") as I've seen the motors setups that Ron Dean fits in similar size ships and he's always banging on about over powered models. We could start a whole new topic about "scale speed", "true speed", "transition time" or "relative scale speed", personally I prefer the "wake patten" reckoning, but that's just me......

It's a fair point to ask marki53 to show 'on the water' pictures or video with his setup if that helps.... over to you marki53
But it's also fair to say "buy or don't buy", Marki53 is only offering an opinion and a service , it's not compulsory or nuffink!

"Yous pays ya money & makes your choice!"

Martin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Cargo

« Reply #560 on: July 29, 2007, 11:49:48 pm »

slewis

« Reply #561 on: July 29, 2007, 11:50:41 pm »

says it all

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #562 on: July 30, 2007, 12:00:04 am »

Re: Centre prop. Not sure yet, thinking of a free running prop or a false prop ie. same profile but flat fully feathered blades..... that gonna look crap ain't it.   :P
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Down below

« Reply #563 on: July 30, 2007, 09:51:36 am »

Handling with or without bow is the same, only the waves coming from the bow look a little different

i never said that the (graupner) parts hachette used are rubbish, it's just HOW they made a drive of it. look at the pics of their drive built in - this looks horrible

the sealing is sandable, so i won't have any problems gluing the shaft supports or other parts afterwards

that's the reason why i didn't paint the hull by now - this would make things more difficult.

Simply to address the balance and state the fact, sorry Marki but you HAVE described the Hachette RC set as being "rubbish" and have noted below exactly what you have said via your posts on the build the bismarck.co.uk web forum:

May 21st - " Hope you dont intend to buy that AM control offered by Hachette, this is rubbish."

June 11th - "Hachette RC set was designed by the chairwoman."

June 8th - "The main disadvantage from Hachette's set are they used parts which result in a look totally different from the original."

.......This only applies to the rudders in which the chief designer for this model at Amati (Sergio) has openly and fully commented why the rudders are not scale and there reasons behind this.

June 8th - "In my opinion this partwork is suitable for advance model builders especially if you want to make a R/C model of it."

.....In which case your own comment on this (one would assume) would then make your 3 motor conversion totally unsuitable for the novice it appears you readily sell this conversion to the novice with no regard for what you know to be fact.

It simply comes down to 'each to there own' re components be it cost or spec, but as for a complex 3 motor conversion such as yours then there needs to be a responsibility on your part to make it quite clear that such a conversion is not an easy task to undertake and get right BEFORE it being sold to the novice.

I think at least we are all in agreement that the Graupner gear is good quality which ever route one goes down with this gear ;)

The Hachette RC set may be as you describe in your eyes but Amati seem to think it fits the bill and that is where this matter is best left ;)

gary r uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #564 on: July 30, 2007, 09:59:09 am »

hi martin
the centre prop on my scharnhorst is a free spinner otherwise you suffer from biased steering as one prop is going one way with 2 others going the other so you use the rudders more just like on the real ship
gary
SAILING WITHOUT FAST ELECTRICS PRICELESS

Down below

« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2007, 09:31:07 am »

I see the Hachette RC pack offer is on sale this week within issue 23, not delivered until 58 though :o

Martin, do you intend to go down the route of the mag advised method of using of gauze bandage & PVA for sealing of the inner hull as described in 18?.....seems a bit of wishful thinking to me ::)

Cargo

« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2007, 11:28:50 am »

The use of graupner "glattfix" is a good choice for sealing wood. It goes right into the wood and seals it from "within". First choice for all sealing jobs. This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!... ;)

Down below

« Reply #567 on: August 02, 2007, 12:00:42 pm »

Thanks for that Jan, have heard a few other's mention this product and sing its praise's but finding it in the UK is near impossible :(

red

« Reply #568 on: August 02, 2007, 02:57:40 pm »

When you go to deans Marine, Have a look at the kits and ask the nice Ron Dean for help. tell him you are going to build it on line and ask him what is he  going to give you to build.

Fred

Oh and have a viking funeral for next doors cat with the bismark

Down below

Re: Martin DOESN'T Build the Bismarck!
« Reply #569 on: August 02, 2007, 03:33:44 pm »

Martin

Suggest you vent your problems direct when she returns.

Just a thought........If your build is a 'free of charge' press review kit as you say it is then by rights you should be building by the book ie using the Hachette RC gear which will no doubt be foc to you as well, otherwise the addition of non Hachette supplied running gear will not make your build a true press review of the kit and I bet Hachette wont be too pleased either.

red

« Reply #570 on: August 02, 2007, 04:18:18 pm »

Martin Just put it on the shelf and have a nice holiday , then in a week or so when the next bits come do a bit more. we all get fed up at times during a build, so just play with somethink else. I find that if you have two builds on the go at the same time you can chop between the two as you think about a problem .its not the easeyest boat to build but its looking good so far so just have a break..Fred

slewis

« Reply #571 on: August 02, 2007, 09:57:02 pm »

You better carry on with it   I am running a book on wether it will float or not ! ;D ;D

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #572 on: August 02, 2007, 09:58:37 pm »

Knowing them you will end up with a flood of mags up to issue 24 next week

And all duplicates so you can build the Tirpitz as well!  ;D

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2007, 11:28:23 pm »

evening gents.....totally off topic and atad blurry but moving along in week 11 and the sun has finally come out in torbay....what do you think so far...remember I work full-time...
Robert

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #574 on: August 02, 2007, 11:43:14 pm »

Hi Robert.
Looks good so far, remender to glue each plank to each other and along the inside against the rib.
Once dry poke around and test each joint.
Sand planks along the inside long edge that meet on a curve eg. around the bilge keels so they fit against each other better.

"And your round starts.... Now!"
1. What issue are you up to?
2. What glue are you using?
3. Do you have a postal or shop subscription?

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.