Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278879 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #650 on: August 16, 2007, 01:00:40 pm »

You could allways use Allen head bolts and a Allen key..  not shure how its spelt

Peter

Down below

« Reply #651 on: August 16, 2007, 03:13:15 pm »

The scews that secure the motor's to the ply blocks might be hard to access with a screw driver as then run horizontally and not vertically, not much room between the servo rib and the screw head, maybe 3" at most but suppose it can be done ;)

i use a shortened screwdriver for that

but i'ts still a bit fiddy...

markus

Rest my case ;)

Great idea Peter/HS93 8)

chingdevil

« Reply #652 on: August 16, 2007, 04:05:05 pm »

If you use allen screws you can get allen keys with a ball end will let you tighten up and undo the screw at quite a sharp angle.I am am not sure how they are spelt most of the time I call them hex keys and screws

Brian

Down below

« Reply #653 on: August 16, 2007, 04:42:15 pm »

Thanks for that Brian...it just got better ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #654 on: August 16, 2007, 04:44:32 pm »

Just thumbing through the pile of magazines that have arrived this week, (thanks for sorting that Isabelle), and found the RC pack previously mentioned in this thread, the rudder set up is different for the RC version.

Also:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

marki53

« Reply #655 on: August 16, 2007, 06:59:42 pm »

Just thumbing through the pile of magazines that have arrived this week, (thanks for sorting that Isabelle), and found the RC pack previously mentioned in this thread, the rudder set up is different for the RC version.

looks good ;), doesn't it ? ;D ;D ;D

that's why i used my own propshaft/motor setup and a v-mixer instead of much too big rudders at the wrong place....

Down below

« Reply #656 on: August 16, 2007, 09:02:05 pm »

Martin -

Yes the rudder position is different for the RC version, according to Sergio (the designer of this model) he says this was the best position for the RC rudders being supplied as in performance on the water etc.

Marki -

Nice looking hull, yeah your rudders are slightly different both in appearance and position, but I would hardly say there is that much external difference between the two and what lies below the surface you wont see anyway ;)

An awful lot of people will have pre-ordered the Hachette RC pack, take it you are not laughing directly at them for doing so ???
It seems that you take every possible opportunity in just about every web forum to do down the Hachette RC pack which might suggest you have an ulterior motive :-\

I don't think anyone expected to receive a top of the range RC setup such as yours, don't get me wrong what you have done to date looks the bis, but am sure if they wish to go that route then they will easily find you ;)

Each to there own and it is down to personal choice so lets leave it at that as its starting to sound like a broken record and we have already been down this route previously :D

One question I do have for you, the actual ship has eyebrows on the Hull above the Bow & Stern Portholes, it seems from your photo that Amati have not included this detail on the model, is that correct or would you know if this detail is to be done by the builder, or if Amati are to provide something to give this detail?

My view is that these should be on the model as it is a detail of the model being accurate is it not?

marki53

« Reply #657 on: August 16, 2007, 09:37:47 pm »

One question I do have for you, the actual ship has eyebrows on the Hull above the Bow & Stern Portholes, it seems from your photo that Amati have not included this detail on the model, is that correct or would you know if this detail is to be done by the builder, or if Amati are to provide something to give this detail?

My view is that these should be on the model as it is a detail of the model being accurate is it not?

as far as i'm informed there will be no porthole eyebrows delivered by hachette.
so it seems we have to built them ourself - but this will be a horrible job
maybe a thin copper wire bend on a 3mm drill?
if they aren't delivered there will be no eyebrows on my ship...100% accuracy is not necessary (or even impossible?)

markus

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #658 on: August 16, 2007, 11:19:50 pm »

I thinlk you can but etched brass ones   nice and flat.

Peter

Down below

« Reply #659 on: August 17, 2007, 07:58:45 am »

Thanks for that Markus and I agree about it being a horrible task to undertake O0

If they don't incorporate these then its not good as all of the marketing on this kit is about its accuracy & detail :o

I agree there is no reason why the eyebrows cant be done ourselves, but there is also one other detail on these portholes, the holes themselves appear to be slightly sunken too so it it looks like the removal of material Will also be involved to create the detail, am no purist but I was on the understanding i was building an accurate model :-\

No disrespect to your model Markus as it looks great and no doubt the Hull portholes will look the same on everyones model if Amati don't supply this porthole detail, to me they simply look like a series of holes rather than replicating what they actually are if that makes any sense.

Its not good when we have spent in excess of £825+ for the RC version and would not mind if the model had not been described as " being reproduced from original plans and distinguishing itself through its accuracy and attention to detail".

I did not expect the model to be 100% accurate simply because of all the confusion of which plans are right and who says what, but the porthole detail is such an obvious detail to miss and is plainly visible on just about every photo you see of the Bismarck. I don't even think it is down to scaled down loss as the superstructure portholes appear to be of a similar size and yet they incorporate the eyebrows.

Oh well it looks like yet more work to do :(

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #660 on: August 17, 2007, 12:28:29 pm »

I am not shore ,but at the scale you are working at I'm shore I have seen the brass mounts from servos used ( I think they call them Ferrel's), you just put tape over inside and use clear acrylic casting material and drip a spot in to seal, or buy a length and polish end and push in then cut off and polish back to seal there are not that many its not like building the queen Mary 1000 of the blighter's

Peter

Down below

« Reply #661 on: August 17, 2007, 12:46:13 pm »

This is what we are looking for both at the Bow & Stern as clearly seen here

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #662 on: August 17, 2007, 12:51:46 pm »

I  dont think they are sunken its just the eybrow that makes it look that way just use some brass tube parted off  and a eybrow if you dont use a liner they will never look neat and the same size.

Peter

Down below

« Reply #663 on: August 17, 2007, 01:24:59 pm »

Thanks Peter, maybe a trick of the eye n all that O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #664 on: August 17, 2007, 02:20:19 pm »

Well I'm all up to date with the issues so I'll be working on part 17 tonight.  O0
I've aleready spotted a mistake I've made back at issue 12  >:( - supprised none of you spotted it  ;) - you're slipping guys ::)

Anyway, just looking at the stern picture of Bismarck below ( above - depending on your forum profile! ), that anchor fits pretty snugly!!
How did the crew make sure it seated the right way round when it came up?

Also, I always wondered what those poles were for attached to the side of the ship.
I always thought they were anti torpedo net supports, turns out they are crew gang planks.... well I didn't know!  :-\
... you wouldn't want to come back late at night with a shandy or two inside you and slip on one of those getting aboard!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Captain Povey

« Reply #665 on: August 17, 2007, 02:34:38 pm »

Hi Martin, I definitely do not fancy trying the gang plank. I tried coming out of a hut in Indonesia once down a pole from 12 feet up cold stone sober was bad enough. I suspect those clever German designers made sure that it did not matter which way the anchor came up it stowed as the first arm would catch in the recess and futher pulling rotated the other arm in. Probably wrong but it sounds good. Sorry to be a pain but from what I can see in the picture it looks to me as if all the portholes were recessed. Cheers Graham.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #666 on: August 17, 2007, 02:47:03 pm »

The scuttles will certainly be recessed to the depth of the hull plating but no more than that. Pictures show more detail here (quite an interesting site): http://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/gallery/themes/gallbismstarboardforesection.html

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #667 on: August 17, 2007, 03:11:56 pm »

The problem is at 1/200 the recess will only have to be the thickness of paint, I am not a fan of rivets on models because some commercial hull have rivets the size of dinner plates , I think the way to put a recess would be to use a mask and airbrush a tone darker to show depth.or make a tool out of tubes (one inside the other and just pushand twist  gently to leave a mark.

peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #668 on: August 17, 2007, 03:50:12 pm »

If the scuttles are less that 2mm in diameter I would be inclined to punch them out of black/dark blue Trimline adhesive tape with a leather punch and stick them in place. Thye neatness will outweigh the technical inaccuracy and avoid the need for drilling holes which will have to be lined with some sort of tube and then glazed  as you will never get sufficiently crisp edges in wood.

Down below

« Reply #669 on: August 17, 2007, 04:00:16 pm »

Hmmm

Just to throw a spanner in the works.....

The superstructure portholes which are part of the PE parts do have eyebrows, these holes seem to be approx the same size as the hull portholes, so it could be that the pothole recess on the hull portholes has been lost in scaling but surely not the eyebrows too??

Martin -

We are too busy trying to sort out the Amati problems ;D

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #670 on: August 17, 2007, 04:14:23 pm »

Just out of interest if you look at the rope going from the stern and you blow the picture up slightly it looks like the rope is recessed in the hull and even across the porthole (sorry I cannot call them scuttles as I can only think of coal but I'm not a boat person)

Peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #671 on: August 17, 2007, 04:15:41 pm »

The pictures on the link I posted above clearly show eyebrows on the hull scuttles. Making them from wire would be no problem, sticking them on neatly would! A possibility would be to make a tool out of a quarter section of sharpened brass tube and tap it against the hull above the scuttle. Then paint in the minor indentation in a darker shade of gey. Another possibility would be to make them of wire, put the standard grey paint on them and attach them to the hull while still wet leaving the paint to make the bond - more practical for a static model than a working one though.

Down below

« Reply #672 on: August 17, 2007, 04:21:30 pm »

Thanks for that Collin as this model can be constructed in both static and RC versions O0

and my appologies as i keep calling them hull portholes....Scuttles it is O0

Maybe the work invloved to create this is why Amati have not provided this detail in the first instance which makes a bit of a mockery of there statement of this model being accurate ::)

Cargo

« Reply #673 on: August 17, 2007, 04:32:41 pm »

What is the diameter of the portholes? Found some etched "eyebrows" with 3 mm.

http://www.mz-modellbaushop.de/d_8096_Regenrinnen_fur_3_mm_Bullaugen.php

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #674 on: August 17, 2007, 04:39:31 pm »

I think, to be fair, that 1:200 is a pretty small scale to be putting on on fully detailed scuttles/portholes unless you are a expert modeller or a miniaturist! I don't think this model is supposed to be THAT accurate! The claim of "accuracy" in the hype is likely to be aimed at modellers of more average abilities - otherwise there wouldn't be an adequate market for the series.

There is in fact another way of doing it which I used on my Granada around 30 years ago. The scale was 1:100. I plated the hull with paper and cut out the portholes (merchant ship!) before attaching it to the hull. I then painted carefully inside with dark blue gloss paint. It looked OK see pic:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.