Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1278924 times)

Down below

Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #675 on: August 17, 2007, 05:01:40 pm »

Fair comment Collin, but in that case they should not hype as many in Germany are not to happy with its accuracy, the last place you want to launch a partwork which is an icon if it's accuracy description only turns out to be hype ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #676 on: August 17, 2007, 05:20:57 pm »

Yes, I have been following this thread with some interest and am aware of the criticism. I suppose there are two aspects to the degree of accuracy though. One involves getting the basics right such as the stern anchor which would be apparent at any scale, while the other is concerned with just how detailed can you expect a 1:200 scale model to be? i.e you need to show the scuttles but not necessarily glaze them. Errors of the first type are not acceptable but the amount of detail you'd expect to be shown would depend on the abilities of individual modellers. If Hatchette did supply the eyebrows for the scuttles is it reasonable to expect the average subscriber to be able to attach them accurately without going nuts! They also seem to be taking some liberties with the stern design and shaft alignment for the working model which I wouldn't be too happy about - it's a bit too close to the old practice of adding a bit to the hull depth to improve stability for my liking and means that the model will not look accurate when out of the water.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #677 on: August 17, 2007, 05:22:51 pm »

There are very few kits that will satisfy all you have to remember who this kit is aimed at.  and I would have thought its aimed at a very broad group because of the way it was advertised and sold.  it has to be  able to be built by a novice thats why its not sold through the trade, and at the end of the day someone will have a nice model representing the bismark. as modelers we add our own flair to the build and add or change things we don't like , how many kits do yo see in shops will fit through your letter box as mail ?
I think at the end of the day there is a good basis for all ability's to get what they want out of it..

Peter

Sorry I was posting this at the same time as colin

Captain Povey

« Reply #678 on: August 17, 2007, 10:40:18 pm »

I think Colin and Peter I think have said it all very eloquently regarding scale, accuracy what can be expected of modellers of average ability. Cheers Graham

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #679 on: August 17, 2007, 11:08:38 pm »

Done a bit more on my build....... Here
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

slewis

« Reply #680 on: August 17, 2007, 11:12:27 pm »

Looking good Martin
I wonder ,at this late stage ,of the possibilities of getting all the partworks now from week 1 to today ? then carrying on the build . Maybe a call /email to Hatchette would be in order . I have always been a slow starter  ;D ;D

Shane

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #681 on: August 17, 2007, 11:13:41 pm »

as for the unscale depth of the hull, when a model is on the water who really notices it? the bow thurusters on the sydney star kit at 1/200th are about 2x overscale!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #682 on: August 18, 2007, 12:10:04 am »

looking good martin, what time does boots open...kidding mate.....still on issue 13 and going well.....but tired now so off to la la land as te little un has footy practise in the am
cheers robert

Down below

« Reply #683 on: August 18, 2007, 08:31:25 am »

They also seem to be taking some liberties with the stern design and shaft alignment for the working model which I wouldn't be too happy about - it's a bit too close to the old practice of adding a bit to the hull depth to improve stability for my liking and means that the model will not look accurate when out of the water.

Very interesting last paragraph comment Collin and your input is very much appreciated O0

Coming along nicely Martin ;)

Down below

« Reply #684 on: August 18, 2007, 08:41:07 am »

as for the unscale depth of the hull, when a model is on the water who really notices it? the bow thurusters on the sydney star kit at 1/200th are about 2x overscale!

I agree at a distance your right, but as this model is also being sold as a staic display model then the detail should be as accurate as possible becuse that is what Amati claim this model to be ;)

Captain Povey

« Reply #685 on: August 18, 2007, 10:16:19 am »

Hi Peter, Sorry to go back a bit but ref the Allen head bolts in my part of the enginering world these are often referred to as 'Caphead' or 'Socket head'. The bolt part of the description would indicate that it is only threaded for part of its length and I cannot remember what proportion that is. A screw (machine screw) is threaded along its whole length. Bolts give a more accurate and stronger shear joint and so machine screws are to be found clamping plates which have been accurately located using steel dowels particularly in things like injection mould tools. I expect a lot of you already know this so sorry if this is stating the bleedin obvious. Cheers Graham

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #686 on: August 18, 2007, 10:47:15 am »

Most good model shops who sell model car spares should have the correct ones that have a threaded along its whole length, they where being used on 12th scale cars 25 plus years ago , I'm not shore what size they are for the 380 motors but tamya bugeys had that size motor in some cars, as for the names I could never understand how they came about some of the names for bolts, the other thing to watch is not to use some of the light weight bolts sold for the fly boys as they don't last that long.. one last note the length ...this has to be worked out with care as 1/8 to long or about 3mm can lock the armature and as they will be using wood mounts I would suggest some large washers or make a plate to bolt through to spread the load and make adjustment possible as the wood may become dented. I hope I am explaining this properly ..  thanks Graham. Ill stay out of this thread now as I'm not building one

Peter

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #687 on: August 18, 2007, 10:52:13 am »

With regard to the detail I think we could sum up by saying that what you can actually see on the model should be correct but that the extent of detail to be shown will be governed by the relatively small scale.

Thinking about the suggestion to use bandaging and wood glue to seal/reinforce the interior of the hull, I'm wondering if those materials were chosen simply because they are readily available on the high street. The obvious (to us) suggestion of polyester resin and grp tissue might put the average punter off a bit. Actually, I reckon that resin and modelling tissue would probably do the job.

Maybe you'll find that, having bandaged up the inside of the boat, they'll suggest you paint a Red Cross on the foredeck instead of a Swastika!  ;)

splodger

« Reply #688 on: August 18, 2007, 11:02:21 am »

Maybe you'll find that, having bandaged up the inside of the boat, they'll suggest you paint a Red Cross on the foredeck instead of a Swastika!  ;)

Here's an interesting thought, maybe full-size shipbuilders could learn a thing or two from us modellers. If the original Bismarck had been built with all the inside surfaces of the hull covered with bandage and wood glue, perhaps it wouldn't have sunk, and that would make the model a bit more true to scale as well. On the other hand, I bet that Blohm und Voss didn't have to wait for weekly component deliveries to come through their letterbox though, so maybe this isn't a very sensible suggestion.

Captain Povey

« Reply #689 on: August 18, 2007, 11:18:28 am »

Hi Peter. I am not building one either so maybe I should stay out of the thread but I find it a very interesting build especially Martin's adventure with the the plank and frame. So I just chuck my two penneth in when I think I can add to the general knowledge on the site. I did not mean to put you off as you are quite correct in what you say about motor mounting bolt length especially when using wood. Washers under the heads are essential. I have done it incorrectly and locked the rotor which immediately applies the stall current which in turn discovers weather the speed controller is correctly rated. Cheers Graham  8)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #690 on: August 18, 2007, 11:41:54 am »

This is the motor mount I've used before, a cut down pen display case.....

(Used in my Matchbox Corvette Lightship 'Fastelight')
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #691 on: August 19, 2007, 02:02:58 am »

I have been following this thread with interest, not that I'm thinking of buying one, but it seems the earlier fears of some that the series would not go the distance were unfounded. The Bismarck part work is now being heavily advertised on TV here in Australia, so it must have been a commercial success in the UK.
Peter.

Down below

« Reply #692 on: August 19, 2007, 09:49:09 am »

Looking at the offer leaflet this Bismarck series is either already on sale or to go on sale in the following countries:
Germany, UK, Ireland, Poland, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, France & Italy.

So yes it is very likey to  have been a successful commercial venture as I bet the customer figures are in thousands per country rather than hundreds, X that by £700+ per customer makes it a nice little earner for someone :o

Brian1960clock

« Reply #693 on: August 29, 2007, 09:54:59 am »

Hello gentlemen,
                         I'm new to the forum. Just placed my order for the Bismarck series after reading the comments from all of you. Expecting my first delivery of parts soon.  Is anyone on this forum from Australia ?

Brian from Melbourne , Australia.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #694 on: August 29, 2007, 10:15:12 am »

Welcome Brian!

Will you be building youe model as Static or RC?

Regards,
Martrin
(ps. I'm in Peterborough, England.)

Down below

« Reply #695 on: August 29, 2007, 11:57:51 am »

Further info about payment for the Hachette RC pack:

Once customers have sent in their £10 deposit, they will be sent a letter explaining the detail, the balance of £115 should be paid by the 28th of Feb 2008, they are unable to accept instalments.

Those who pay via credit/debit card or direct debit, payment will be taken 7 days before despatch of the pack which will be the last week of March 2008 as issue 58 goes on sale on the 2nd of April which contains the info for RC instalation.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #696 on: August 29, 2007, 01:52:40 pm »

Hello gentlemen,
                         I'm new to the forum. Just placed my order for the Bismarck series after reading the comments from all of you. Expecting my first delivery of parts soon.  Is anyone on this forum from Australia ?

Brian from Melbourne , Australia.
There is cbr900 and bigfella from Oz, just two who spring to mind.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #697 on: August 29, 2007, 02:31:12 pm »

is down below a give away, orrrrrrrrr, is there another conotation?
grumpy old XXX

Down below

« Reply #698 on: August 29, 2007, 03:02:54 pm »

Nope... a UK based Brit thru n thru, wish I was down below though....the thought of gallons of 4x coming out me ears and those cool ozzy babes sounds mighty appealing ;)

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #699 on: August 29, 2007, 03:20:32 pm »

And also don't forget the warm sunny days with lots of boating activity......... ::) ::) ::)

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.